Cruising on a leash

geckoaz

On 6/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, geckoaz said:

I tead today that nassau predicts cruise passeners will be kept on a tight leash. Carnival will be spending a lot and betting a lot on having healthy passengers. Would carnival restrict departures from ship to approved excursions? This might be our travel choice for a long time. Wearing a mask is nothing to not being able to get off the ship. But carnival will not want any unwanted souvenirs.  Would you cruise on this leash?

Yes, I would.. 

If the social distancing on excursions meant fewer participants on the bus, longer stops at 'points of interest' and a higher per person cost. I would be ok with that as long as it meant the ship would be in port longer. I hate those in at 9 out at 4 stops.

2 hours ago, 19cruiser59 said:

If the social distancing on excursions meant fewer participants on the bus, longer stops at 'points of interest' and a higher per person cost. I would be ok with that as long as it meant the ship would be in port longer. I hate those in at 9 out at 4 stops.

You'll probably get two out of your four wishes granted.   Fewer participants and a higher per person cost will more than likely become the norm because of the social distancing requirements. Longer stops at points of interest and longer time staying at a particular port should not change.  The length of the tour is determined by the length of the port stop just like the length of the port stop is determined by how long it will take the ship to get to the next port.   Unless the ship burns extra fuel to make up time, the time parameters between ports are what they are.

Edited by SNJCruisers

On 6/24/2020 at 3:25 PM, geckoaz said:

Wearing a mask is nothing to not being able to get off the ship. But carnival will not want any unwanted souvenirs.  Would you cruise on this leash?

With the exception of a one or two, my wife and I don't even really enjoy the ports in the Caribbean or surrounding locales. 

Especially Nassau, gross. We usually stay on the boat and enjoy the empty ship and no wait for food and drinks by the pool.

The med, Alaska, Canada and New England areas are really the only locations where we enjoy the ports.

At this point, i could care less about masks and see no issues restricting movements.

Speaking of higher costs, has anyone else noticed port fees and taxes are up from 2020 to 2021. The 7 day I booked last week first time on carnival I've paid more than $100 port fees and taxes. Rcl the same april 202 was 97.xx and some I've booked are as much as 122.xx

Expecting ports to charge more? Because fewer pax?

Maybe I'm the only one noticing the higher port fees and taxes or cares.

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Speaking of higher costs, has anyone else noticed port fees and taxes are up from 2020 to 2021. The 7 day I booked last week first time on carnival I've paid more than $100 port fees and taxes. Rcl the same april 202 was 97.xx and some I've booked are as much as 122.xx

Honestly, I don't look at the fees or taxes as they are non-negotiable and are just a cost of cruising. We generally book 2 week long journey cruises to Hawaii, Europe, etc. I've spent so much for the fare, air travel, etc that an extra $30 in taxes doesn't register or cause alarm.

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Aren’t the taxes and fees per ship and split between the estimated amount of passengers onboard? If the passengers are fewer than expected, the cruise line eats the additional cost. If more passengers and the taxes are less, they’re refunded. More times than not, I’ve been given a refund for taxes from Princess.