Juneau and Ketchikan choices....

etravel

Ok, I am certainly getting myself confused here! I guess that's what research is for to narrow down the choices!!! So, I am now thinking in Ketchikan not to do Totem Bright or Saxman...instead it's either going to be The Berring Sea Crab Fisherman tour or one of the Seaplanes to Misty Fjords or the Crab fest....I see what Budget Queen means about that's kind of a pricey plane ride just to get you to the crab fest....or have even thought something simple and fun, the Lumberjack Show and spend sometime looking at the totem poles downtown...

Then Juneau we are deciding between the helicopter ride that touches down on the glacier and you do a walkabout for about an hour..seems like a cool tour...Or I'm still interested in the Seaplane flight of the 5 glaciers (no walking on them of course..lol) and the Taku Lodge feast..see great too and you might see a bear or two there...

So, I would guess that the Seaplane and Helicopter experiences are different but not sure that I want to do two flights that go to a crab or salmon feast..need to narrown that down!!! The Taku Lodge with the flight and seeiing the glaciers really sounds amazing!!!

My husband has been in several helicopter ride with a business associate but never in Alaska and we have never been in a seaplane! 

Sorry to ramble...but I would appreciate your thoughts and steering me in the right direction!!! 

Thanks in advance...

Edited by etravel
adding to it

There is no “right “ decision.  ANY of your choices could be perfect.    I personally have done all of your list-  with the exception of the Bering Sea tour-  (my clear choice was the real, working Time Bandit 🤩).   

What responses you’re likely to get are single “recommendations “. Based on the tours the poster took.   You aren’t likely to see many negative reviews with any of them.  

In my opinion-  forget about trying to choose now-  it’s too early and you’re all over the place.   It’s a mistake-  since your ideas will change (they already have- how many times?). 

This is a decision YOU have to make.  

44 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

There is no “right “ decision.  ANY of your choices could be perfect.    I personally have done all of your list-  with the exception of the Bering Sea tour-  (my clear choice was the real, working Time Bandit 🤩).   

What responses you’re likely to get are single “recommendations “. Based on the tours the poster took.   You aren’t likely to see many negative reviews with any of them.  

In my opinion-  forget about trying to choose now-  it’s too early and you’re all over the place.   It’s a mistake-  since your ideas will change (they already have- how many times?). 

This is a decision YOU have to make.  

You're right Budget Queen I am all over the place!!! Very indecisve about those two ports.....I do like to hear from those who experienced any of these tours and yes even mostly the positive ones!!!! We do have plenty of time that's for sure, but want to at least be thinking of what is best for us....thx....

• Like 1

I agree with Budget Queen based upon what you have posted.  Slow down, take a deep breath or two, maybe even put all of your "considering" on hold for awhile.  There's certainly no need to rush.  

I loved the Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour, the 5 Glaciers and Taku Lodge Salmon Feast Tour, and the seaplane trip to Misty Fjords (just be certain that your plane actually lands on a lake and that you are allowed to get out of the plane and stand on its floats for awhile in order to absorb what you are experiencing).  Be aware that you will be using a seaplane for both the 5 Glaciers and the Misty Fjord excursions; you might not want to do both as a result. 

In Juneau, a bit off the regular tourist path, but two things that I enjoyed was a tour of the Alaska State Capitol and a visit to the Alaska State Museum.   

For me, viewing totem poles is unexciting; the Lumberjack show sounds "touristy" which is why I have not done it, but, it probably is fun.  

It's your vacation.  Do what you wish!  And, I think you will return home planning on another trip to Alaska.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree with Budget Queen based upon what you have posted.  Slow down, take a deep breath or two, maybe even put all of your "considering" on hold for awhile.  There's certainly no need to rush.  

I loved the Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour, the 5 Glaciers and Taku Lodge Salmon Feast Tour, and the seaplane trip to Misty Fjords (just be certain that your plane actually lands on a lake and that you are allowed to get out of the plane and stand on its floats for awhile in order to absorb what you are experiencing).  Be aware that you will be using a seaplane for both the 5 Glaciers and the Misty Fjord excursions; you might not want to do both as a result. 

In the past-  unless you were just booking a short fly out of Ketchikan.   In Misty Fjords -  flights landed.  I disagree with the above about just getting on the floats.   This is me minimal.   I actually want off the plane. 🤩.    It depends on the vendor permits.   

There’s also no negative doing 2 floatplane tours.    Very different tours.     Taku Lodge in my opinion is also an enhanced salmon bake for quality (that is my priority for any food- I simply don’t compromise-  I want- wow  ).  

• Like 1

Not sure if this helps you, but I have planned several plane tours and several boat tours on my trip next year, because they allow me to see amazing scenery and/or wildlife in different areas of this vast amazing state. The transport may be similar but the vistas will be unique. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

just getting on the floats.  

My memory of experiencing this is as vivid today as it was in 1996.  Landing on the lake; I expected that.  When the pilot told us that he would help us out of the plane and stand on the floats for awhile, I was surprised.  (It had taken quite a bit of "screwing up my courage" to even book this floatplane tour and now I was going to get out of the plane and stand on its floats!  OMG!)  I did and the experience was awesome!  The beauty surrounding us and the silence--oh, the silence!  I have never experienced anything like that on any other tour that I have ever booked.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My memory of experiencing this is as vivid today as it was in 1996.  Landing on the lake; I expected that.  When the pilot told us that he would help us out of the plane and stand on the floats for awhile, I was surprised.  (It had taken quite a bit of "screwing up my courage" to even book this floatplane tour and now I was going to get out of the plane and stand on its floats!  OMG!)  I did and the experience was awesome!  The beauty surrounding us and the silence--oh, the silence!  I have never experienced anything like that on any other tour that I have ever booked.  

that does def sound amazing!!!

On 8/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, etravel said:

Ok, I am certainly getting myself confused here! I guess that's what research is for to narrow down the choices!!! So, I am now thinking in Ketchikan not to do Totem Bright or Saxman...instead it's either going to be The Berring Sea Crab Fisherman tour or one of the Seaplanes to Misty Fjords or the Crab fest....I see what Budget Queen means about that's kind of a pricey plane ride just to get you to the crab fest....or have even thought something simple and fun, the Lumberjack Show and spend sometime looking at the totem poles downtown...

Then Juneau we are deciding between the helicopter ride that touches down on the glacier and you do a walkabout for about an hour..seems like a cool tour...Or I'm still interested in the Seaplane flight of the 5 glaciers (no walking on them of course..lol) and the Taku Lodge feast..see great too and you might see a bear or two there...

So, I would guess that the Seaplane and Helicopter experiences are different but not sure that I want to do two flights that go to a crab or salmon feast..need to narrown that down!!! The Taku Lodge with the flight and seeiing the glaciers really sounds amazing!!!

My husband has been in several helicopter ride with a business associate but never in Alaska and we have never been in a seaplane! 

Sorry to ramble...but I would appreciate your thoughts and steering me in the right direction!!! 

Thanks in advance...

I love your excitement!  I had to reschedule my September 2020 cruise (sniff) to September 2021 due to COVID.  We're doing whale watching and Mendenhall glacier in Juneau.  Kind of bummed for Ketchikan as the new booking is shorter than the original and we're only in port from 7 to 1. I feel like if I do an excursion it will/should be ship's excursion in Ketchikan.   Hard to find anything I'm wild about when I'm pouting.

• Like 1

I'll just add my 2 cents here. We absolutely loved the Bering Sea Tour the two times we have done it.

We have done it both in mid May and early September...May was actually the better of the two for some reason.