Does anyone use CBD for pain ?

lenquixote66

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I personally don't. However, my brother lent me a balm he had with CBD for my back, and it actually helped. However, please remember that as of right now, it is still against the rules to bring CBD products on a ship.

I was not aware,why is that ?

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was not aware,why is that ?

It's still illegal to carry CBD across state lines as it is still illegal at the federal level. Plus, since cruise ships aren't registered in the US, it would need to be legal in the flagged countries. I believe each line also has it listed on their forbidden list.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

It's still illegal to carry CBD across state lines as it is still illegal at the federal level. Plus, since cruise ships aren't registered in the US, it would need to be legal in the flagged countries. I believe each line also has it listed on their forbidden list.

I just googled and read that it is legal if less than 0,3 % .

On 8/29/2020 at 9:40 AM, lenquixote66 said:

On my last cruise I was in excruciating pain and a guy that I met on board suggested CBD.

I have used it, both with and without THC, worked pretty well for my peripheral neuropathy, but not much help with pain. 

Others seem to have different results.

I should have added that my pain is from a spine that doctors refer to as complex, or as my GP puts it a complicated mess, it has just about put an end to my cruising as the ships vibration causes agony. My Peripheral Neuropathy could be from my spine, my diabetes or both.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:50 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I just googled and read that it is legal if less than 0,3 % .

However, since CBD products are not regulated by the FDA, there is no control over what the actual THC content of any product is.  And, while CBD products may be legal in various flag state nations, remember that ships will have different requirements based on the STCW convention, which has a zero tolerance for drugs on ships, and if the CBD product has sufficient THC to be detected by a drug test, then it will be illegal on the ship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I should have added that my pain is from a spine that doctors refer to as complex, or as my GP puts it a complicated mess, it has just about put an end to my cruising as the ships vibration causes agony. My Peripheral Neuropathy could be from my spine, my diabetes or both.

Nothing is working for me.I have had surgeries,8 epidurals,accupuncture,physical therapy.I am back in physical therapy again.One of my doctors suggested Cymbalta which I have in the house but the side effects can kill me.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

However, since CBD products are not regulated by the FDA, there is no control over what the actual THC content of any product is.  And, while CBD products may be legal in various flag state nations, remember that ships will have different requirements based on the STCW convention, which has a zero tolerance for drugs on ships, and if the CBD product has sufficient THC to be detected by a drug test, then it will be illegal on the ship.

When you have as much pain as I do you are willing to do anything or almost anything regardless of the consequences.

36 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nothing is working for me.I have had surgeries,8 epidurals,accupuncture,physical therapy.I am back in physical therapy again.One of my doctors suggested Cymbalta which I have in the house but the side effects can kill me.

All I can say about Cymbalta is Yuck, have been on almost every Opiate made, Oxycontin (400mg a day) Fentanyl, Morphine, Ketamine, none work anymore they think we have managed to burn out my opiate receptors. Nerve drugs to numerous to list (most the side effects are worse than what they are designed to treat). Muscle relaxants. Epidurals, Steroid injections, Radio Frequency Ablations. PHysio Therapy and massage (until my therapist who has been a friend most of my life And treats international sports people saw the latest scans and said “I’m not touching that anymore I could so easily kill you, and if you let anyone else touch you, I will kill you)  I was also treated for years by a bloke who normally does race horses and dogs and only touches humans who pay a small fortune (dogs are by donation, race horse by a % of their winnings over the next few weeks) acupuncture, hydrotherapy and hypnotherapy.

Neurosurgeon said he wouldn’t necessarily refuse to operate but would take a lot of persuading, and signed waivers.

As I said cbd has been good for peripheral neuropathy but not pain. I basically only cruise Australia/NZ, but won’t take CBD on any cruise, indeed researched intensely what opiates I could take where many I could take on the ship, but not ashore, so that was pretty useful.

Unfortunately I suspect that my cruising days are almost over, my last couple of cruises left me in agony as every vibration had me bones feeling like someone was running a grinder over them, so many of my discs are non-existent (yes even sitting in my wheelchair it was just about unbearable.)

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

All I can say about Cymbalta is Yuck, have been on almost every Opiate made, Oxycontin (400mg a day) Fentanyl, Morphine, Ketamine, none work anymore they think we have managed to burn out my opiate receptors. Nerve drugs to numerous to list (most the side effects are worse than what they are designed to treat). Muscle relaxants. Epidurals, Steroid injections, Radio Frequency Ablations. PHysio Therapy and massage (until my therapist who has been a friend most of my life And treats international sports people saw the latest scans and said “I’m not touching that anymore I could so easily kill you, and if you let anyone else touch you, I will kill you)  I was also treated for years by a bloke who normally does race horses and dogs and only touches humans who pay a small fortune (dogs are by donation, race horse by a % of their winnings over the next few weeks) acupuncture, hydrotherapy and hypnotherapy.

