Donald says to early for protocols

jimbo5544

8 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

So "now" do we believe the true experts or still continue to refute what was said? Some very good points about how everything working together ( masks, social Distancing, avoiding large crowds) can SLOW the spread.

Which unfortunately doesn't seem to bode well for cruising, sporting events, etc.

The CC "experts" are a hard sell , however my trust/faith  goes with those from Harvard , Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic , laureates, etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

So "now" do we believe the true experts or still continue to refute what was said? Some very good points about how everything working together ( masks, social Distancing, avoiding large crowds) can SLOW the spread.

Which unfortunately doesn't seem to bode well for cruising, sporting events, etc.

The CC "experts" are a hard sell , however my trust/faith  goes with those from Harvard , Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic , laureates, etc. 

I listened to the whole thing.  I think they did a good job, it was organized and efficient.  There was technical difficulties in the last half hour, I had hopes of cruise specific questions coming up.  One of the things we learned was that there is no silver bullet.  

10 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

To quote:

"The event was not cruise or travel focused."

Perhaps we got our hopes up on what they might discuss.

Anyway, I saw nothing stated in the article that hasn't been Captain Obvious material for months, summed up by this bit:

"Very many people will have to be inoculated since vaccine effectiveness varies (for measles, it's very high; for flu, it averages only 40% effective). No one knows how long the antibodies will last. And, in a recent US poll, 50% of people said they'd be unlikely to get vaccinated against coronavirus if a vaccine were available today, highlighting the need for public education and combating misinformation, Murthy said."

"Even with a vaccine, people will still need to wear masks and social distance, he added. 'We should not presume coronavirus will be over in a few months.' "

19 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not care who gets blamed, I just want it solved.  As a side note I listened to the summit until it blew up with technical difficulties (and they could get to any cruise related info at all).  While it was interesting, it was more along the lines we thought and not about restarting cruises.  

I stayed with it thru the technical difficulties.  They purposely never talked any cruise specifics.  At the end Mr. Donald even acknowledged that this was not meant to be for cruise specific information/discussion, but just to get facts about COVID and some best practices in regards to COVID in general.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, beerman2 said:

All good points.

Astounding how some people would dispute/ignore the words of trained medical researchers and scientists, yet give credibility to that forum. But if it gets a few more "masks are a hoax" people to behave like adults, that would be super.

Surely, the big news of the week was the Marlins situation: a setback for those hoping cruising will resume this winter. Trying to pretend the virus will go away like a miracle just isn't a genuine strategy, folks.

Sadly, we all know there'll be no "mea culpa" from the people who get their science/medical info from YouTube, tinfoilhat.net & the animal network. Those folks are locked into the "never apologize, never explain" trap that invariably leads to social & political train wrecks. 

CC members who want a shot at cruising in 2021 should hope Texas, Florida, Arkansas etc. gets their act together. We have no control over a second wave or whether the virus mutates, but surely can minimize the first wave now & prepare to act responsibly this winter. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 7:12 AM, beerman2 said:

Indeed, the newest cruise issue with the Roald Amundsen & MLB's ongoing troubles suggest you are exactly right.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:53 PM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

CC members who want a shot at cruising in 2021 should hope Texas, Florida, Arkansas etc. gets their act together. We have no control over a second wave or whether the virus mutates, but surely can minimize the first wave now & prepare to act responsibly this winter. 

Individual states have no control over what other states do. Without a national strategy and enforcement, outbreaks will pop up in other states. Reacting to outbreaks instead of being proactive in prevention will keep the US in the first wave forever.

• Like 2

Donald, Duffy & their gang will need to do a far, far better job of developing protocols than these jokers did:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/03/898690128/we-have-made-mistakes-norway-cruise-company-reports-covid-19-outbreak?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

"a failure in several of our internal procedures"

unbelievable. And all CCL fans should be asking themselves what message this sends to the CDC. The Roald Amundsen fiasco is very pertinent here

34 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Donald, Duffy & their gang will need to do a far, far better job of developing protocols than these jokers did:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/03/898690128/we-have-made-mistakes-norway-cruise-company-reports-covid-19-outbreak?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

"a failure in several of our internal procedures"

unbelievable. And all CCL fans should be asking themselves what message this sends to the CDC. The Roald Amundsen fiasco is very pertinent here

Someone in Norway accepted responsibility? Amazing. Compare and contrast that with the US. I'm kidding. There is no comparison.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, broberts said:

If cruise lines find the CDC guidance impossible to follow these transnational profit oriented entities should inform prospective customers. The current practice of accepting deposits for product that is true vaporware is unethical.

Similar to some major league sports, a few

theater chains, numerous colleges, the Big Ten & others conceding that they've searched for solutions and come up empty? Yes, that would be an honest and honorable strategy.

The truth is that there's no sign whatsoever that Donald, Fain & Del Rio have done any of the difficult work to even know if they could restart. So their self-defeating shell game goes one: passengers lose, crews lose, investors lose, ports lose ... executives win.

16 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The truth is that there's no sign whatsoever that Donald, Fain & Del Rio have done any of the difficult work to even know if they could restart. So their self-defeating shell game goes one: passengers lose, crews lose, investors lose, ports lose ... executives win.

That's the alt-truth. The real truth is Carnival is very close to restarting in Europe and other parts of the world while the US continues to have no plan for dealing with the pandemic. It would be fiscally irresponsible for Carnival to waste time and money on the US before the US gets the virus under control.

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

That's the alt-truth. The real truth is Carnival is very close to restarting in Europe and other parts of the world while the US continues to have no plan for dealing with the pandemic. It would be fiscally irresponsible for Carnival to waste time and money on the US before the US gets the virus under control.

This actually makes sense

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It would also be a waste to set US protocols if the ones in Europe aren't working. Europe is being used as "guinea pigs" for lack of a better term.

• Like 1

In my humble opinion, I would just learn to be as patient as humanly possible. There are very valid point being made throughout this forum. The Carnival CEO is not going to "overstep" any of his immediate team, Medical experts and/or controlling Board. Unfortunately there is always a political side to these matters that make most of the provided information "sketchy" at best. Mr. Donald is not going to "reveal" Carnivals "secret" plan until all elements (passengers, crew, port workers, transit workers, hotel workers, airline workers, shuttle workers) are deemed "Safe". 

May take a while but I have full confidence that we will all eventually sail again. In the interim, be humbled that we are all still above ground, clothed in our right mindsets and functioning.