Riviera Deck Porthole cabin on the Freedom - yay or nay?

RobinCruiser

Looking for feedback on a porthole cabin on the Riviera deck, on the Freedom. Looking at the 16 day Panama Canal 09/20/22. Wondering if anyone has stayed in one of these cabins anc can share your thoughts. Was it noisy? Rough?

TIA

Robin

Those four Porthole cabins (eight if you count the 'Upper/Lower 1A' options) are prone to additional noise and vibration. Because of the bow curvature, they will experience the slap of the waves a bit more in certain conditions, and you'll see the spray of those waves cross the tunnel-vision of those porthole openings. They are also positioned above the side thrusters, so you'll get that extra vibration when they are being used. If your itinerary includes any stops that require anchoring (tender ports) at the moment the anchor is being dropped, you are definitely going to hear/feel that.

No matter what you choose, enjoy your cruise vacation.

Edited by DGP1111
grammar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RobinCruiser said:

Looking for feedback on a porthole cabin on the Riviera deck, on the Freedom. Looking at the 16 day Panama Canal 09/20/22. Wondering if anyone has stayed in one of these cabins anc can share your thoughts. Was it noisy? Rough?

TIA

Robin

Are you looking at the PT category or the 1a category with port holes. I've stayed in both. I've had times it was a little rough. Vista was the worst, at least 3 nights of chop and about ever 90 seconds sounded like we hit a rock. ... took pills to sleep.

I've probably had these another 6 times and they were perfect and a bargain to see out at inside price.

The 1as are sofa bed and twin, dont push together the PTs have twins that push together. I consider them a great bargain. 

I've mostly had them on conquest, same class as what you asked about.

11 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

Those four Porthole cabins (eight if you count the 'Upper/Lower 1A' options) are prone to additional noise and vibration. Because of the bow curvature, they will experience the slap of the waves a bit more in certain conditions, and you'll see the spray of those waves cross the tunnel-vision of those porthole openings. They are also be positioned above the side thrusters, so you'll get that extra vibration when they are being used. If your itinerary includes any stops that require anchoring (tender ports) at the moment the anchor is being dropped, you are definitely going to hear/feel that.

No matter what you choose, enjoy your cruise vacation.

Lol yea I forgot about the sound of dropping anchor but since I'm up on port days didn't bother me. But experienced that too. But still for the money I'd rather see out than not for the same price.

I just had a 1A with portholes on the Splendor to Singapore last year. 24 days and 18  sea days. I was expecting crossing the Pacific,  the waves would constantly be slapping, which as previous poster mentioned is loud. However, it was very quiet and only heard a couple of wave slaps.

I personally love these cabins and would not hesitate to book them again.

• Like 3

I have had the 1a sofa bed and twin with portholes on Freedom.  I think it might have been the deck above Riviera deck though.  As the others above say, there will be those noises.  But for me, the thing was that once I knew what those noises were, it did not bother me so much.  And that particular cruise the seas were calm, so there were those wave noises, but did not seem to bother me much.  Also, I am an early riser, so the anchor noise in the morning while docking also did not bother me because I was either up on deck already to watch arrival in port, or just getting ready to leave the room.  Again, knowing what the noise was, helped me to deal with it, understand it.  I have had the same room type on Riviera deck on Victory, and the noises were the same.  I would book these rooms again any time.  Enjoy your cruise.  Freedom is a nice ship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Are you looking at the PT category or the 1a category with port holes. I've stayed in both. I've had times it was a little rough. Vista was the worst, at least 3 nights of chop and about ever 90 seconds sounded like we hit a rock. ... took pills to sleep.

I've probably had these another 6 times and they were perfect and a bargain to see out at inside price.

The 1as are sofa bed and twin, dont push together the PTs have twins that push together. I consider them a great bargain. 

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware there different categories of Porthole cabins. I will be looking at PTs, I don't DH will be happy sleeping on a sofa bed. 🤣

Thanks everyone. We are early risers as well so the noise shouldn't bother us too much if there is any anchor dropping. We had a super rough night in an aft Balcony a couple years back in the Caribbean - almost tossed us right out of bed, and the room in general was noisy day and night due to an outdoor seating area above which was always busy and cleaned at 3am. I am thinking this category looks like a great deal!

one other thing about riviera deck port hole rooms is that you dont have high traffic noise from above, the only thing would be noise from the stateroom above, and I dont think that happens very often if ever, unless you happen to have active guests above lol!  I have mostly always done these types of rooms because I sail solo, and am looking for the best deal for me. 

