Cruising on a leash

geckoaz

I tead today that nassau predicts cruise passeners will be kept on a tight leash. Carnival will be spending a lot and betting a lot on having healthy passengers. Would carnival restrict departures from ship to approved excursions? This might be our travel choice for a long time. Wearing a mask is nothing to not being able to get off the ship. But carnival will not want any unwanted souvenirs.  Would you cruise on this leash?

• Like 1

I  have no problem being tested for the virus before boarding, wearing a mask while entering the ship, and wearing a mask while exiting the ship.  Anything else is a big no for me.  There are other vacation options that would not be so restrictive.  I can wait.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

I tead today that nassau predicts cruise passeners will be kept on a tight leash. Carnival will be spending a lot and betting a lot on having healthy passengers. Would carnival restrict departures from ship to approved excursions? This might be our travel choice for a long time. Wearing a mask is nothing to not being able to get off the ship. But carnival will not want any unwanted souvenirs.  Would you cruise on this leash?

Yes. I can do cruises to nowhere.

• Like 2

The only way it would bother me is if I were on a particular cruise to visit a particular port. If my Magic cruise weren't canceled and I flew all the way to Miami to go to Aruba and Bonaire...I might mind the leash thing. Since that one has been canceled I said I'm only booking cruises I can drive to this year. We're talking ports I've been to multiple times. It won't bother me if we're limited. I'd do a cruise to nowhere in that case.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

Since cruising is a voluntary fun thing I do to relax and expand my horizons, any restriction that cramps my style would mean I won't book.  Just as I wouldn't book a resort if I had to be restricted to its property.  No big deal, I'll find other ways to enjoy myself without compromising my health or sanity.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No cruise passengers means no port taxes.  There are islands that want port taxes

Port taxes don't depend on the actual number of passengers on the ship or how many actually leave the ship.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Port taxes don't depend on the actual number of passengers on the ship or how many actually leave the ship.

Ships aren't going to make port calls if cruisers aren't welcome.  Other ports will welcome cruisers with open arms

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

Ships aren't going to make port calls if cruisers aren't welcome.  Other ports will welcome cruisers with open arms

Welcoming cruisers does not mean they are going to kowtow to cruise lines or cruisers. Sovereign nations have responsibilities to their citizens. Unlike the US, most of the Caribbean has the virus well under control and I imagine they want to keep it that way.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

There is no way I would go on either a cruise where I couldn't get off in port or a cruise where the only option was ship excursions. 

I agree, but wouldn't the cruise lines love it if the only option for a passenger to get off in a port was their overpriced excursions. That's one thing we should all be definitely on the lookout for.

• Like 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

I agree, but wouldn't the cruise lines love it if the only option for a passenger to get off in a port was their overpriced excursions. That's one thing we should all be definitely on the lookout for.

Yeah, that's actually the scary part. I could see this becoming part of their re-opening plan since they can claim it's for health and safety while putting more money in their pockets. No thank you, I like cruising, but not enough to put up with restrictions like this.

15 hours ago, geckoaz said:

Thanks for sharing this.  And thanks for sharing the article link.  I found a few more details in an article at http://www.tribune242.com/news/2020/jun/23/cruise-passengers-wont-be-downtown-year/?news&fbclid=IwAR1rLpuPmjdS5TGslruklqB4J7guxfePO1kkxsbish1pSTSkE7NFP5kpo3M .  

To answer your questions from my perspective:

1. I don't think Carnival really wants to restrict cruisers, but their hand might be forced.  Limiting where cruisers can go limits possible exposures on both sides and makes it much, much easier to trace in case someone catches something.  This is part of the reason why I think private islands/destinations will be heavily relied on during the first few weeks after cruises resume.

2.  It depends on the restrictions and the island, but I generally don't mind being limited to the cruise terminal plus authorized excursions for most stops.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Hi Elaine,

That's a definite maybe. There are many questions still to be answered, and that is one of them. We still don't know which ports will be open and when. 

I am still surprised how people seem to make statements which such certainty on topics that nobody knows the answer to.  The English language gives us many ways of expressing thoughts that we are not sure about and even allows us to express an opinion. 

• Like 1