Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

12 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Here’s my pic from the cruise-specific thread

The little friend is the French ship Renaissance (1100pax)

656D59A4-7F41-46BA-8513-8152381BD284.thumb.jpeg.f2f942cd624d0fee014a3faafbd9d282.jpeg

Thank you. That's a much better view than mine!

Welcome to our game, @Eddie99. It's always good to see new contributors to this amazing thread.

• Like 4

Final pic, from a local Facecloth site.  See the kite-flyers having a good look!

Looking forward to joining QM next year, and hopefully travelling further than PortlandAAEB4339-008E-4F0A-AAFA-4CC3CACE0750.thumb.jpeg.f92ce32784382467c2ebaa5b9fd6925b.jpeg

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Leith perhaps?

Think you are right. Initially thought the quay there is much more substantial and she's facing the wrong way, but there is a photo showing this less substantial structure on her starboard side with that motor launch.

• Like 1

My apologies

I know I said it was my last pic of Queen Mary 2 in Portland, but this is such a good picture from Friday (was it Friday? - I lose track)

If any Queens make it to Portland again, this will be a useful picture to identify their location.  See the harbour walls and the Jurassic Coast in the distance0249F258-093B-4C55-AAA6-9B4B59B92E02.thumb.jpeg.94ebf0a591df0e0ee268b986be7fed4c.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @NE John.  I also noticed QE's Port Lincoln South Australia plaque during our February voyage. That one went up on the wall rather quickly.  Perhaps QE never got any plaques from the five maiden calls to to Fiji/Vanuatu/New Caledonia in February. 

The two new Japan ones look very nice!  Thanks again, and also for your Alaska postings.  Hope your trip continues to go well.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Thanks @NE John.  I also noticed QE's Port Lincoln South Australia plaque during our February voyage. That one went up on the wall rather quickly.  Perhaps QE never got any plaques from the five maiden calls to to Fiji/Vanuatu/New Caledonia in February. 

The two new Japan ones look very nice!  Thanks again, and also for your Alaska postings.  Hope your trip continues to go well.

I don’t also see any “Pearls of the Black Sea” maiden call plaques we went on in Oct. 2012. The Japanese ports of call artwork is second to none. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Don't think a Cunard ship has called here but was new to us on our most recent cruise this month.

Thanks @2BACRUISER.  This is Taranto, Italy.  Very nice photos.  The first is the Castello Aragonese, and the second and third are of the Monumento al Marinaio.

I think you are correct that the current Cunard fleet has not been to Taranto.  However, I suspected that perhaps some Cunard ship had been there in the past, particularly during WW1 or WW2 as a hospital or troop ship.  I found the following reference in Wikipedia for MV Britannic, which although originally a White Star Line ship, also sailed for Cunard after the 1934 merger.  She was requisitioned during WW2 as a troop ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Britannic_(1929)

"Between November 1943 and May 1944 Britannic made four transatlantic round trips: two to New York and two to Boston. She then took 3,288 troops with Convoy KMF 32 from Liverpool to Port Said in Egypt. She made two round trips between there and Taranto in Italy and then took 2,940 troops to Liverpool, where she arrived on 11 August."

image.png.5e6c99a9677a5a0159db949983c9737b.png

On this basis, perhaps we can count Taranto as a "seen" Cunard port?  @bluemarble is currently on QM2 returning to NY, but will perhaps see this at some point and provide a ruling.

Thanks again, @2BACRUISER.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @2BACRUISER.  This is Taranto, Italy.  Very nice photos.  The first is the Castello Aragonese, and the second and third are of the Monumento al Marinaio.

