Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 11/17/2022 at 3:20 AM, bluemarble said:

I'm on the way to New York to join QM2 on Sunday for a Caribbean cruise. But that won't stop me from trying to identify a new “Where in the World?” photo from my hotel room.

I think this one is the Bosporus (Bosphorus). Turkey. I'm getting a pretty good match to Hidiv Kasri (aka Khedive's Palace) for that tower on the hill.

Have a great time 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Ailsa Craig ?

I had narrowed this down to Scotland and was making an Internet tour of lighthouses. I had just about decided that this was the Alisa Craig Lighthouse when you posted. So, I agree with you. 

One new thing I learned in the process was that there was a prominent Scots civil engineer in the 19th century who, along with his brother, was instrumental in building several lighthouses. His name was Thomas Stevenson, who had a rather well-known son by the name of Robert Louis Stevenson. Sort of lends a different perspective to Treasure Island. 

• Like 1

We have previously had this port here in the Where in the World game, but the earlier contribution did not feature a Cunard ship.  Here is a webcam with a Queen floating in the calm waters offshore.  There's not a lot of clues in this webcam image, so I'll offer an early hint that this webcam was taken very recently.

image.thumb.png.b1a27bd51358884e1990ece69be070be.png

22 hours ago, sfred said:

We have previously had this port here in the Where in the World game, but the earlier contribution did not feature a Cunard ship.  Here is a webcam with a Queen floating in the calm waters offshore.  There's not a lot of clues in this webcam image, so I'll offer an early hint that this webcam was taken very recently.

image.thumb.png.b1a27bd51358884e1990ece69be070be.png

I haven't found this specific webcam, but based on the clues, and finding other views which include similar blue and white beach umbrellas, I think this might be Port Douglas, Queensland. QE was there yesterday.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I haven't found this specific webcam, but based on the clues, and finding other views which include similar blue and white beach umbrellas, I think this might be Port Douglas, Queensland. QE was there yesterday.

That's correct, well done @bluemarble.  A photo of four mile beach at Port Douglas was originally contributed by @babs135 on 25 August, page 159. post 3951 of this thread.  

This webcam from tourismportdouglas.com.au covers several views of four mile beach.  One of them captured QE at anchor offshore.  The webcam is a little finicky, and it took several page refreshes to get a view that covered QE.

Earlier this year I had placed a note in my diary for 21 November knowing that QE would be in Port Douglas and there might be an opportunity for a webcam photo.  At the time Port Douglas was still unseen, until @babs135's contribution in August. 

Thanks for taking time for the game during your Caribbean QM2 voyage @bluemarble.  Hope you are having a great time!

• Like 1

Well, I know where Queen Victoria is, but you asked, "Where am I?"

My initial thought was that you were in front of Sydney Opera House but the angle isn't quite right. Second thought is that you were at Mrs Macquaries Point.

Obviously a few years ago as QV still has her original sloping stern.

• Like 1