Oceana v Aurora

janny444

23 hours ago, john watson said:

I suggest this would be around 1960 when Canberra was built.  Canberra was a huge 45,000 ton purpose built cruise ship whereas we were used to 28,000 tons either way you did not have an en-suite. 

Our first P&O cruise was on Canberra and some cabins definitely had en-suites because we had a large outside cabin that had a large en-suite and a large window that looked out over the front of the ship.  Compared to today's ships it was very basic but it got us hooked on cruising.  I remember thinking that it was the height of luxury.  We had tea delivered each morning by the cabin steward because there was no tea making facilities in the cabins then.

I remember that our table companions had a cabin that was low down on the ship and told us that from their deck they had to climb a ladder to get up to the first deck that had a staircase, they also had to share a bathroom.  They also had bunks rather than proper beds.

18 hours ago, SeaJane said:

I agree. We would rather have fewer cruises in a balcony cabin. We enjoy sitting on our balcony and being able to watch the scenery or arrival/departure from ports in the comfort of our own space. Each to their own though! 

We are the same, we always have a balcony because we love spending the early evening sitting on the balcony either watching the departure from the ports or just looking out to sea.  We love to be on the pier side of the ship when they are calling for missing passengers because we like to watch them running or getting spoken to by the officer who is waiting for them ( sometimes tapping his watch to make the point that they have held the departure up).  We have also seen people sauntering towards the ship when it is actually moving from the pier because they are so late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, drsel said:

On another trend, it is widely speculated that Oceana will be one of the 6 Carnival ships to be sold.
is this true?

I really hope not, but the more knowledgeable among us seem to think it's most likely to be true. I hope they're wrong but ---

Avril 

30 minutes ago, drsel said:

Oceana left Port of Tyne early, for an unknown destination.
It was supposed to remain at Port of Tyne till 15 September

It was reported on this forum yesterday that she was bound for Southampton,  due to arrive tomorrow, and then departing on Wednesday. There has been a video posted of her departure as well.

Edited by wowzz