The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

52 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Not all sunrises are spectacular and this one is barely perceptible.  It's from the Crystal Symphony September 10, 2012 on the way from Dublin to Reykjavik and is a foretaste of what the next few days would be like.

dawn10.jpg

Roy

The fact sunrises happen every morning, without fail, is all the spectacular I need, Roy! 😉

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

On this the 22nd anniversary of 9-11, (  am thinking about the people who lost their lives on that horrible day, as well as their families

My parting shot today relates to the George Washington Bridge. When I cross it I usually just walk to the point I am back over land and turn around. Today I continued to the very end. Next to the New Jersey cable anchor I found a small memorial. It was to bridge Police officer Bruce Reynolds and was dated 9/11/01. I had not realized that people had been sent to the scene from so far (about 10 miles) away. Just a small memorial at the spot where he spent his working life. Officer Reynolds, thank you for your service and your sacrifice

memorial.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

Shortly after Serenity arrived to New York City on September 15, 2016 as part of the NWP voyage, Anne Marie and I walked from the port to the 911 memorial.  I didn't take a photo of it but as we got close to the memorial there was an elementary school on the right hand side.  I am almost certain children would have been outside on the playground and others would have been inside and seen and/or heard each plane crash into the twin towers. I've thought about that often along with the tragedy of that day.

This is a photo from the memorial.

If you haven't visited before I encourage you to visit. You can spend hours and hours there.  

Keith 

P1110576.thumb.jpeg.19d830538336cb6276a1dd47d1c50e0e.jpeg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is another from my Crystal Symphony transatlantic, literally the calm before the storm.  We were in Reykjavic for an extended day since storms kept us pinned to the dock well into the evening.

surnrise12.jpg

Roy

I remember it took two big tugs in "line-astern" to finally get us off the dock about 10:00 PM!! And THEN the "fun" started!!!!

• Like 1

It is interesting to me that relatively quite a few of us on this forum were on that 2012 cruise that had so many problems/issues.  Port skipping - I tend to forget but there was another in Iceland we were supposed to stop at but that was cancelled due to weather at the beginning. Then since we were so late leaving  Reykjavic we skipped Halifax (even though we passed Halifax several hours before we were due to dock).  Then when we got to NYC we were very delayed getting off since they hadn't gotten the customs people on board in Halifax that would have done a lot of the clearing before we landed in NYC.

It was because of this cruise that I had mentioned concerns with hurricane Lee which could still affect the trip to Quebec or from Quebec to NYC with winds, waves etc.  Hope all goes great

• Like 3

Hurricane Lee certainly looks like a concern.  I have a friend boarding Jewel of the Seas tomorrow for a cruise from Bayonne to Halifax and Greenland.  Instead, tomorrow they sail all the way to Manhattan for a night or 2 and then skip Halifax and go straight to Greenland.  Strange things happen in Hurricane Season.

Roy

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Hurricane Lee certainly looks like a concern.  I have a friend boarding Jewel of the Seas tomorrow for a cruise from Bayonne to Halifax and Greenland.  Instead, tomorrow they sail all the way to Manhattan for a night or 2 and then skip Halifax and go straight to Greenland.  Strange things happen in Hurricane Season.

Roy

Whoa, shades of your Sandy adventure.

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is another from my 2012 Crystal Symphony Transatlantic.  It was a sea day from Reykjavik to New York, much delayed by storms.  Most of the outdoor space was closed but I did get out on the back deck briefly:

dawn14.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Some Crystal Harmony memories, from her first couple years in service…

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0012_a.thumb.jpeg.bac165c6a86b2864a7ce43ca34391034.jpeg

The aft elevator lobby on Tiffany Deck 6.  This area changed a lot on the subsequent ships.

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0013_a.thumb.jpeg.ca10293f5411aa0de5b3d73fb8ad2795.jpeg

The Vista Lounge at Sunset.

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0060_a.thumb.jpeg.eddbf0d1b5343c23febad9631addee01.jpeg

The Trident Bar when it still dipped down into the Neptune Pool.  The sunken bar-top on the right-hand side of the photo (beyond the white tiled pool surround) served the swim-up barstools inside the pool in its early years.

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0035_a.thumb.jpeg.f0c08010b7ad18d5b9619e3ed75849be.jpeg

The Crystal Plaza’s original furnishings, and with the fountain in action.

Time flies…

Vince

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Love it when The Historian reaches into the stacks.  Also, have to admit I kinda like a swim-up bar and that Crystal Plaza look, even if it's easy to imagine Hef lounging there.

My pleasure!  I liked the Plaza’s original look too…. That was my era of decor.  Lol. Comfy, overstuffed things.

Here was the Cove’s original look, just to round out the peek of the Plaza:

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0033_a.thumb.jpeg.957b2ce8553ecd49c20a29f89e522817.jpeg

Vince

• Like 4

15 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Some Crystal Harmony memories, from her first couple years in service…

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0012_a.thumb.jpeg.bac165c6a86b2864a7ce43ca34391034.jpeg

The aft elevator lobby on Tiffany Deck 6.  This area changed a lot on the subsequent ships.

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0013_a.thumb.jpeg.ca10293f5411aa0de5b3d73fb8ad2795.jpeg

The Vista Lounge at Sunset.

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0060_a.thumb.jpeg.eddbf0d1b5343c23febad9631addee01.jpeg

The Trident Bar when it still dipped down into the Neptune Pool.  The sunken bar-top on the right-hand side of the photo (beyond the white tiled pool surround) served the swim-up barstools inside the pool in its early years.

Crystal_Harmony_1992_0035_a.thumb.jpeg.f0c08010b7ad18d5b9619e3ed75849be.jpeg

The Crystal Plaza’s original furnishings, and with the fountain in action.

Time flies…

Vince

This series of photos is the very reason we enjoyed Harmony so much and the transition to Symphony was so painless 

• Like 3