• Like 1

Porthole cabins have become our preference for most cruises - they are a great way to save money, They can be really noisy, though, especially on lower decks when the ship hits big waves. We recently had an express deck porthole  (E8) on Ecstasy  and loved the location and also found it not to be noisy. . I've booked the same location on our Elation cruise in March 2022.

3 hours ago, simplelife said:

Porthole cabins have become our preference for most cruises - they are a great way to save money, They can be really noisy, though, especially on lower decks when the ship hits big waves. We recently had an express deck porthole  (E8) on Ecstasy  and loved the location and also found it not to be noisy. . I've booked the same location on our Elation cruise in March 2022.

Cant remember but seems like I had E9 .... .for sure across from that one on empress deck, also on ecstasy. Lol ... good deck choice.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, simplelife said:

Should say Empress deck. Auto-correct did not  like that word I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/31/2020 at 8:34 AM, RobinCruiser said:

TIA

Robin

I booked one for the April 17, 2020 Panama canal sailing. Please post a review if you book a porthole room.

I have some pictures of the 1A I found on vista. Says upper and lower but of course isnt. We didnt try to push the beds together. I was with another girl and she took the bed under the port holes.

Conquest class the sofa bed is end to end with the regular twin on the port hole cabins. 

Hopefully these will convince people they actually are not bunk beds, upper and lower. I've been in a lot of 1As. These I found just happen to be vista. 

IMG_20181111_145014.jpg

IMG_20181111_144814.jpg

IMG_20181111_144600.jpg

IMG_20181111_144539.jpg

IMG_20181111_144436.jpg

• Like 1

These cabins can be noisy when going into port or when the waves are slapping against the front of the ship.  If you are a light sleeper or are sensitive to noise, I would avoid this cabin.  I don't mind the noise so I enjoy the value of a larger cabin with the port windows at the lowest cabin price.  The beds are twin size and may have a sofa, so depending on the layout of the porthole cabin, it may not be ideal for couples.  Overall these port hole cabins are a great value.

Edited by JohnSpo

5 hours ago, JohnSpo said:

These cabins can be noisy when going into port or when the waves are slapping against the front of the ship.  If you are a light sleeper or are sensitive to noise, I would avoid this cabin.  I don't mind the noise so I enjoy the value of a larger cabin with the port windows at the lowest cabin price.  The beds are twin size and may have a sofa, so depending on the layout of the porthole cabin, it may not be ideal for couples.  Overall these port hole cabins are a great value.

Yes the bed under the window the the sofa and a little firmer than a twin and yes we hit choppy waves drove us nuts 3 nights.

Was a November sailing for those who say well you should except chop. We would just about fall asleep then BAM like the sound of hitting a rock. It was so loud about every few seconds I had to take sleeping pills. Idk if they are further forward on vista or not, seemed like it as I've had these rooms on other ships and never run into this much noise from waves. Sounded just like the ship hitting a rock each time and like the ship had run aground. My friend was a first and probably last time cruiser.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:13 PM, firefly333 said:

On 7/31/2020 at 12:25 PM, firefly333 said:

Lol yea I forgot about the sound of dropping anchor but since I'm up on port days didn't bother me. But experienced that too. But still for the money I'd rather see out than not for the same price.

These used to be a secret bargain for veteran solo cruisers. Now they are well known and you almost have to book a year in advance to even come close to getting one. I love them. I treat the waves slamming against the bow as a "grandfather clock" thing and try to predict when the next one will slam the hull until I fall asleep (I'm usually worn out and dead tired anyway). I get up early so bow thrusters and anchors dropping seldom affects me. Best kept secret IMHO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glrounds said:

These used to be a secret bargain for veteran solo cruisers. Now they are well known and you almost have to book a year in advance to even come close to getting one. I love them. I treat the waves slamming against the bow as a "grandfather clock" thing and try to predict when the next one will slam the hull until I fall asleep (I'm usually worn out and dead tired anyway). I get up early so bow thrusters and anchors dropping seldom affects me. Best kept secret IMHO.

The waves were hitting about every 2 to 3 seconds, just about when you relaxed from the last hit. 

Never bothered me before. I got the one opposite this time. Port side. I was in the 2nd one, and the one next to PT opened, and had my TA move me. It's slightly larger, right where the hull curves. Cant believe it was still 870.xx solo sept 11th. With $50 obc. Has to drop more than $50 to get a price drop. Only vist had 7 day cruise, dream had 6 and 8, so I'm on vista again. Just opposite side those pictures were taken. 

• 2 months later...