The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

It is not a common event for me to have French Fries.  Yes, I did on the special 2010 New York City to Los Angeles cruise at the French Fry party.

However, yesterday was one of those exceptions. After all, we were in Amsterdam where apparently the French Fry is king.  

Anne Marie and I shared a medium size order of French Fries where they make them in front of you starting with the actual baked potato.  Yes, that is what I would say is a Fresh French Fry. 

There are several options for toppings.  There were two that our tour guide recommended. This one with mayonnaise but a more flavorful mayonnaise than we are used to at home.  Other one was a sauce which included peanuts as it's base and also topped with onions.

So to Brian and everyone anything is possible including my willingness to eat french fries.

Keith

IMG_5544.jpeg.243addbf65754e52840fe3ae928aeb97.jpeg

• Like 9

When I was in Amsterdam in May I ate french fries nearly every day!  So good, but without mayonnaise...just naked fried potato!

I'll bet they were 6 euros.  It seemed like there was a french fry price fixing scheme going on.....everywhere they were 6 euros!!!  

I hope you liked them. 😉

~Nancy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It is not a common event for me to have French Fries.  Yes, I did on the special 2010 New York City to Los Angeles cruise at the French Fry party.

However, yesterday was one of those exceptions. After all, we were in Amsterdam where apparently the French Fry is king.  

Anne Marie and I shared a medium size order of French Fries where they make them in front of you starting with the actual baked potato.  Yes, that is what I would say is a Fresh French Fry. 

There are several options for toppings.  There were two that our tour guide recommended. This one with mayonnaise but a more flavorful mayonnaise than we are used to at home.  Other one was a sauce which included peanuts as it's base and also topped with onions.

So to Brian and everyone anything is possible including my willingness to eat french fries.

Keith

Proud of you, Keith. 

I hope the fries were so tasty it doesn’t take you another 14 years before you ingest more.

What’s next…deep fried pork rinds!? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

I’ve never had mayo on fries!  It’s been a few years since we visited Amsterdam and don’t recall seeing them or perhaps I wasn’t paying attention! 😄 The fries look very tasty and glad you tried them.  Don’t care for large amounts of mayo.  If I try this, I’d go with a smaller amount.

Nancy

• Like 2

The good news is that the French Fries were very good. Nancy if I was able to put the mayo on myself it would have been far less than that. However, the good news is with little forks we were able to get to the fries below the mayo to take just a little dab so that worked out well.  Once we saw that place we saw a few others on our walk.  

I am find having fries plane with no ketchup.  I could even had them with mustard but that is another story we'll save for another time.  😀

I guess I shouldn't put the off for another 14 years Brian. At this age, that might no be wise.  Now wise as in French Fries not Potato Chips. LOL.

Now as to the Cookie, I let Anne Marie and the tour guide share that one.

Brian, I think as a teenager and at college I ate enough french fries and fried onions to offset the last 40 years. 😃

Keith

• Like 2

@Keith1010 serving mayo with fries is very popular in France and other European countries.  We frequent a wonderful French restaurant in my city and occasionally order their fries.  They serve them with mayo on the side.  Most of the time, we ask for a side of ketchup or have them plain…they’re delicious and a little bit goes a long way for us.

Nancy

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I thought I felt the Earth wobble off its axis.  😄 

I'm proud of you Keith -- those definitely look exception worthy!  ❤️ 

Vince

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nancygp said:

@Keith1010 serving mayo with fries is very popular in France and other European countries.  We frequent a wonderful French restaurant in my city and occasionally order their fries.  They serve them with mayo on the side.  Most of the time, we ask for a side of ketchup or have them plain…they’re delicious and a little bit goes a long way for us.

Nancy

While I don’t live in the BBQ kingdoms of Texas or North Carolina, my go-to dip for fries is BBQ sauce. Yummy.

I guess I need to find out the preferred dip here in California. Here in the Bay Area perhaps it’s soy sauce mixed with essence of foie gras and cilantro. The stranger the concoction, the more popular it is. 😉👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And of course they’re really Belgian fries.

“American soldiers stationed in Belgium were first introduced to French fries during World War I. As the official language of the Belgian army was French, soldiers nicknamed the delicious fried potatoes “French fries." The name stuck, and decades later we're still giving credit to the wrong country.“

Visit the fries museum in Bruges to learn more about it. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Okay!! That explains why the sun rose in the west and set in the east yesterday!!!!! A most confusing day where the "impossible" happened!! 😁😁😁

• Haha 1

Sushi platter from last evening. 

While there were three of us dining last night, I have to say Anne Marie had about two of the items on the platter so it was me and our dinner date who ate the whole thing. "I can't believe we ate everything", but we did other than the platter and some vegetables.

I usually have more sashimi and less sushi but when in Rome....Well when in Umi Uma.

And you will note no sashimi or sushi french fries. Don't think Nobu would approve. LOL.

Usually I will ask for specific items including quantities.  We just let the chef surprise us other than one particular item I mentioned.  

Keith

IMG_56283.jpeg.1e3ef82eec4c164fadf4ec29b3cb8171.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is one of the Heidi Barrett wine's on-board Crystal Symphony called All Greet Things. It is on the Connoisseurs' wine list.

The back of the bottle has a quote from Winston Churchill.

"All great things are simple and can be expressed in a single word freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope."

I thought a quote from Winston Churchill fit in with  this cruise since we will be revisiting Normandy on September 23.

At the same time, I am reminded about all of the challenges that the Greatest Generation faced and very much appreciate this itinerary including the special speakers Crystal has on board covering topics related to World War II including D-Day and the Holocaust and the opportunity to visit places on this itinerary whose people were greatly impacted during the War and those who made great sacrifices for a greater good.

Keith

Image9-21-24at1_43PM.jpeg.3394cb63d76daa0af6e455aba73f2777.jpeg

• Like 4

The one and only suite category only on board Crystal Symphony with a washer/dryer combo.

This way you don't have to worry about someone removing your items from the machine. Well unless you have someone sailing with you in your suite. Hopefully, they won't throw it on the floor. LOL.

Keith

IMG_5728.jpeg.94947f83310ceeea18d20686659679f0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just put this on my live thread but it probably is a good one for here too.  

So here you go.

Many people think the Beatles first performed at the Cavern Club which is wrong. Most thought the Casbah Coffee Club which the Best family would say.  But more recently it was learned their first performance as The Beatles with John, Paul, George, Pete Best and Stuart Sutcliffe was at The Jacaranda.  This would make a good Trivia Question on board Crystal.

Now you know one more piece of Beatles Trivia.

Keith

IMG_5303.jpeg.7159760fe1dd3806ea9a70849a02f5ea.jpeg

• Like 1