Next time I cruise I am definitely going to....

chemmo

2 hours ago, cruznjan said:

...relax on the veranda with a glass of wine.

One of the simple pleasures of life!

I usually have a glass on the balcony early evening while my hair is drying...I gave up fighting those awful hairdryers years ago. When I go to dinner my hair may not be as sleek as others but after that relaxing glass of wine who cares!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I must say that if we book any excursions now we tend now to look for shorter and mornings.  Too old for those marathon full day adventures we used to enjoy so much when we were young!

Late afternoon we usually get a delivery of an afternoon tea selection (we always request a kettle in our room to make our own tea). Invariably we will enjoy this leisurely on the balcony watching the exhausted return. We always hope they are tired out but content, the way we used to be when we had experienced fantastic tours in years gone by. The only snag we ever have with our afternoon tea is persuading the butler we only want a small selection!

I well remember all the excursions and touring.  There comes a time when you have reached the saturation point.  Once you have climbed all the mountains, seen all the museums and swam in all the oceans, etc, etc. you get the urge to chill.  As the new ships got bigger with more extensive amenities it became easier to make the ship your destination.  Lest you get the wrong impression of all my sybaritic doings onboard...  

Our last cruise was in 2017 (three months later I was diagnosed with end stage kidney failure which totally killed our cruise plans) and we, DW and I, agreed to stay onboard from now on.  Hopefully, we will all be able to resume cruising somewhere down the road when this Covid19 insanity gets resolved (and I receive a new kidney).  

I am heartened to see how many here are looking forward to resume cruising.  Chemmo hit the target when he said, “most of us will just walk around with large contented smiles on our faces”.  Isn’t it ironic how we appreciate the insignificant and mundane once we are deprived of them.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I well remember all the excursions and touring.  There comes a time when you have reached the saturation point.  Once you have climbed all the mountains, seen all the museums and swam in all the oceans, etc, etc. you get the urge to chill.  As the new ships got bigger with more extensive amenities it became easier to make the ship your destination.  Lest you get the wrong impression of all my sybaritic doings onboard...  

Our last cruise was in 2017 (three months later I was diagnosed with end stage kidney failure which totally killed our cruise plans) and we, DW and I, agreed to stay onboard from now on.  Hopefully, we will all be able to resume cruising somewhere down the road when this Covid19 insanity gets resolved (and I receive a new kidney).  

I am heartened to see how many here are looking forward to resume cruising.  Chemmo hit the target when he said, “most of us will just walk around with large contented smiles on our faces”.  Isn’t it ironic how we appreciate the insignificant and mundane once we are deprived of them.  

My stage 3 Kidney failure was diagnosed in 2017 - Right kidney removed in November 2017 - we have been on at least 6 times since then - and looking forwarding to our next cruise (hopefully a TA in APril 2021)

HANG IN THERE ! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

My stage 3 Kidney failure was diagnosed in 2017 - Right kidney removed in November 2017 - we have been on at least 6 times since then - and looking forwarding to our next cruise (hopefully a TA in APril 2021)

HANG IN THERE ! 

Thanks Green,  I have no doubt that we will all be cruising again in the no too distant future. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 3:57 PM, chemmo said:

I can only say you express so much of how we feel but how do you get seats at the Martini Bar?!?!?

Arrive early.  Never have had an issue getting seats at Martini Bar.

I am usually lucky getting seats at the Martini Bar. For those of you who seem to be unlucky at that, I will gladly relinquish those seats to you when I notice you in the area. Don't worry, I'll know who you are. You'll be the "Droopy" looking folks, sad-eyed and forlorn at once again being deprived of that much coveted space. Martini in hand, it's the least I can do.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sincere best wishes for an improvement in your health...In 2016 I had a significant health scare and we have never quite looked at life the same again... We are far more focused on making the most of every moment since that time. Day by day we enjoy watching the birds in the garden, the sun in the sky, the clouds up above, precious time together.

I think it is a general positive that so many are looking forward to the future...Totally agree with you that it is the simple things in life we miss once deprived of them...

I firmly believe the sun will come out tomorrow, we will cruise again and all of us will, perhaps, count our blessings even more. 

Once again sincere best wishes for a return to good health.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

HANG IN THERE ! 

What a wonderful post! Gives hope to all struggling with health issues in this difficult time.

4 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Arrive early.  Never have had an issue getting seats at Martini Bar.

How early? I need to finish my afternoon tea and dress for the evening.

3 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I am usually lucky getting seats at the Martini Bar. For those of you who seem to be unlucky at that, I will gladly relinquish those seats to you when I notice you in the area. Don't worry, I'll know who you are. You'll be the "Droopy" looking folks, sad-eyed and forlorn at once again being deprived of that much coveted space. Martini in hand, it's the least I can do.

Let us know what cruise you are on and we will take you up on your offer!

One of our nearest seatings was last cruise...We passed by the bar just as a party of four left, we sat on two of now vacated seats and we could see the disappointment on the faces of a group of four young people who didn’t get in quite fast enough. We decided to do the Martini Bar another night and vacated our spaces to them and gave the World Bar a go instead. Needless to say ‘another night’ never quite happened! But it will do next cruise!!!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, chemmo said:

... We are far more focused on making the most of every moment since that time. Day by day we enjoy watching the birds in the garden, the sun in the sky, the clouds up above, precious time together.

I think it is a general positive that so many are looking forward to the future...Totally agree with you that it is the simple things in life we miss once deprived of them...

I firmly believe the sun will come out tomorrow, we will cruise again and all of us will, perhaps, count our blessings even more...

