The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have to admit when we are in London this is a big help to me.  

In fact on the ship we usually stay on the port side so I know make a right to make my way to the fitness center, market place and laundry room.  Times we have stayed on the starboard side the first couple of days I end up walking towards Palm Court.  

Keith

P1000025.thumb.jpeg.c357054daadaaa2a7256c23f663623c2.jpeg

P1000036.thumb.jpeg.66b20d65d33fd39248760c81274f7c9e.jpeg

I wish they had that in Nassau, New Zealand, and Australia.

Roy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wish they had that in Nassau, New Zealand, and Australia.

Roy

I think Hobart was one of the first places we ever saw that. It was outside the terminal building, along with a large caution sign for drivers "CAUTION!! Cruise passengers crossing street". 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

By all means post yours.  In fact post some photo you've taken when cruising Crystal. Any one of them. 😀

Well alrighty then! Here's Mom, along with our tour guide, in Red Square during our Baltics cruise on Symphony some years back. Nobody is getting a picture like THIS again any time soon! 

Crystal did an amazing job on our Moscow excursion. It was a loooong day - we were up SUPER early to catch a flight from St. Petersburg to Moscow, then we toured Moscow for many hours, then a flight back. I remember that the plane seemed straight out of the 60's - it was a little nerve-wracking! But everything went great. Then when we got back to the ship LATE, they had food out for us to bring back to our cabins for a very late dinner.

Too bad we won't get to do that tour again. 😢 But for Mom, this was just such a huge deal. She grew up watching movies about Russian spies, and of course the many years of the Cold War...to be able to stand in Red Square just blew her mind.

P1100284.jpg

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

By all means post yours.  In fact post some photo you've taken when cruising Crystal. Any one of them. 😀

While I usually try to post photos from the actual day, this one isn't.  This is November 26, 2019 at Grand Turk.  I was on Symphony with Nieuw Amsterdam on the other side of the dock.  Since Carnival owns the port their affiliate had priority for the dock and Serenity was tendering because she had the ability to use dynamic positioning.  This is Serenity "perched" under Symphony's bow,

nestled.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

Well alrighty then! Here's Mom, along with our tour guide, in Red Square during our Baltics cruise on Symphony some years back. Nobody is getting a picture like THIS again any time soon! 

Crystal did an amazing job on our Moscow excursion. It was a loooong day - we were up SUPER early to catch a flight from St. Petersburg to Moscow, then we toured Moscow for many hours, then a flight back. I remember that the plane seemed straight out of the 60's - it was a little nerve-wracking! But everything went great. Then when we got back to the ship LATE, they had food out for us to bring back to our cabins for a very late dinner.

Too bad we won't get to do that tour again. 😢 But for Mom, this was just such a huge deal. She grew up watching movies about Russian spies, and of course the many years of the Cold War...to be able to stand in Red Square just blew her mind.

P1100284.jpg

We did this same tour in 2011. They were taking down scaffolding in front of Lenin's Mausoleum, so I asked our local guide about it. He said it was seating for the Shakira concert the day before!!! I suspect Lenin was spinning in his glass-topped coffin that night!!😁😁

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Going back to the days. I have 5 rolls of film 36 pics each. Take a picture of the ship or pyramids?
I’m showing my age?

We have many photos just with film.  I scan them so sometimes I can post them such as from our first few sailings with Crystal.

Even using SLR Cameras for many is becoming a thing of the past. I still love them but much easier to carry around an iPhone than several pounds of a SLR with a long lens.

Keith

• Like 1

LeeAnne your experience in Moscow and also St. Petersburg, Russia is an example of not to put things off that you can do today.  We were fortunate to visit Ukraine several years ago and even Iran just to see the latter though our own eyes.  Also examples of if you like something and want to go back do it while you can.

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

LeeAnne your experience in Moscow and also St. Petersburg, Russia is an example of not to put things off that you can do today.  We were fortunate to visit Ukraine several years ago and even Iran just to see the latter though our own eyes.  Also examples of if you like something and want to go back do it while you can.

Keith

That's exactly why I'm doing a Paul Gauguin cruise in November. We'll still be living aboard our sailboat at that time (we have about a year left before we sail back to CA), but once we move back to dirt we will have way too much going on to be able to do that cruise. So I'm squeezing it in at the tail end of Mexico's hurricane season, before we begin our 5th season of sailing.

• Like 3

Roy, a decision was made by the local area not to take cruise ships as demand was very low due to the size of ships that could be accommodated and the amount of time to get into and out of the port.  It's too bad because the city is so historic. I only sailed there once which was on Symphony on the famous French Fry Cruise of 2010.  Coincidentally Anne Marie and I visited the city the year before that.

Keith

• Thanks 1

This song came out when I was at University and ironically had gone up to Philadelphia around then to attend a wedding of friends.  Seems like Yesterday, but that was another song back in the day.

Take it away Elton John.

Keith

• Like 3

On my first visit to the UK in 2000 I had a chance to go to an Elton John concert at a relatively small outdoor venue and decided to do something else instead.   BIG mistake!!!  

Happy Freedom Day to the USA!!!  🗽

~Nancy

• Like 2