Inside vs outside Haven Complex Rooms

mw4357

We have cruised in the Haven several times.  One of those was a forward facing penthouse suite on a lower deck (Getaway 2018),  one of those was a Haven Spa Suite (Escape 2019). Our other 4 times (2018/2019) sadly no 2020 were on Bliss, Encore and Escape and they were all in the Haven proper.  For myself I much prefer being in the Haven proper.  I find I take advantage of more of the offerings and services available.  I am also very much a people person and I really enjoy getting to know other guests.  That is just easier with a smaller group.  That being said there is no down side to traveling outside of Haven proper, it is merely a personal preference of mine.  

Can't wait to cruise again!  

Fingers crossed for Escape 28NOV20

Depends on what you like to do on the cruise and the ship you'll be on. We were in the DOS on the Jade, which doesn't have a proper "Haven" area per se, and spent most of our time on our own balconies. 

We were in a 2 br suite on the Epic, and it was a very different experience. Every night we were at the Haven bar and made a ton of new friends to catch up with at the end of the day. If we had to do a big walk to get there, I wouldn't have gone. My hubby would of still been there every night, but not me. 

So being steps from the Haven lounge, bar, restaurant etc made for a more social and fun cruise for us. All of the staff knew us by name by day 2 and already knew what we wanted. On the Jade, I couldn't even get anyone to pay attention to me to give me a room service menu when I was near the pool. Our butler was horrendous on that trip too, and after the great experience on the Epic we now see how truly bad that first one on the Jade actually was.

• 3 years later...

As part of CAS I was offered a courtyard penthouse or an aft facing penthouse. I looked at the specs of the room and the balcony in the aft facing penthouse seemed much bigger to me. At the time I took that offer I was under the impression everything was in the haven bc I have never sailed the haven before but after reading this my guess is that it is not. We are both unde 40 so I don’t mind the walk but I’m wondering now if we made the right decision. Either way I am sure we will have a good time for a very reasonable price. 

1 hour ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

As part of CAS I was offered a courtyard penthouse or an aft facing penthouse. I looked at the specs of the room and the balcony in the aft facing penthouse seemed much bigger to me. At the time I took that offer I was under the impression everything was in the haven bc I have never sailed the haven before but after reading this my guess is that it is not. We are both unde 40 so I don’t mind the walk but I’m wondering now if we made the right decision. Either way I am sure we will have a good time for a very reasonable price. 

I have been in a Haven Courtyard Penthouse in the Haven proper and the aft facing penthouse as well. I would choose the aft penthouse every time over being in the Haven proper. I’m in my mid sixties and the walk to the Haven and back never bothered me. I love the space to spread out with the separate living room, the second bathroom and that wide aft balcony view. Some people prefer to be in the Haven bubble the whole cruise but I want to enjoy the whole ship. You will have a great time I hope.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

As part of CAS I was offered a courtyard penthouse or an aft facing penthouse. I looked at the specs of the room and the balcony in the aft facing penthouse seemed much bigger to me. At the time I took that offer I was under the impression everything was in the Haven becauseI have never sailed the haven before but after reading this my guess is that it is not. We are both under 40 so I don’t mind the walk but I’m wondering now if we made the right decision. Either way I am sure we will have a good time for a very reasonable price. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic

As a general rule, please don't bump old and dead threads because the information in the thread contains old, outdated, incorrect information. Just start a new thread with your question. (For example, this thread talks about room classes that no longer exist)

On Breakaway/Breakaway Plus class ships, about 1/3 of the Haven rooms are not in the Haven complex (with the exception of the Joy where 2/3 are not in the Haven Complex). And on the Prima and Viva, technically no rooms are on the floors with the Haven Restaurant, Lounge, Sundeck, Facilities. The Courtyard Penthouse is a really small room. But, it is a few steps from the Haven restaurant. Aft Facing are beautiful rooms, but a bit of a hike. 

