NCL's final payment date at 120

17 minutes ago, Noworkforme23 said:

Our backup plan vacation is at Loews Miami Beach hotel. We have stayed here in the past. We just sit on the beach all day and have the hotel bring us food and drinks. It is heaven. 
We don’t rent a car, just get a balcony room and enjoy the beach the entire time.   Pure relaxation. 😉

That’s where we were going now in August ....until yesterday when I cancelled . Everything being closed again... bars , beach, masks, and now dine in restaurants as of today.... no way could I risk taking my two young daughters anywhere near Florida now as bad as it is and I had a great rate at Loews for 9 days ....sucks. 

23 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

That’s where we were going now in August ....until yesterday when I cancelled . Everything being closed again... bars , beach, masks, and now dine in restaurants as of today.... no way could I risk taking my two young daughters anywhere near Florida now as bad as it is and I had a great rate at Loews for 9 days ....sucks. 

I understand 👍. As long as the beach is still open and we can stretch out on the hotel lounge chairs with an umbrella all day, I will be there with bells on if we can’t get an extension on our August 14 cruise due date. 

https://www.miamidade.gov/releases/2020-07-06-mayor-order-closures.asp

5 hours ago, Samstress said:

I will be disappointed if we have to cancel this particular cruise that we have booked for January, 2021.  It is a 15 day sailing from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Antartica.  But we have already accepted the fact that we will most likely do just that.  I'm holding on until September 1st when our final payment is due just in case there is a slim glimmer of hope; but I don't see any way that we can commit unless things change drastically.  Ah well, we are still on the green side of the grass....and that makes me happy:-)) Stay safe everyone!  Sandy

We were tempted to book the same cruise but booked the Jan 2022 one instead. Jan 2021 is too soon in our books. 

The other 2022 cruise is the Iceland/Greenland one in July. 

11 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

The other 2022 cruise is the Iceland/Greenland one in July. 

I’m on the 10 day Iceland/Greenland, don’t know which one you booked. I am super excited for that cruise, but kind of afraid that all my cruises between now and then will be canceled. 

I was planning on making final payment on my January Getaway repositioning cruise, and if it didn’t sail just applying the credit to my (replacement) Alaska cruise later in the year and visiting Florida instead. But now with NY having quarantine for many southern states with no sick pay coverage I’m reconsidering. I won’t spend 2 weeks off in January without being to travel-too dark and depressing, but I’m not yet to the point of wanting to give up the time I’ve booked off. I am afraid that if I travel and get stuck quarantining after my boss won’t let me take my a Alaska cruise. I’ve wanted to do an Alaskan for years and will be by the time I am due to sail been planning for 3 years. If I don’t do Alaska next year I won’t do it until 2023 at the earliest, don’t want to do 2 summer Northern cruises in one year. 

I have a short cheap cruise booked and paid in full for 10/10/20 on Sun out of Orlando, final is 07/12 a few days away, at this point if I cancelled I'd still be waiting 90 days so I'll wait let them cancel then file for refund, I will not take a FCC because once you do that's what you are locked into.

I also have two cabins booked for a Trans Atlantic on 04/22/21 final is due 12/23/20, if cruising by then is not even close to normal I'll cancel, I'm not tying up thousands of dollars with NCL, stress over one way air back from Europe etc. The cabins are held only using cruise next and I can wait for them to be returned to my account.

• Like 1

lot can change in 120 days.

If you don't believe me, get your calendars out—120 days ago was March 9th. The WHO hadn't even declared the pandemic yet, and the stay-at-home orders in my state wouldn't go into effect for another 4 days. 

120 days ago, I figured that coronavirus would be a problem for, eh, maybe 6 months or so. We'd be sailing again by Labor Day.

Yeah. Right.

So I will certainly not be making final payment 120 days out. Even before the pandemic, 120 days felt like a lot of time for my money to be tied up.. I remember when the deadline was 60 days, and that felt a lot more reasonable—that's when I would be making my plane reservations, etc. anyway.