I think you are correct that the current Cunard fleet has not been to Taranto.  However, I suspected that perhaps some Cunard ship had been there in the past, particularly during WW1 or WW2 as a hospital or troop ship.  I found the following reference in Wikipedia for MV Britannic, which although originally a White Star Line ship, also sailed for Cunard after the 1934 merger.  She was requisitioned during WW2 as a troop ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Britannic_(1929)

"Between November 1943 and May 1944 Britannic made four transatlantic round trips: two to New York and two to Boston. She then took 3,288 troops with Convoy KMF 32 from Liverpool to Port Said in Egypt. She made two round trips between there and Taranto in Italy and then took 2,940 troops to Liverpool, where she arrived on 11 August."

image.png.5e6c99a9677a5a0159db949983c9737b.png

On this basis, perhaps we can count Taranto as a "seen" Cunard port?  @bluemarble is currently on QM2 returning to NY, but will perhaps see this at some point and provide a ruling.

Thanks again, @2BACRUISER.

Based on your research, @sfred, I think we should add Taranto, Italy to our seen Cunard ports list with the double asterisk footnote notation indicating "wartime service call" similar to our entry for Luderitz, Namibia.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 5

I may be cheating a little, especially as it isn't even a Cunard ship in the photo, but it was taken from a Cunard ship, so I think it counts! (Even if the Cunarder in question had swapped her RMS for an HMS at the time.)

image.thumb.png.32104c48297a1a0ba4cfb61734476fef.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Based on your research, @sfred, I think we should add Taranto, Italy to our seen Cunard ports list with the double asterisk footnote notation indicating "wartime service call" similar to our entry for Luderitz, Namibia.

Thanks @bluemarble.  Port 661 in the Where in the World game, number 32 in Italy, and number 197 in the former Roman empire.

MV Britannia was rather interesting research.  Built in 1930 for White Star Line prior to the Cunard merger, she was powered by two diesel engines, which were new maritime technology in that day.  It made for efficient operation in contrast to coal or oil fired steam boilers, and she was one of only three White Star ships (along with Georgic and Laurentic) to be retained by Cunard until finally being scrapped in 1961.

Taranto looks like a nice port.  Coincidentally, Mrs. sfred was watching one of the Stanley Tucci "Searching for Italy" shows earlier this week, and the episode was in the Taranto/Bari/Brindisi region of Italy. 

On 6/27/2024 at 7:56 PM, Clewgarnet said:

I may be cheating a little, especially as it isn't even a Cunard ship in the photo, but it was taken from a Cunard ship, so I think it counts! (Even if the Cunarder in question had swapped her RMS for an HMS at the time.)

image.thumb.png.32104c48297a1a0ba4cfb61734476fef.png

It's been a few days, so I'll go ahead and identify this photo from @Clewgarnet.  This is RMS Olympic at the White Star Pier in New York.  Smoke is visible from funnels 2 and 3, so she may have been either preparing for departure or recently arrived. 

An interesting operational question - most historic photos I've seen of liners at the old Manhattan west side piers are bow-in.  Was there a particular reason for this?  What made it easier for the ship and tugs to arrive forward and depart backward, versus the other way around?

5 minutes ago, sfred said:

An interesting operational question - most historic photos I've seen of liners at the old Manhattan west side piers are bow-in.  Was there a particular reason for this?  What made it easier for the ship and tugs to arrive forward and depart backward, versus the other way around?

I've really no idea. I thought perhaps to reduce risk of damage to rudder or screws?

And nowadays the azipods on modern ships?

I was thinking about it earlier when someone commented that QM2's bow would stick out into Hudson and thought she wouldn't be that way round.

11 hours ago, sfred said:

It's been a few days, so I'll go ahead and identify this photo from @Clewgarnet.  This is RMS Olympic at the White Star Pier in New York.  Smoke is visible from funnels 2 and 3, so she may have been either preparing for departure or recently arrived. 

Which Cunard ship was it taken from?

Perhaps it is simply that there is more space to aim at when backing out?

22 hours ago, sfred said:

Edit:  Apologies, I didn't do enough google research when finding the photo that @Clewgarnet posted.  This is not RMS Olympic at NY, but rather Olympic at Halifax. 

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Which Cunard ship was it taken from?

Perhaps it is simply that there is more space to aim at when backing out?

Caronia, during her time on the Halifax station in WWI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1