MSC gets approval to restart cruising in August :)

BermudaBound2014

10 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

From August 9th.

Greece reported 203 new coronavirus cases Sunday, the biggest single-day jump since the beginning of the pandemic, bringing its total to 5,623. It also was the biggest jump in daily cases since April 21.

The UK reported more than 1,000 new cases for the first time since June 26, bringing its total to 310,825. The 1,062 cases reported Sunday are higher than the seven-day average of 877.

Good Luck MSC and crew.

Consider those as percentages of the population though, and it's a far cry from the US situation. They're also being dealt with, in the UK, by local lockdowns, so there will be less risk of spreading - at least in terms of flying to another country. 

Per 100,000 people, Italy has just 7.4 active cases (diagnosed in the last 14 days), compared to 246 in USA.   With this relatively low level, hospitals are not overwhelmed and public health officials can effectively trace, quarantine and test contacts and avoid community spread.   The challenge now is returning to as normal as possible quality of live level, of which both economic factors and people going on holiday are important, without increasing the virus transmission rate.  

Data Source:  https://covid19-country-overviews.ecdc.europa.eu/#19_italy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

A recent post on the Celebrity board, "Live from the first cruise....." by Germancruiser, is quite interesting, and quite positive.  He reported no problems, and said he would do it all again.  

I"m looking forward to seeing this video. I recently started following a British cruise influencer on YouTube and she posted a link to his review. If I understand the reaction to his video correctly, it suggests there IS a way to have cruising resume in a safe fashion. Very encouraging news, I'd say!

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I"m looking forward to seeing this video. I recently started following a British cruise influencer on YouTube and she posted a link to his review. If I understand the reaction to his video correctly, it suggests there IS a way to have cruising resume in a safe fashion. Very encouraging news, I'd say!

You can find his review/blog here on Cruise Critic, under Celebrity.  I agree, it is quite encouraging.

• Like 1

With the advent of MSC Grandiosa sailing on Sunday ... Anyone sailing on the first 4 weeks of cruises on Grandiosa should get their cruise for free, after all those people are going to be Human Guinea pigs for the cruise line to test out their new procedures.

19 hours ago, muffydawg said:

I hope MSC is successful however imagine two couples boarding the ship; one of the four tests + for COVID and is denied boarding. Gotta think the partner, spouse, relative of the person denied boarding would not sail without their partner.

The MSC COVID-19 Protection Plan is currently available only to guests from Schengen countries. This really looks like a scam designed to artificially inflate revenues from people who buy the MSC COVID-19 Protection Plan; and it looks like only the person denied boarding due to sickness can leverage the MSC COVID-19 Protection Plan benefits and not their partner who is ok.

If a passenger tests + under item #6 they could be put off the ship; what does their traveling companion do?

I would not book a cruise under these circumstances. Perhaps the residents of Schengen countries would but not me.

The Covid protection is only 18 euros and covers all expenses, including repatriation and refunds and covers whole party as far as i know. I doubdt any Americans will be allowed into Europe or anywhere else until well into 2021.

the cruise is only available to Schengen residents so the protection is obviously only available to them and hardly a scam , looks like a bargain to me.

Edited by cruiser man 60
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I didn't think there was a video. I just did a search and can't find it either. I thought the GermanCruiser just posted a thread here on CC (no video).

Is there another source I'm missing? 

51 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I didn't think there was a video. I just did a search and can't find it either. I thought the GermanCruiser just posted a thread here on CC (no video).

Is there another source I'm missing? 

The one I was thinking of is by someone named Dario Cremona, he was on the MeinSchiff2. I watched some of it earlier today.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

The one I was thinking of is by someone named Dario Cremona, he was on the MeinSchiff2. I watched some of it earlier today.

His video is on YouTube.  I think there are three, the first one is before he gets on the ship.

I wonder how many on this forum would be willing to go on one of these cruises? According to the strict regime being set by MSC for boarding and on board they would seem to be like holidaying on a hospital ship. Some may say the precautions are necessary, and they would be correct, but this is supposed to be a holiday.

