The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On 6/12/2024 at 7:05 AM, rafinmd said:

I have a sunset today from my 2009 Blount voyage from Chicago to New Orleans. On June 12 we had arrived in New Orleans.

IMG_1485.thumb.JPG.ea93641715c2dc06c76f6

Roy

I love your photos but this one was just spectacular!  Thank you for sharing the beauty of your voyages!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I hope those of you who live in South Florida are safe.  

Keith

I didn’t know something happened. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ibis said:

Incredible amounts of rain and flooded streets in Fort Lauderdale. I 95 closed.

Oh! Not the first time, and I don’t think the other time was all that long ago. Mother Nature does love asserting herself sometimes, doesn’t she?

• Like 2

A subdued sunrise this morning that looks like it could have been taken in South Florida weather but is actually from MS :Prinsendam Jime 14, 2015 at sea from Limerick to Le Havre:

dawn0614.jpg

Roy

• Like 8

Happy Father's day to all who celebrate it.  Perhaps most of us should as we at least had fathers.

Today's sunrise is from my 2015 Prinsendam Cruise.  On June 16 we visited Zeebrugge.

dawn0616.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

Trip report:  New York, New York, it's(still) a helluva town.

Jaunted off to NYC this past weekend, and hoo boy, 48 whirlwind hours in the Grosse Pomme.

Friday, up on the Acela to the Moynihan Train Hall. Dinner that night at Benoit.  Great food, service was impeccable, very much like being in a Michelin starred joint in Paris.  Striped Bass for OLoPP, quenelles for me(yes, they still serve quenelles, gotta love it.)

Next day, breakfast at our favorite diner: Astro.  I swear this joint is in every European budget travelers guide ever printed.  It's like a mini-UN in there.  You're packed cheek to jowl, and learn quickly to stick to the basics on the menu.  Love it all.

That afternoon, off to the heart of the matter: a production of Steven Sondheim's "Merrily We Roll Along" on Broadway. This show premiered on Broadway a little over 40 years ago, and (in)famously closed after 16 performances. Now it's commanding some of the highest average ticket prices the Great White Way has ever seen, and Sunday night snagged four-count-em-four Tonys(fun fact, the Tony Award is named for Antoinette Perry.)  Starring Jonathan Groff(King George in Hamilton), Daniel Radcliffe(surely I don't have to mention his CV) and Lindsay Mendez(Carousel, Wicked.)  Just a transportive experience. I really don't have the words to do it justice.

That evening, dinner in the Tavern Room at Gramercy Tavern.  Tilefish for me, duck meatloaf for OLoPP.  A perfect close to a magical day.

Coda: Astro's again, followed by the Acela home.  Once back in the door, wow, did that whole thing really happen?     

A taste of the cake:

And this just melted my heart. The arts matter.

• Like 7

As youngster, we looked up to many figures in sports. One of them was Willie Mays aka the Say Hey Kid. He was an amazing player who was known for power, speed and defense. 

He missed 266 major league games due to his military service. The year he returned he was the Most Valuable Player of the National League.

I wonder what his home run stats would have been if he didn't miss close to two seasons and also if he didn't play a good portion of his career in chilly and windy Candlestick Park.

He won the golden glove award for defensive play in the outfield more than any other outfielder in Major League Baseball history.  And the award was not rolled out until I believe his fifth or sixth season.

He was only 5 feet 11 inches tall.

He had many iconic moments and one of those was catching the ball over his shoulder in the 1954 World Series. He also was known for the basket catch.

He began his career with the New York Giants and played in San Francisco when the Giants moved there. He would finish his career back in New York with the New York Mets. I remember his years in San Francisco and when it came to a conclusion with the Mets.

There was a time when each of the New York teams had three exceptional center fielders; Willie Mays - New York Giants, Duke Snider - Brooklyn Dodgers and Mickey Mantle - New York Yankees.

All three are back together again.

Keith

Unknown-15_49_22AM.jpeg.67c388d1ba8b114660fa2c6d9c971dac.jpeg

images.jpeg.8818344df4b0c828ca8bfa9ba180b393.jpeg

images-1.jpeg.462b4ca061f383477078221241238a16.jpeg

• Like 5

As an elementary school student in the Bay Area in the 1960s, in an era when you didn't have instant access to baseball scores, I would come home from school ~ 3:30PM and call the Oakland Tribune on game days, ask for the Sports Department, and ask them what the score of today's SF Giants' game was and how many hits, runs, RBIs and HRs Willie Mays had. 

I did this so often that now there's probably some 100-year old former Tribune sportswriter somewhere wondering where that annoying kid who called every day asking what Willie Mays did is. 

His memory sure is a blessing to me!

willie.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:
As youngster, we looked up to many figures in sports. One of them was Willie Mays aka the Say Hey Kid. He was an amazing player who was known for power, speed and defense. 

He missed 266 major league games due to his military service. The year he returned he was the Most Valuable Player of the National League.

I wonder what his home run stats would have been if he didn't miss close to two seasons and also if he didn't play a good portion of his career in chilly and windy Candlestick Park.

He won the golden glove award for defensive play in the outfield more than any other outfielder in Major League Baseball history.  And the award was not rolled out until I believe his fifth or sixth season.

He was only 5 feet 11 inches tall.

He had many iconic moments and one of those was catching the ball over his shoulder in the 1954 World Series. He also was known for the basket catch.

He began his career with the New York Giants and played in San Francisco when the Giants moved there. He would finish his career back in New York with the New York Mets. I remember his years in San Francisco and when it came to a conclusion with the Mets.

There was a time when each of the New York teams had three exceptional center fielders; Willie Mays - New York Giants, Duke Snider - Brooklyn Dodgers and Mickey Mantle - New York Yankees.

All three are back together again.

Keith

Unknown-15_49_22AM.jpeg.67c388d1ba8b114660fa2c6d9c971dac.jpeg

images.jpeg.8818344df4b0c828ca8bfa9ba180b393.jpeg

images-1.jpeg.462b4ca061f383477078221241238a16.jpeg

14 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

As an elementary school student in the Bay Area in the 1960s, in an era when you didn't have instant access to baseball scores, I would come home from school ~ 3:30PM and call the Oakland Tribune on game days, ask for the Sports Department, and ask them what the score of today's SF Giants' game was and how many hits, runs, RBIs and HRs Willie Mays had. 

I did this so often that now there's probably some 100-year old former Tribune sportswriter somewhere wondering where that annoying kid who called every day asking what Willie Mays did is. 

His memory sure is a blessing to me!

willie.jpg

We were in a local Bay Area restaurant with friends last night and watched to TV coverage in the lounge. Keith, one of my friends brought up the winds at Candlestick and how it cost Willie home runs. 

A true US sports legend and gentleman. ️ 

Can’t wait for the game and ceremony tomorrow night. 

• Like 6

Today's sunrise photo was taken one year ago today just outside my neighborhood Middle School.  I hadn't noticed when I took the picture the reflection off the basketball backboard.

dawn620a.thumb.JPG.5d2f38c914af39d4bc8dca8b6c38bb82.JPG

Roy

• Like 6