All of the deals I ever found on cruises were well after final payment, usually about 4-6 weeks before saildate. Once the ships start sailing again, that's when we'll book.

As for when that will be, I had originally thought early 2021, but now I'm thinking it could even slip into 2022, or later. Given that the very idea of slightly inconveniencing oneself by putting on a mask seems inconceivable to many in the US ("you can't tell me what to do!"), it's going to take that much longer before we can safely cruise again.

It's too bad. I'm going to need a vacation long before the next cruise ship sets sail.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

I’m on the 10 day Iceland/Greenland, don’t know which one you booked. I am super excited for that cruise, but kind of afraid that all my cruises between now and then will be canceled. 

We are on the 11 day one as it includes Nuuk which is the capital of Greenland (ex-Godthab).

3 hours ago, dcipjr said:

As for when that will be, I had originally thought early 2021, but now I'm thinking it could even slip into 2022, or later. Given that the very idea of slightly inconveniencing oneself by putting on a mask seems inconceivable to many in the US ("you can't tell me what to do!"), it's going to take that much longer before we can safely cruise again.

It's too bad. I'm going to need a vacation long before the next cruise ship sets sail.

The lines will never survive if they don’t sail by the beginning of the 2nd quarter of 2021......

• Like 1

I'm right there too!  First family cruise planned for March 2021. Final payment due in November.  When cruises were delayed again until basically October we made the decision to postpone it. No way I feel confident enough to pay that much $$$ when cruises have barely begun again. If NCL made the cancellation policy more flexible we might have waited.  We booked Alaska for August instead but I'm still not confident we won't delay it further. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

We are on the 11 day one as it includes Nuuk which is the capital of Greenland (ex-Godthab).

I debated between the 11 day and the 10, but settled on the 10. Mainly because I am limited as to how many vacation days I can have in a row, so I decided I would rather have an extra day in Iceland. I have wanted to visit Iceland for over a decade. Little bit odd but I’m an avid knitter with a long running intense interest in the knitting/sheep/wool of both Iceland and Shetland. 

I have a cruise a TA next April. Final payment Dec. so many factors have to work to make this happen including where the ship will be. Will it make a TA? Will capacity be less than 100%? I have backup plans if canceled. And just do a land trip but I really love TAs. Thankful I have sometime to see what happens. I canceled 1cruise already. Fingers crossed

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cabincop said:

I have a cruise a TA next April. Final payment Dec. so many factors have to work to make this happen including where the ship will be. Will it make a TA? Will capacity be less than 100%? I have backup plans if canceled. And just do a land trip but I really love TAs. Thankful I have sometime to see what happens. I canceled 1cruise already. Fingers crossed

Yes, December will be the deciding factor for me. How many ships are sailing if any, where the Jade is positioned etc. If I have to cancel the TA, I'll be looking at fall sailings from Southampton on Jade with same itinerary just won't be a TA, will also look for early westbound TA's. We shall see.

• Like 2

We'd been booked for quite some time on this October's westbound TA aboard the Jade out of Italy.  What a great itinerary.  Final payment was July 3.  It was abundantly clear by early May that this cruise was unlikely to go and that, even if somehow it did, there certainly would not be a safe, effective, and widely available vaccine before then, and we knew there was no chance we'd be engaging in that sort of international travel without one, especially the long flight across the pond.  (Not to mention that our airline had already cancelled our non-stop to Rome.)  Since we were never going to make final payment on July 3, we cancelled in May and our deposit was refunded in a few weeks.  To no one's surprise, a number of others on our Roll Call cancelled before final payment as well.   And I see today that there are plenty of cabins available. 

