The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

13 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Nice👍 Have you tried pisco sour? One of my favorite drinks ...

Ivi

I don't believe Roy drinks any alcohol. I had one on Crystal excursion in Chile. It was the only time there was ALCOHOL in an included drink!! (Thinking the Singapore Sling at Raffle's!!)

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I don't believe Roy drinks any alcohol. I had one on Crystal excursion in Chile. It was the only time there was ALCOHOL in an included drink!! (Thinking the Singapore Sling at Raffle's!!)

Patty

Other than a SMALL sip at toasts sometimes you're right.  There was one exception and I was expecting a couple more.  In 2003 I had a tour on the Trans Siberian Railroad Moscow to Beijing.  At one stop we visited a local family.  A lot of vodka came out and despite my resistance the guide said "You REALLY need to do this" and it was repeated several times.  Other than the bad (to me) taste I found no effects on me.   No hangover, no high.

The other time or 2 I was expecting is last fall I was booked on Serenity Lisbon to Quebec, with a return trip on Holland America to Boston.  Both ships made calls to Newfoundland and I was willing to resist tradition to become an honorary Newfoundlander.

Roy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

The Chilean Pisco sour although nice is not as good as the Peruvian 😃at least to my taste. We lived over a year in Peru and it is the national drink. No celebration without it. By the way some of the barmen on Crystal can prepare and serve a good Pisco Sour. We had it quite often on board the Serenity.

Ivi 

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Other than a SMALL sip at toasts sometimes you're right.  There was one exception and I was expecting a couple more.  In 2003 I had a tour on the Trans Siberian Railroad Moscow to Beijing.  At one stop we visited a local family.  A lot of vodka came out and despite my resistance the guide said "You REALLY need to do this" and it was repeated several times.  Other than the bad (to me) taste I found no effects on me.   No hangover, no high.

The other time or 2 I was expecting is last fall I was booked on Serenity Lisbon to Quebec, with a return trip on Holland America to Boston.  Both ships made calls to Newfoundland and I was willing to resist tradition to become an honorary Newfoundlander.

Roy

Interesting Roy. I traveled also on the Trans Siberian Railroad, but in the other direction: from Beijing to Moscow and then further up to Berlin. Many years ago. China was still quite closed to the west and me traveling alone and independently was kind of strange for them. At that time, I used to travel differently. Not the luxury from Crystal. And the Trans Siberian Railroad was great fun and adventure. I paid for the ticket from Beijing to Berlin US 100!

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

A Roy drinking story involves the phrase "Trans Siberian Railroad Moscow to Beijing."  Because of course it would.

So, how you doing Roy?

Hanging in there.  Nothing new on Roger's funeral but I expect it this weekend with a virtual option.

I was supposed to meet with the surgeon yesterday in Downtown Baltimore at 1PM yesterday, and we had a very nasty bout of sleet, snow, and freezing rain.  I was planning to leave at 11AM for what would normally be about a half hour drive.  I did get through to the office about 10:30 and changed the appointment to telemed.  It's a good thing I did since they called at noon saying the surgeon had encountered a conflict, so the consult is now 1:30 Monday.  It's a good thing I got the appointment changed as otherwise I would have been halfway to Baltimore when the cancellation happened.

No pain but it has put a massive crimp in my ability to walk, especially up grades.

I get my second Covid shot tomorrow.

Roy

• Like 3

Condolences on the loss of your brother, Roy. May he Rest In Peace. Attending his funeral virtually is such a new but very important phenomenon we never would’ve had before Covid.

Hoping to hear that your second dose of vaccine was uneventful.

39 minutes ago, May B said:

Condolences on the loss of your brother, Roy. May he Rest In Peace. Attending his funeral virtually is such a new but very important phenomenon we never would’ve had before Covid.

Hoping to hear that your second dose of vaccine was uneventful.

So far.  It's only been 8 hours but I think with the first dose my arm was already sore.

Roy

• Like 2

I'm cheating a bit on this sunrise.  It is February 22 but it is on the opposite side of the dateline so I'll call it February 21.  On this day 3 years ago the Crystal Symphony visited Stewart Island,  pretty much New Zealand's southernmost Island.

dawn0222.jpg

No issues yet after yesterday's shot.

Roy

• Like 6

Today's sunrise is from my 2017 Koningsdam Caribbean voyage that got me out of the northeast well before continuing with a crazy combination of Crystal  Serenity, Iguazu, Zaandam, Carnival Inspiration, and Crystal Symphony.  On February 22 we visited Amber Cove:

dawn0222.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

On 2/19/2021 at 8:18 AM, travelberlin said:

The Chilean Pisco sour although nice is not as good as the Peruvian 😃at least to my taste.

Spot on, no truer words were ever spoken. I was weaned on Pisco Sour 😉 my grandfather made a mean one. Must have a couple of drops of bitters to  be a true Pisco Sour, the Chilean version is NOTHING like, they even sweeten it which is anathema in Peru.

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is from the Crystal Serenity.  On February 25 we visited Akaroa,  New Zealand.  The photo worked best in vertical mode but we shared the port with the Maasdam, and I got my first view of that ship just as the sun was rising:

dawn0225.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

It was 63F here yesterday.  After a rather miserable February, it looks like spring is right around the corner.

I celebrated by changing into a fresh pair of sweatpants.

It was sooooo nice driving around yesterday with the windows in the truck down...  It was kind of defeating to have them back up this morning.  It's hard to knock a tough winter out sometimes.  I'm just grateful for the sun at this point.

Vince

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BEAV said:

...and i’ll hazard a guess OLoPP is really celebrating. 🤔

You have no idea.

The challenge is, I'm trying to figure out how to get a crease in them for the next time I'm showing up for BTO in Waterside.  I mean, these things are comfy.  

• Haha 2