RCI vs MSC

syracr

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

When we stayed in the YC balcony twice I was curious & the day we were leaving asked to see an inside YC. It was so small, hardly anywhere to put clothes & only sitting was a small chair. Google & take a look, think you would be very disappointed. 

I have to disagree with you here. My parents were in a YC inside when we had the balcony and their cabin was much bigger than any other inside cabin i've seen. It was at least the size of a spacious balcony on RC(minus the balcony obviously)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

I have to disagree with you here. My parents were in a YC inside when we had the balcony and their cabin was much bigger than any other inside cabin i've seen. It was at least the size of a spacious balcony on RC(minus the balcony obviously)

On the Seaside to me it was small, no storage space & only 1 small chair. I have read reviews saying the same. 

22 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

>>>>>>>>>. won't cruise on MSC, I know too many cruise friends that hated MSC<<<<<<<<<<<,

I read so much good/bad.... just decided to try MSC myself.

Was pleasantly surprised.

However... remember that everything written on CC (or anywhere)

is now just 'ancient history'  from the 'golden age of cruising'

(before mid-March 2020).

Will read reports after sailing begins again.

Hoping for the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have sailed both...more RSC than MSC.  Sailed RSC's new(er) ships like Anthem of the Seas, and the new ships on MSC on Meriviglia (out of Miami) and Divina (out of Barcelona).

MSC obviously has a more Mediterranean flavor....in particular the food and the entertainment.  Not necessarily better or worse, just different.  If you are open for new experiences, you'll love MSC.  If not, probably best to stick with Royal.

I will say that the Yacht Club on MSC is a wonderful experience.  Really nice cabins and service, as well as the private areas for those staying in the YC.  We spent a lot of time in the YC lounge...which offered food/snacks and a private bar.

Entertainment on MSC has a more international flavor than that of Royal.

I don't drink soft drinks, so really don't know what either line offers.

Try MSC.  You might like it.  At the time, MSC YC was about the same price as a Jr Suite on Royal.  I saw where their prices went up significantly last time I checked, however (last year).  

4 hours ago, Rocket3D said:

YIKES.....

MSC Cruises says family denied reboarding after they broke COVID-19 'social bubble'

Morgan Hines, USA TODAY

USA TODAY•August 19, 2020

Yeh, sounds harsh but they did go against the stated rules. Not that I necessarily agree with them but it is their ship. 

1 hour ago, hloakes said:

Yeh, sounds harsh but they did go against the stated rules. Not that I necessarily agree with them but it is their ship. 

I don't think it's harsh at all.  We really want to cruise again, but we have to feel safe.  That means we will carefully read the cruise line's rules that are intended to keep everyone safe.

If they are not enforced they won't work.  If the cruise line is not enforcing the rules, we won't go.

As far as we are concerned, it's like any other safety rule.  It must be enforced, full stop.

1 hour ago, hloakes said:

It’s a lot more than ‘it is their ship’.  MSC put a lot of work into securing permission from a host of government authorities to put these cruises on and they need to closely adhere to all the agreed upon protocols and procedures.  Here is an excerpt from the MSC website:

We’re glad to announce that our two flagships, MSC Grandiosa and MSC Magnifica, will resume operations in the Mediterranean starting from 16 and 29 August 2020 respectively, offering guests from Schengen countries full-experience cruise holidays. 
The two ships will be the first to implement a new operating protocol that has been designed to protect the health and safety of guests, crew as well as the local communities that the Company’s ships visit. For this reason, it meets and goes beyond guidelines provided by key international and regional regulatory and technical bodies, as well as regulations set forth by the governments in the countries in which MSC Cruises ships operate. Additionally, RINA, the independent maritime certification corporation, has verified that the protocol meets the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) Guidance, which incorporates additional health standards including those from the EU Healthy Gateways Joint Action. We have worked to encompass every aspect of the guest’s journey, from the moment of booking to embarkation, life on board and through to the return back home, whilst preserving the uniqueness of the guest experience.

4 minutes ago, Rocket3D said:

So they left the 'ship tour' and broke covid containment. 

If Royal adopts 'ship tour only' policy for USA cruises we

would probably wait for that policy to disappear before booking again.

If Royal (or any other cruise line) hopes to satisfy the CDC’s requirement(s) to operate out of US ports while a pandemic situation exists, I think we can rest assured that there will be significant conditions regarding off-ship excursions/activities.  Frankly, can’t see any of that happening in the United States and I agree with you, don’t bother booking until you know what you are going to be obligated to deal with.

53 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I don't think it's harsh at all.  We really want to cruise again, but we have to feel safe. 

Yes!  It's not just about rules, it's about safety.

There's safety for this family (although apparently, they didn't care)...

Safety for other passengers...

Safety for those in the ports.

27 minutes ago, Rocket3D said:

So they left the 'ship tour' and broke covid containment. 

If Royal adopts 'ship tour only' policy for USA cruises we

would probably wait for that policy to disappear before booking again.

Since everyone boarding had to be covid tested and all crew, it would defeat the purpose of testing to then allow people to get off the ship in ports and mix with untested people. Then it would no longer be a bubble of tested passengers kept together and crew.

Let's hope covid goes away but for right now I'm ok staying within the bubble.