22 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We'd been booked for quite some time on this October's westbound TA aboard the Jade out of Italy.  What a great itinerary.  Final payment was July 3.  It was abundantly clear by early May that this cruise was unlikely to go and that, even if somehow it did, there certainly would not be a safe, effective, and widely available vaccine before then, and we knew there was no chance we'd be engaging in that sort of international travel without one, especially the long flight across the pond.  (Not to mention that our airline had already cancelled our non-stop to Rome.)  Since we were never going to make final payment on July 3, we cancelled in May and our deposit was refunded in a few weeks.  To no one's surprise, a number of others on our Roll Call cancelled before final payment as well.   And I see today that there are plenty of cabins available. 

Yes and in order for the winter Caribbean sailings from Tampa and the eastbound TA next April the Jade somehow needs to get to Tampa, when who knows

• Like 2

I’d be surprised if the don’t extend “Peace if Mind” to include your cruise.   I’m booked for a cruise in October, our final payment was due in June.   They extended peace of mind prior to final payment being due.   Just my opinion, how confident are you they will be sailing this year at all???  If you are confident, and definitely will be on board if they do, make final payment when it’s due, not ahead of time.   

I find it mind boggling that anyone would make a final payment on any cruise right now since no cruise ship around has moved an inch in forever.....I’d want to see several cruises over a few weeks sail and return without issue before doing anything more than possibly putting down a deposit. 

• Like 5

On 7/6/2020 at 12:14 PM, tallnthensome said:

Just wondering for those of you booked for early 2021, is the 120 day out final payment date for a cash refund seriously weighing on your decision to go on that particular cruise? I have a cruise on the Encore booked for early April out of Florida and final payment is due in December. With all that is going on, what will be going on then , and the issues with refunds I am very hesitant to make a final payment in mid December. Any others thinking about this as an upcoming personal issue? I could deal with a 30 or even 60 day final payment but 120 days seems ridiculous to make a commitment of thousands of dollars to an ever changing virus/cruise environment. If cruises start this winter then it may make me feel better but if they want $4K in December and not a single cruise has sailed or sailed safely by then I will probably cancel. Thoughts? Will they change the deadlines?  

I think we might be on the same cruise (April 3 - 10) and we were surprised that final payment was due that early.   I don't remember them being that early.  We are a group of family and friends that rebooked from last April and really hoping we can go. but also want to be safe.  

We also feel once cruises begin and are successful - not only us but everyone will feel more at ease.  This is a scary thing and does not seem to be getting better.  Yes we love cruising but want to be healthy and have everyone around us healthy.

We are also hoping they change the deadline.  It should be 60 or 90 days not 120+ days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

I find it mind boggling that anyone would make a final payment on any cruise right now since no cruise ship around has moved an inch in forever.....I’d want to see several cruises over a few weeks sail and return without issue before doing anything more than possibly putting down a deposit. 

Some people may have a lot of disposable income 😀

13 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I agree, but we just did that about a week ago. ☺️

Here's the thing: cruising HAS already resumed. Hurtigruten had its first cruise since the onset of COVID-19 a few weeks ago. Dream Cruises in Asia begins sailing July 26. Other cruises will follow. MSC is hinting that it may begin sailing again in August. Time till tell, but I personally have no doubt that cruising will go back to normal, sooner rather than later. I know I can't wait to board a ship!

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I agree, but we just did that about a week ago. ☺️

Here's the thing: cruising HAS already resumed. Hurtigruten had its first cruise since the onset of COVID-19 a few weeks ago. Dream Cruises in Asia begins sailing July 26. Other cruises will follow. MSC is hinting that it may begin sailing again in August. Time till tell, but I personally have no doubt that cruising will go back to normal, sooner rather than later. I know I can't wait to board a ship!

For Norwegians and Danes only !!! No others, even the Swedes. Also foreigners will need to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival into Norway. Hurtigruten cruises WITHIN Norway - doesn't go to foreign ports.

The USA is STILL a VERY VERY HOT country. 

Edited by bluesea777

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

For Norwegians and Danes only !!! No others. Also foreigners will need to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival into Norway. Hurtigruten cruises WITHIN Norway - doesn't go to foreign ports.

