Cruising on a leash

geckoaz

Personally i might like to try a cruise that is all sea days since its hard sometimes to see everything on a ship in the two or three days your not in port and the Ship itself can be the destination.  Plus it may be one way to start cruising back up again safely.  Only 275 more days to go till my next cruise so will see what transpires and cross my fingers.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I agree, but wouldn't the cruise lines love it if the only option for a passenger to get off in a port was their overpriced excursions. That's one thing we should all be definitely on the lookout for.

There won't be ship excursions as you know them.  With social distancing....instead of 50 passengers/bus....you'd have maybe 20.  Less people....equal....more per person.  And, there wouldn't be "get off at points of interest" because of social distancing.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

There won't be ship excursions as you know them.  With social distancing....instead of 50 passengers/bus....you'd have maybe 20.  Less people....equal....more per person.  And, there wouldn't be "get off at points of interest" because of social distancing.

Under your model, would cruisers be allowed off the ship without any excursion?

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Under your model, would cruisers be allowed off the ship without any excursion?

I don't have a model since I don't think cruising will be starting before "it's safe".

I was merely commenting that when you need to reduce passengers on an excursion you need to raise the price per person.  In addition...to maintain social distancing you can't have everyone crowd around "a statue, a souvenir store etc".  They would need more time per site...thus either limiting the places to visit or adding time (and cost) to the tour.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't have a model since I don't think cruising will be starting before "it's safe".

I was merely commenting that when you need to reduce passengers on an excursion you need to raise the price per person.  In addition...to maintain social distancing you can't have everyone crowd around "a statue, a souvenir store etc".  They would need more time per site...thus either limiting the places to visit or adding time (and cost) to the tour.

You could still have the same amount on the excursion but would have to have more busses if their was the demand. Actually, the last Carnival excursion I was on had way under 50 for the bus, possibly because if was from one of their smallest ships.

3 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

No, I will not cruise with those restrictions. I wont even cruise if I am having to be tested prior to boarding. We will try land vacations for a while until the restrictions lessen.

Us too, we are booked at Sandals South Coast in December. We feel much safer with 400 guests over many acre of land and beach. 

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You could still have the same amount on the excursion but would have to have more busses if their was the demand. Actually, the last Carnival excursion I was on had way under 50 for the bus, possibly because if was from one of their smallest ships.

No matter what they could do, it would cost more per person...especially if there's a higher demand because of "the leash thing".

Anyway....being on a leash won't happen.   If the ports wanted to put people on a leash because of health concerns...it would be easier to just not allow the ship in.  

6 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Elaine,

That's a definite maybe. There are many questions still to be answered, and that is one of them. We still don't know which ports will be open and when. 

I am still surprised how people seem to make statements which such certainty on topics that nobody knows the answer to.  The English language gives us many ways of expressing thoughts that we are not sure about and even allows us to express an opinion. 

Money talks.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Until America gets her act together, leash laws will be the rule. When cruising returns I would expect similar.

106284827_185127722955584_37334610807452

This is specific to airline travel. This procedure is not tenable for a cruise ship

• Like 1

Interesting! Thanks for all the links and comments. I'm happy to go on "approved chaperoned" excursions vice just wandering about. Not really overjoyed about it, but then again, like most posters, there's some ports that I'd just as soon sit through onboard. I'm happy to be on the ship, period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, coevan said:

This is specific to airline travel. This procedure is not tenable for a cruise ship

Of course. Grand Turk remains closed to cruise travel for at least another few months. BUT, they could require the cruise lines to certify everyone. Grand Turk is one of the ports that turned away a Carnival ship from debarking passengers after the covid hit the fan.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Until America gets her act together, leash laws will be the rule. When cruising returns I would expect similar.

106284827_185127722955584_37334610807452

I would expect it's possible that you may have to show proof of a negative test within so many days of your embarkation date prior to boarding. If a vaccine is available prior to cruises resuming, that may wind up changing to proof of vaccination.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tidecat said:

I would expect it's possible that you may have to show proof of a negative test within so many days of your embarkation date prior to boarding. If a vaccine is available prior to cruises resuming, that may wind up changing to proof of vaccination.

I think it would be possible for Carnival to offer an inexpensive fast test at embarkation and daily temperature scans. I think that would exceed the requirements for fly in guests.

10 hours ago, coevan said:

Us too, we are booked at Sandals South Coast in December. We feel much safer with 400 guests over many acre of land and beach. 

You will like it there. Book a side trip to YS Falls. Well worth it.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, geckoaz said:

Would you cruise on this leash?

In a heartbeat, the only time we get off the ship is if we're in a port that we have never been to and since we have cruised the Caribbean 30 times, we have hit many ports.  Our next 3 cruises are all on brand new ships, the Enchanted Princess, the Mardi Gras and the Celebrity Apex.

5 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I think I remember Jimbo is booked there. Could be wrong as the memory is the first thing to go.

I thought you were joining us, we could have a brilliant time

Edited by jimbo5544

15 hours ago, tidecat said:

This is specific to airline travel, read it again

• 1 month later...