4 hours ago, Stuart2019 said:

I wonder how many on this forum would be willing to go on one of these cruises? According to the strict regime being set by MSC for boarding and on board they would seem to be like holidaying on a hospital ship. Some may say the precautions are necessary, and they would be correct, but this is supposed to be a holiday.

I would love to go on a cruise like that if I could get there by train!  It would definitely feel like a holiday, and having no ports would suit me just fine.

18 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I would love to go on a cruise like that if I could get there by train!  It would definitely feel like a holiday, and having no ports would suit me just fine.

Interesting. You have to wear a mask on a train, in this heat. Not comfortable. MSC are cruising one ship around the eastern Med and the other around the western Med. I doubt that would mean no ports. It's supposed to be a holiday.

I would definitely take the cruise on MSC Grandiosa.

Since May, when travel restrictions were relaxed I've taken 4 holidays - all of which have been in environments with some COVID-19 safety restrictions.   Wearing a mask while inside in public places (when not eating or drinking) is a small price to pay and very quickly becomes normal (especially as it is required by many EU countries anyway).  Keeping distance from other people is a bonus 🙂

The onboard restrictions are the same as those on land.  

• Like 1

Hmm ... the times I've been out shopping or to a hospital I have found wearing a mask very restrictive. In this heat it makes breathing uncomfortable. Your peripheral vision is restricted, especially downwards, and your glasses mist up. Your, and others', voices are muffled and you can't see other peoples expressions when they are talking to you. You can't join in with their happiness of their experience or otherwise. You just can't see their expression. When on holiday I expect to have freedom with the sensible precautions of washing hands when entering a restaurant to eat. It would appear the current Covid situation has created conditions which were unheard of for flu or other infectious viruses. It's a holiday. I don't wish to be uncomfortable or made fearful on a holiday.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 8420PR said:

I would definitely take the cruise on MSC Grandiosa.

Since May, when travel restrictions were relaxed I've taken 4 holidays - all of which have been in environments with some COVID-19 safety restrictions.   Wearing a mask while inside in public places (when not eating or drinking) is a small price to pay and very quickly becomes normal (especially as it is required by many EU countries anyway).  Keeping distance from other people is a bonus 🙂

The onboard restrictions are the same as those on land.  

While the onboard restrictions might be similar, the ramifications of a single COVID case onboard is not.  When you are on land you simply do your thing and go your merry own way.  If you later get COVID you take the necessary steps to best treat the ailment and perhaps cooperate (or not) with contact tracers that might come your way.  But you are in control in a similar way as with most other ailments.  If I get sick at home I have many options in terms of where to go, who to call, self quarantine at home, etc.  On a ship, if a single person develops COVID you are likely to find yourself imprisoned (even against your will) on the ship, confined to your small cabin, and perhaps later confined to a land-based hotel room.  In the ship scenario you have little control, little say over where you are treated, how you are transported, where you go, etc.

While I truly wish the European cruise lines (Aida, TUI, MSC, etc) well and hope their restart efforts are very successful, I fear that there will be some failures that will set-back both cruising and travel.  We have already seen this in Norway and Alaska.   When it comes to COVID, we do not know what we do not know!  But what we do know is that this virus seems to like cruise ships :(.  Of that there is no doubt.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

While the onboard restrictions might be similar, the ramifications of a single COVID case onboard is not.  When you are on land you simply do your thing and go your merry own way.  If you later get COVID you take the necessary steps to best treat the ailment and perhaps cooperate (or not) with contact tracers that might come your way.  But you are in control in a similar way as with most other ailments.  If I get sick at home I have many options in terms of where to go, who to call, self quarantine at home, etc.  On a ship, if a single person develops COVID you are likely to find yourself imprisoned (even against your will) on the ship, confined to your small cabin, and perhaps later confined to a land-based hotel room.  In the ship scenario you have little control, little say over where you are treated, how you are transported, where you go, etc.