The USA is STILL a VERY VERY HOT country. 

I"m not sure why you feel the need to shout at me by using caps and exclamation points, but my point is that cruising is resuming. That was the point of my post, and I note that your signature indicates you are booked on 2 Hurtigruten cruises yourself later this year. 😉

25 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I"m not sure why you feel the need to shout at me by using caps and exclamation points, but my point is that cruising is resuming. That was the point of my post, and I note that your signature indicates you are booked on 2 Hurtigruten cruises yourself later this year. 😉

Apologies for shouting at you ... 🙃

Yes, we have 2 Hurtigruten cruises booked - they were booked back in January before the covid-19 pandemic, and we are going to cancel them anyway (because we are not going to be travelling to or via either USA or UK until the vaccine is in - we're not taking any risks). The final payments are due in Sept and I'm waiting to see if Hurtigruten will offer free full refunds of the deposits paid. If they don't, then we'll bite and lose the deposits.

Bermuda airport reopened last week and there have been 4 flights so far - one from Canada - no issues, but however, the 3 Delta flights from Atlanta (with only 40-50 passengers per flight) this week brought 3 positive cases!! They were tested negative before they travelled but tested positive when they landed here (nasal swabs immediately on arrival) - which meant they somehow got infected on their way to airport, in airport or on plane. Bermuda had been virus free for over 2 weeks until this week.

Scary if those 3 had boarded the ship saying they tested negative the 72 hours prior but somehow got infected on their way to port.

Edited by bluesea777

12 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Apologies for shouting at you ... 🙃

Yes, we have 2 Hurtigruten cruises booked - they were booked back in January before the covid-19 pandemic, and we are going to cancel them anyway (because we are not going to be travelling to or via either USA or UK until the vaccine is in - we're not taking any risks). The final payments are due in Sept and I'm waiting to see if Hurtigruten will offer free full refunds of the deposits paid. If they don't, then we'll bite and lose the deposits.

Bermuda airport reopened last week and there have been 4 flights so far - one from Canada - no issues, but however, the 3 Delta flights from Atlanta (with only 40-50 passengers per flight) this week brought 3 positive cases!! They were tested negative before they travelled but tested positive when they landed here (nasal swabs immediately on arrival) - which meant they somehow got infected on their way to airport, in airport or on plane. Bermuda had been virus free for over 2 weeks until this week.

Scary if those 3 had boarded the ship saying they tested negative the 72 hours prior but somehow got infected on their way to port.

No problem, thanks. 😀

Yes, I saw your comment about the new cases in Bermuda on another thread earlier today.

I have stated elsewhere on Cruise Critic that I generally prefer to confine my comments to cruising. There are so many opinions out there regarding the pandemic and (speaking only of my own experience) I find that threads on the subject frequently veer off into unproductive territory and violate the spirit of respectful conversation that I cherish on this site.

I would personally love to cruise on Hurtigruten one day. I am a big fan of Norway and my wife has never been there. It's definitely on our agenda for the future! Thank you.

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

They were tested negative before they travelled but tested positive when they landed here (nasal swabs immediately on arrival) - which meant they somehow got infected on their way to airport, in airport or on plane.

Quite a number of possibilities, but highly unlikely that in this particular situation they got it on the plane or in the airport - assuming all the tests were accurate, they most likely were infected  prior to leaving home.  Had they been infected on the plane, they wouldn't test positive for several days.

Current thinking is you will get a false negative test result:

• 100% of the time on the day you are exposed to the virus. (There are so few viral particles in your nose or saliva so soon after infection that the test cannot detect them.)
  • About 40% of the time if you are tested four days after exposure to the virus.
  • About 20% of the time if you develop symptoms and are tested three days after those symptoms started.

Bottom line in my opinion is that although testing is pretty much all we've got at this point, it certainly isn't failsafe by any means.  And of course, since there is an incubation period, the possibility of someone developing the disease while onboard because of exposure on a plane is highly probable.