Magnifica for sale

JP82

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe every cruise line will  be forced to sell ships and restructure. 

The first 5 cruise ships I sailed on were with companies that went bankrupt (Regency, Commodore, Dolphin). It has happened before and it will likely happen again. CMV has already went defunk and there are two other small lines (names escape me at the moment) who have filed.

When I read this title to this thread I actually felt it was encouraging news in that MSC is being proactive. Carnival just sold 2 ships. Hal sold 4 ships. CCL has a total of 13 on sale. The writing is on the wall, yet there are still die-hard members of the optimistic club who believe cruise ships will be running by January of 2021. Time will tell. I hope I'm wrong. I want some of what they are smoking. 

I have no idea whether or not MSC is planning to sell Magnifica specifically; but I do believe every cruise line (including MSC) is looking at ways to increase cash and reduce liability. 

PS: Rumor mill is chattering away that the CDC is about to extend it's no sail order through the end of October.  Possible announcement tomorrow. 

BB ... T.U.I cruises are currently doing three night cruises out of Hamburg with around 1200 customers up to the coast of Norway and back on Mein Schiff 2. Not sure if you are aware of it.

8 hours ago, JP82 said:

How odd. How does one create and post a listing for a major cruise lines ship by mistake?

This is speculation on my part, but maybe they created sort of a trial listing because that was an option they were considering, but they did not actually wish to listed at this time which might explain the crazy high price they were asking. Somehow this trial listing was actually published when it was not supposed to be published at this time, if ever. Again just a guess. It sounds like there is some legitimacy to it, but apparently it was not supposed to be published at this time.

90% of that website's listings are through brokers.  My guess is that MSC has been talking to industry people to explore options/interest and one of the brokers decided to put out a listing on the site without MSC's direct approval.  It was a pretty sloppy job removing the carrier emblems and taking stock pictures and screenshots from the 360 virtual tour so it was obvious to most people which ship it was.  MSC likely didn't want it publicly advertised and had the ad removed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChC said:

This does not happen with any legitimate company.

I've learned that MSC does many things you would not expect from a well run company.  Just look at their Terms and Conditions or Conditions of Carriage contracts which are a total mess and full of errors, inconsistencies and constantly changing information.  MSC cruise's communication with subcontractors is probably just as bad as with it's customers.  Have you visited their website over the years?  It's been a continuous disaster of poorly implemented website revisions, policy changes, product reveals and then their disappearance, and just plain erroneous information.  And this goes back well before any corona virus problems.  I can think of several recent MSC ventures that were very poorly planned/implemented.  Brightline, Bags Express (US version?), TechnoGym and I wonder how the Miami Dolphins/Seaside venture is now going.

There was too much very detailed specification information in the ad for it to have been some hacker screwing around.  As I said it's just my guess, but MSC is likely talking to industry people about sale options and someone put up that ad as a feeler without MSC's approval.

53 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Celebrity has had 2 ships listed for sale for about 4 years , lots of speculation every now and again on their boards.

HAL had the Prinsendam listed for sale for a very long time before any transaction finally occurred.

Selling a ship must be like trying to sell a house.  Someone has to want to buy it at a price the seller is willing to accept before the sale actually happens.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

I saw this posted in a different thread topic, it looks like others had noticed the Magnifica "for sale" posting.  MSC was asked and denied they are considering selling any ships.  It doesn't specifically mention the sale ad but it's interesting that the picture in the article appears to be of Mafnifica.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23334-msc-won-t-be-selling-any-cruise-ships.html?fbclid=IwAR16ZayCZzRY97RipR84LSgcIBLFjb1JUatWLIpKjTdihmZkgxe3-Xxkhng

Please let me assure you that MSC Magnifica is NOT planned to leave the MSC fleet.

Regarding a previous post about her being technically different, that is only partly correct. she is actually more advanced than her older sisters and is very up-to-date. However, her basic design and engineering is the same.