August 2022, we stayed in a 2BR Haven literally 10 steps from the Haven Bar and 15 steps from the Haven Restaurant. It was convenient. In September 2023, we stayed in a Forward Facing Haven, and while [a lot] more steps, we made equal use of the Haven complex and didn't give a second though about running up there for a drink or to sit in the hot tubs. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic

As a general rule, please don't bump old and dead threads because the information in the thread contains old, outdated, incorrect information. Just start a new thread with your question. (For example, this thread talks about room classes that no longer exist)

On Breakaway/Breakaway Plus class ships, about 1/3 of the Haven rooms are not in the Haven complex (with the exception of the Joy where 2/3 are not in the Haven Complex). And on the Prima and Viva, technically no rooms are on the floors with the Haven Restaurant, Lounge, Sundeck, Facilities. The Courtyard Penthouse is a really small room. But, it is a few steps from the Haven restaurant. Aft Facing are beautiful rooms, but a bit of a hike. 

August 2022, we stayed in a 2BR Haven literally 10 steps from the Haven Bar and 15 steps from the Haven Restaurant. It was convenient. In September 2023, we stayed in a Forward Facing Haven, and while [a lot] more steps, we made equal use of the Haven complex and didn't give a second though about running up there for a drink or to sit in the hot tubs. 

Thanks makes sense

@Cruiseguy14, I'm with @justhappy. I would choose an aft penthouse suite every time over any other room in the Haven. Now V!va and Pr1ma Haven complex's are in the aft of the ship so you're kind of sort of technically within the complex regardless of room you select. I'll be cruising Haven on Pr1ma in four weeks so will be sharing my thoughts on the experience. 

To be fair, I have never sailed inside the Haven. We have always selected aft suites or rooms midship within a couple of staircases from the Haven. When we were aft, we did back a day bag to take with us to the Haven complex where we enjoyed the pools, hot tub, sundeck, bar, and restaurant. We also went to the thermal suite which was forward, so having a bag was helpful for this too.

When staying midship, it's just as easy to head back to our room for whatever we need, so no need for a bag. We don't need to be secured inside the ship within a ship area though. We wander all over the ship, enjoying what it has to offer, but do appreciate going back to the larger suites the Haven affords. Being within the Haven complex after going out to the main pool deck is certainly refreshing and less stress-inducing. Those pool decks can be really overwhelming with humanity! 

Overall, if price and accommodation were the same, we would choose to be outside the Haven. That also decreases the number of staff/guest interactions we have. Crew in the Haven are (appropriately) trained to be more gracious, but that means more small talk. I'm not a small talk kind of person. My husband is, but I'm not. So, basically outside the complex means best of both worlds for us. Whatever you choose, you'll definitely enjoy!

I'll be sailing on the Escape in December in a forward facing Penthouse (deck 14).  For me, the priority was room size/price.  I really don't think we will mind staying outside the Haven at all and intend on taking full advantage of the amenities!  This will be my first time on an NCL ship with an actual Haven.  We were on the Dawn pre-pandemic in the Deluxe Owner's Suite and enjoyed every minute of it.

We have a midship Haven suite outside the complex on a January transatlantic on Joy. I am debating bidding on an aft haven suite but am worried about (1) more ship movement and seasickness especially because it's a winter crossing so seas might be rough, and (2) more noise in the aft (I read in another thread that Joy aft rooms have lots of creaking through night). 

On 10/23/2023 at 11:12 PM, Truenorth1 said:

We have a midship Haven suite outside the complex on a January transatlantic on Joy. I am debating bidding on an aft haven suite but am worried about (1) more ship movement and seasickness especially because it's a winter crossing so seas might be rough, and (2) more noise in the aft (I read in another thread that Joy aft rooms have lots of creaking through night). 

@BirdTravels any thoughts on this as the resident Haven expert? I followed your live Joy thread closely this month 

5 hours ago, Truenorth1 said:

@BirdTravels any thoughts on this as the resident Haven expert? I followed your live Joy thread closely this month 

Now you're asking me a physics question.... and it's been a long time since I was in a physics class (like back in the days when you used slide rules in stead of calculators).