While I truly wish the European cruise lines (Aida, TUI, MSC, etc) well and hope their restart efforts are very successful, I fear that there will be some failures that will set-back both cruising and travel.  We have already seen this in Norway and Alaska.   When it comes to COVID, we do not know what we do not know!  But what we do know is that this virus seems to like cruise ships :(.  Of that there is no doubt.

Hank

Doesn't sound like you'll ever set foot on a cruise ship again, then. Please do wish those of us well who plan to sail again in the future. It sounds like you'd be better off on a land-based vacation. As you point out, you have a lot more freedom that way. You actually make a very good point about that. We are doing an all-inclusive resort later this month and are looking forward to it. This staying at home all the time is driving us crazy. Wishing you well in your future travels, even if it's not on the high seas.

3 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

I would say this Virus like big mass of people... and do not care about location 

With what happened with Wilderness Adventurer in Alaska, the definition of a "big mass of people" seems to be about 35 guests and 30+ crew members.  

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Doesn't sound like you'll ever set foot on a cruise ship again, then. Please do wish those of us well who plan to sail again in the future. It sounds like you'd be better off on a land-based vacation. As you point out, you have a lot more freedom that way. You actually make a very good point about that. We are doing an all-inclusive resort later this month and are looking forward to it. This staying at home all the time is driving us crazy. Wishing you well in your future travels, even if it's not on the high seas.

Not sure if we will ever again set foot on a cruise ship, but it will not be for lack of trying.  As I have previously mentioned, we have spent over 3 years on cruise ships as passengers with 16 cruise lines over more than 40 years.  In the last decade we have managed to cruise about 100 days a year.  So when it comes to supporting the cruise industry we do walk the walk!  That being said, in the last few months we have had a 30 day, 28 day, and 18 day cruises cancelled by the cruise lines!  We do have 3 cruises booked for 2021 (30 day in April, 14 day in Oct and 18 day in Dec and would normally be booking another long cruise.  So just like the cruise lines have been playing the "rolling cancellation game" we are playing along by booking for the future with some expectation that the cruise lines will continue to cancel our cruises.  So, unlike many here on CC we have actually not cancelled any cruises.  In fact, out of the last 120 or so cruises we have booked only 1 has been cancelled by us (for a death).

I agree with you that staying home is also driving us crazy.  So unlike you, we have not been staying home all the time and have managed to recently take a nice 2 week domestic vacation.  We have a few other domestic trips (driving and flying) for the remainder of this year.  These trips are a substitute for cruise trips (to Europe, Middle East, and Caribbean) that have all been cancelled by the cruise lines!  So, if you choose to stay home all the time that is simply your own choice.  There are still plenty of opportunities for domestic travel and one can travel smart and minimize the risk from COVID.  

As to the cruise industry, whether we ever set foot on another cruise ship will depend on the cruise lines!  If any of our future bookings actually happen, we will be there!  What about you?  By the way, if your nick means you live in DC I would mention that we actually spent a recent night in DC so we could dine at one of our favorite Georgetown restaurants.  Our dinner was terrific but the well known restaurant was empty (only 9 other customers).  If you are in the DC area you might want to get out of your basement and support some of your local restaurants and businesses.

Hank

• Like 1

This Covid concern has run it's course. Time to get back to cruising with normal precautions. If you're vulnerable you're more likely to die from the flu now. Or at least when we have a Covid vaccine as that would protect us all along with the flu vaccine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8617795/More-Britons-killed-flu-pneumonia-coronavirus-seven-weeks.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

With what happened with Wilderness Adventurer in Alaska, the definition of a "big mass of people" seems to be about 35 guests and 30+ crew members.  

on what area? 50m² for dinner? or less...?

Same for halls, foodball domes, churches....inside, packed mass of people .....

Edited by MarkusToe

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You do realise the wilderness only has 30 cabins.

Edited by The_0neuk