The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

I may be a native Californian, but my Sister, Cousins and I follow this Southern tradition that my Texas-born Grandfather brought with him when he migrated West in the 1920’s. 

I’ve got a big pot simmerin’ as we speak. 
Gonna have a heapin’ bowl tonite. Need all the good luck we can muster in the New Year following 2020. 

Wonder if these are the special of the day on the menu at the rumored-to-be-Michelin-starred Chez Kenz? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

https://www.thespruceeats.com/your-black-eyed-pea-questions-answered-1640029

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BEAV said:

I may be a native Californian, but my Sister, Cousins and I follow this Southern tradition that my Texas-born Grandfather brought with him when he migrated West in the 1920’s. 

I’ve got a big pot simmerin’ as we speak. 
Gonna have a heapin’ bowl tonite. Need all the good luck we can muster in the New Year following 2020. 

Wonder if these are the special of the day on the menu at the rumored-to-be-Michelin-starred Chez Kenz? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

https://www.thespruceeats.com/your-black-eyed-pea-questions-answered-1640029

Nope,

On NY day at the Chez, OLoPP takes the reins and produces her lovely lovely brisket (made in the oven, we're not trying to be Franklin BBQ here.)

There is one southern treat I produce for the Missouri gal to whom I am married, but I'll save that for a future installment of "Misadventures in Cooking."

And since you're California by way of Texas, I'm going to grind this particular axe of mine: right now, I have on the TV the "Rose Bowl" being played in Arlington TX.  As it is being played in Arlington TX it is not the "Rose Bowl."  Personally I think they missed the opportunity to be at least a little clever and call it the "Yellow Rose Bowl."  But definitely not the "Rose Bowl."

Yes, I plan on being grumpy in 2021, too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Beav,

Saw this on Twitter this AM, immediately thought of you:

"We need to know what portion of the population has to eat black eyed peas for us to achieve herd good luck."

I dunno the answer, but “staying 6 ft apart” takes on a whole new meaning since I had a second helping of those legumes yesterday....... 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sunrise today will be from a trip I haven't included before.  The main cruise was on the Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires-Antarctica-Miami but I didn't want to fly out of Baltimore on a tight winter schedule.  Instead I took QM2 to Southampton January 3 and then Queen Victoria to Ft. Lauderdale flying from Miami to meet the Symphony.  I was happy with the situation as Baltimore got 2 feet of snow the day I would have flown and Miami airport ticket areas were filled with people trying to recover from cancelled flights.  On January 2 I was in a hotel in Brooklyn and watched the sunrise from Fort Green Park"

dawn0102.jpg

The sunrise was not that great but the reflection back from the skyline and the Freedom Tower was great as well:

freedom.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I didn't want to fly out of Baltimore on a tight winter schedule.  Instead I took QM2 to Southampton January 3 and then Queen Victoria to Ft. Lauderdale flying from Miami to meet the Symphony. 

Roy

I nominate this as the Royest Roy thing that Roy has ever Royed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Today's sunrise is the first from my 2018 Crystal two-ship World Cruise.  On January 5 I was in a Fort Lauderdale hotel waiting to board the Crystal Serenity, and walked up to the 17th Street Bridge.

dawn0105.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Here in Chevy Chase the sun is shining, the birds are singing.  It is a glorious day this sixth of January, 2021.

We're still on almost a week straight without sun up here, but it's still a very good day.  I just got back from the barber, so having a freshly/safely buzzed head is definitely enhancing the already good day.

Vince

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

We're still on almost a week straight without sun up here, but it's still a very good day.  I just got back from the barber, so having a freshly/safely buzzed head is definitely enhancing the already good day.

Vince

What is this thing you call "sun"????  The weather weenies are suggesting we may see a great glowing orb in the sky tomorrow afternoon!! Would that be this "sun"?? 😁

Congrats on the cut! It will be another three weeks at the earliest for us. The current lockdown is scheduled to end Jan 23, but the numbers don't look promising and they are saying we may peak around the end of January. Fortunately our stylist, who has been doing Monica's hair for years, cut mine fairly short last time, so I should be okay for a while yet!!

Larry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Here in Chevy Chase the sun is shining, the birds are singing.  It is a glorious day this sixth of January, 2021.

Does this call for a midweek brunch special at the Chez featuring eggs sunny side up? 

5 hours ago, Roland4 said:

What is this thing you call "sun"????  The weather weenies are suggesting we may see a great glowing orb in the sky tomorrow afternoon!! Would that be this "sun"?? 😁

Congrats on the cut! It will be another three weeks at the earliest for us. The current lockdown is scheduled to end Jan 23, but the numbers don't look promising and they are saying we may peak around the end of January. Fortunately our stylist, who has been doing Monica's hair for years, cut mine fairly short last time, so I should be okay for a while yet!!

Larry

If I manage to get a candid photo of it without scaring it off, I'll post it!  😁  (In the meantime we have historical footage from Roy to enjoy!)

You have better timing than I do...  I got caught during our spring lockdown needing a haircut at the start, and ever since I've been trying to keep it short just in case everything closes and I need to let it grow out.  My adventures in cutting it myself were only suitable for Zoom meetings.

Vince

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

If I manage to get a candid photo of it without scaring it off, I'll post it!  😁  (In the meantime we have historical footage from Roy to enjoy!)

You have better timing than I do...  I got caught during our spring lockdown needing a haircut at the start, and ever since I've been trying to keep it short just in case everything closes and I need to let it grow out.  My adventures in cutting it myself were only suitable for Zoom meetings.

Vince

IT EXISTS!!!!!!!! ☀️☀️ About 11:00 AM a strange brightness appeared in our backyard, which is all I can see from my current perch!!!!  We live in a fairly heavily treed neighbourhood so at this time of the year it is kind of hard to actually SEE the sun directly. We face west, with a stand of old growth forest some 40+ feet high across the street, so at this time of year the sun "sets" behind the trees at about 3:00 PM!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I decided it’s time to check my photo-posting skills. This was Wednesday night. When it’s a particularly nice sunset, I run out to the catwalk to get a photo without having to shoot through the glass in the window.

I tell Mr B I have to run out of our cabin on deck seven to get an unencumbered view from the Promenade Deck.

4E8D608F-905A-4CC9-A8EF-965A59CF080B.jpeg

Edited by May B
  • Like 9

Today's sunrise is from the Cunard transatlantic prelude to my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctica cruise.  On January 12 the return transatlantic on Queen Victoria had started and it was the middle sea day of the segment from Southampton to Puerto Delgada:

dawn0112.jpg

Roy

• Like 5