We share so many similar feelings with you and also have a positive attitude toward life. 

I remember the words of a former work colleague from many years ago who would say daily, “Every day above ground is a good day.” We don’t take anything for granted. Our evening ritual is to stop and watch the beautiful colors of the sunset. Can’t wait to watch them again from the balcony on our next cruise. 😊

• Like 6

6 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We share so many similar feelings with you and also have a positive attitude toward life. 

I remember the words of a former work colleague from many years ago who would say daily, “Every day above ground is a good day.” We don’t take anything for granted. Our evening ritual is to stop and watch the beautiful colors of the sunset. Can’t wait to watch them again from the balcony on our next cruise. 😊

Yesterday we had some sunshine (at last) and sat by our garden pond enjoying the pleasure of being too hot! Not at sea but still making the most of what every day has to offer! 

Like yourselves, can’t wait to get on that balcony and enjoy the delights of the sea and sky! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Yesterday we had some sunshine (at last) and sat by our garden pond enjoying the pleasure of being too hot!

The last couple of days it has been 107F where I live.  Is that too hot?  Yeah, I'm ready for a sea day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Crucero said:

The last couple of days it has been 107F where I live.  Is that too hot?  Yeah, I'm ready for a sea day.

I would love to be able to visit California again! Wouldn’t want it quite that hot but I promise not to complain next visit!

We have toured several parts of the US and never get over the diversity of landscape...I remember  boiling in Death Valley then moving on to Yosemite a day or two later and needing my fleece! The quiet beauty of Arches, the wonders of Yellowstone, the majesty of Washington state...to say nothing for your wonderful cities and wonderful welcoming people. 

When all this is over as well as cruising again we would love to do one more loooooong US tour...Sincere best wishes that the temperature moderates for you, however, after a month of rain today I hope to be too hot again!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

We have toured several parts of the US and never get over the diversity of landscape...I remember  boiling in Death Valley then moving on to Yosemite a day or two later and needing my fleece!

Where I live in California, it is 40 minutes to Alpine Forests and Nordic skiing in the winter, 45 minutes to Palm Springs and the desert. and 90 minutes to the Pacific for surfing and SCUBA  When it is 107F in the day, it is 75F at 8pm.  We have lots of jolly British ex-pats where we live, can't imagine why they like it here.  BUT I WOULD GIVE ALMOST ANYTHING FOR A SEA DAY RIGHT NOW!

4 hours ago, Argo. said:

Next time I cruise I am definitely going to...."

be a couple of years older...

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/no-normalcy-cruising-until-2023-predicts-larry-pimentel

What will be will be...We would never cruise before we felt it was safe but we will still look forward to our next cruise...

3 hours ago, El Crucero said:

Where I live in California, it is 40 minutes to Alpine Forests and Nordic skiing in the winter, 45 minutes to Palm Springs and the desert. and 90 minutes to the Pacific for surfing and SCUBA  When it is 107F in the day, it is 75F at 8pm.  We have lots of jolly British ex-pats where we live, can't imagine why they like it here.  BUT I WOULD GIVE ALMOST ANYTHING FOR A SEA DAY RIGHT NOW!

Hmmmm our forecasted ‘sunny day’ was humid, cloudy and disappointing.... I would give anything right now to be in California ‘being 45 minutes from Palm Springs  and 90 minutes from the Pacific!!!!!’...The grass is greener springs to mind.

We do love our country, the greenery and the history are wonderful but just every now and then I would do a swap for 7/14 days of sunshine!

Yes, I guess I would give almost anything right now for a (hot) sea day!

Edited by chemmo

I hope to smell the sea air, enjoy sunrises and sunsets, be mesmerized by staring at the wake of the ship and yes try to get to the Martini Bar for an Aviation Martini.

Hope this will all happen in 2021!  Scheduled on a B2B Australia NZ Polynesia to Hawaii on Solstice.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

Scheduled on a B2B Australia NZ Polynesia to Hawaii on Solstice.  Fingers crossed.

I think you will be stopping at Neiafu, Vava'u, Tonga where I lived for two years back in the '60's before it was "modernized".  Gorgeous country.  Tight harbor.

Edited by El Crucero

I think we will slow down and enjoy every moment!  Watch for the small details and spend more time in our suite and on the balcony!  All of the Covid distress has reenforced our outlook that life is precious, short and not a time for regrets for things not done.  We always meet wonderful people and will continue to do that too.  We both miss seeing smiling faces and learning about places, foods

and history all over the world.

We hope to see you soon!❤️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

I hope to smell the sea air, enjoy sunrises and sunsets, be mesmerized by staring at the wake of the ship and yes try to get to the Martini Bar for an Aviation Martini.

Hope this will all happen in 2021!  Scheduled on a B2B Australia NZ Polynesia to Hawaii on Solstice.  Fingers crossed.

I will cross my fingers for you too...Fantastic itinerary.

What is in an Aviation Martini? When I finally sit at that bar I would like to know what to order!

Glad we are not the only ones that love the wake view ‘Mesmerised’ really is the only description...

5 minutes ago, DragonflyCruiser said:

I think we will slow down and enjoy every moment!  Watch for the small details and spend more time in our suite and on the balcony!  All of the Covid distress has reenforced our outlook that life is precious, short and not a time for regrets for things not done.  We always meet wonderful people and will continue to do that too.  We both miss seeing smiling faces and learning about places, foods

and history all over the world.

We hope to see you soon!❤️

Well said!

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

Thanks William Henry Davies!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3