We were in an aft-facing suite, high deck, to Alaska last year and really didn't notice the ship's motion too much. We were in a forward-facing suite, high deck, to Alaska last month and the motion was noticeable along with the pounding of the waves on the bow (noisy). Bottom line is that if the ship is in bad weather or heavy seas, the entire ship will be rocking and rolling. If you get motion sick, you should always have a prescription patch. If you get motion sick and are in rough seas, I don't think that a mid-ship cabin or aft cabin would make a difference, you'll be sick without medication (that's Dr. Bird's opinion, unsubstantiated by any medical fact). 

wrt noise/creaking/moaning.... I don't notice it. I was on the Joy last week and didn't notice any excessive creaking. When we were in bad weather on the last day, the hangers in the closet were banging against each other and the wall (we let them go versus pulling them all down and putting them on the floor). We travel a lot (sometimes weekly) and are in hotels, normally in resorts where there is always noise. 

As I mentioned above in Post #30, being outside the Haven doesn't bother us. We normally pick the outside-the-Haven-complex rooms because they are cheaper and easier to get. 

If I may weigh in here.  Our only experience with the topic of this thread is a cruise in September of last year on board Norwegian Joy.  In the booking, after much research, I selected suite # 14778, which is one of the Haven suites not located in the Haven proper.  Our experience in that suite bore out my research.

Suite # 14778 was larger than a Haven Courtyard suite, with the added benefit of a slightly larger angled balcony.  Yet, the fare was cheaper than the Haven-located suites.  # 14778 is located amidships, so it's not a long walk to any point on the ship, and it rides well in heavy seas.

That #14778 was not situated in the "millionaires' row" of the Haven proper was not an imposition.  It was located approximately fifteen feet to the nearest elevator (which presented no noise issues).  It never took more than one-to-three minutes to get to the Haven Lounge on deck seventeen.  Nor are those "off-campus" Haven suites shortchanged in butler, steward, or concierge services.  The Good Mrs. Benson and I received exceptional attention from Haven personnel.

Suite # 14778 has a "mirror image" counterpart, # 14178, directly opposite, on the port side of Joy.  In my opinion, they are the best two suites on the ship. (The larger, more opulent suites are too far forward for a smooth ride.)  If I were offered a free stay in any accommodation on Norwegian Joy, I would choose # 14778 or # 14178.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are currently  on the Joy in a Forward  Facing Haven.  Our Butler has been wonderful.   He is responsible  for the 10 FF haven cabins so we are  particularly  impressed with the level  of service. He said the toughest rotation  is the 12 Aft haven cabins.  

Love the two room setup  of this  cabin.  Really nice to have breakfast delivered  to front room before we are fully awake. He is amazing! 

Yes, the front of ship can be rocky but we love  it!

• Like 3

Been in both....in the Haven Proper and outside the Haven "Proper".  As far as service and/or experience, I noticed no difference either way.  The Concierges and Butlers were no different.  I didn't feel like I missed anything even being on a different deck than the Haven Proper.  Bar was the same, restaurant was the same.

Personally, if there price for a Haven suite was cheaper outside the Haven proper, that would be the gating factor for me. 

Was in an Aft Cabin on the GEM.  LOVED that cabin.  And, since it was considered a suite, I had access to a Butler and Concierge (but no access to the Haven Proper).  That was sort of the best of both worlds...priced like a "regular" non-Haven Suite, but with most all the perks.

In all frankness, I've never noticed any ship movement, regardless of where I was on the ship, except for the (in)famous "listing cruise" on the Escape about 4 years ago.  A sudden gust of wind actually caused the ship to list, throwing me out of my bed.  But, that's the only one I can think of.

• Like 1

We've never stayed IN the Haven,  We ALWAYS stay in a deck 9 aft facing penthouse.  It WOULD be nice to be close to the Haven area, we'd probably take more advantage of it.  But the huge balcony and the two bathrooms are worth every step it takes to get to the Haven.

• Like 1

In normal or slightly rough seas it really does not matter where you are on these larger ships.  When the seas are rough to very rough though the best place to be is in the aft.  Side to side movement will be the same no matter where you are on the ship.  The up and down motion though will be the least in the aft with it actually being quite stable.  Think of it like this.  We have all seen the front of ships come out of the water in bad weather but have you ever seen the props or thrusters come out of the water in the aft on a cruise ship?  No, that is because the props must stay as deep as possible in the water for control of the ship. 

As far as noise and vibration goes that typically only happens when going slower unless there is an issue with a prop or shaft.