Neurosurgeon said he wouldn’t necessarily refuse to operate but would take a lot of persuading, and signed waivers.

As I said cbd has been good for peripheral neuropathy but not pain. I basically only cruise Australia/NZ, but won’t take CBD on any cruise, indeed researched intensely what opiates I could take where many I could take on the ship, but not ashore, so that was pretty useful.

Unfortunately I suspect that my cruising days are almost over, my last couple of cruises left me in agony as every vibration had me bones feeling like someone was running a grinder over them, so many of my discs are non-existent (yes even sitting in my wheelchair it was just about unbearable.)

You are a very nice person and I hope and pray that you will be able to have some form of comfort.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

You are a very nice person and I hope and pray that you will be able to have some form of comfort.

Thank you, not so sure I am a nice person, many days I cant stand myself. One big downside of constant pain is you can get very short and intolerant of a lot of things, on my good days I do try to follow the golden rule and Treat others......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Thank you, not so sure I am a nice person, many days I cant stand myself. One big downside of constant pain is you can get very short and intolerant of a lot of things, on my good days I do try to follow the golden rule and Treat others......

I am in so much pain that I do not know what to do.One of my doctors suggested Neurontin but the side effects seem to be worse than cymbals.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am in so much pain that I do not know what to do.One of my doctors suggested Neurontin but the side effects seem to be worse than cymbals.

I certainly understand where you are coming from, here getting CBD means multiple approvals, but if it is easier where you are, by all means try it, but be aware it isn’t always the miracle worker some claim.

I too am sick of not getting relief, I have tried pretty much everything, the things that give even temporary relief leave me unable to function, there are multiple theories that I am sure you have heard before. And whilst the pain has had me at suicides door the constant falls loss of bladder and bowel control and inability to function (I have mini strokes when my damaged neck cuts off blood supply to the brain) are probably as bad or worse.

Then you toss in frustration at having to all but abandon my career, barely be able to read, we have a library of thousands of books everyone of which I have read, and now looking seriously at having to give up cruising when most other form of travel had already gone (My dear wife can’t fly and long road trips are a real problem).

Some days the only joy I get Is when my pup snuggles up. Should have seen him on Monday, I had a fall when I went to check on my Daughter’s dog (11 with epilepsy and I thought he was fitting) it is Winter here and Monday was cold, here was I laid out on the cold, damp grass, unable to get back to my feet and my wonderful little Max kept moving around my body to keep different parts of me warm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I certainly understand where you are coming from, here getting CBD means multiple approvals, but if it is easier where you are, by all means try it, but be aware it isn’t always the miracle worker some claim.

I too am sick of not getting relief, I have tried pretty much everything, the things that give even temporary relief leave me unable to function, there are multiple theories that I am sure you have heard before. And whilst the pain has had me at suicides door the constant falls loss of bladder and bowel control and inability to function (I have mini strokes when my damaged neck cuts off blood supply to the brain) are probably as bad or worse.

Then you toss in frustration at having to all but abandon my career, barely be able to read, we have a library of thousands of books everyone of which I have read, and now looking seriously at having to give up cruising when most other form of travel had already gone (My dear wife can’t fly and long road trips are a real problem).

Some days the only joy I get Is when my pup snuggles up. Should have seen him on Monday, I had a fall when I went to check on my Daughter’s dog (11 with epilepsy and I thought he was fitting) it is Winter here and Monday was cold, here was I laid out on the cold, damp grass, unable to get back to my feet and my wonderful little Max kept moving around my body to keep different parts of me warm.

I one of my daughters has a dog who gives me welcome comfort.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My nephew (niece's husband) suffers from ankylosing spondylitis.  He has had it for a few years, and not much helped.  He was taking 23 meds/pills a day.  He was prescribed medical marijuana, and it has worked a near miracle.  He takes it in an oil form, and it contains THC.  It is titrated in drops.  He is also down to six pills a day of the previous meds.  EM

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2020 at 2:53 AM, GUT2407 said:

I have used it, both with and without THC, worked pretty well for my peripheral neuropathy, but not much help with pain. 

Others seem to have different results.

A friend who has neuropathy asked me about bringing his THC cream on the ship.  Technically, I know it's illegal to bring across state lines as well as on the ship.  As a practical matter, I wasn't sure how strictly that was enforced. He has a medical marijuana card in PA, and I know it's legal in CA (where we're sailing from.)  But wasn't sure whether he should chance bringing it on the plane (maybe in his checked bag?) or maybe hitting a dispensary in CA.  Then not sure how they treat such things on the ship.  Given the demographics of many cruisers, I've got to think this comes up all the time but it was never anything I gave much thought to since I don't partake, let alone creams etc.

Has anyone had experience?

On 9/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, phillygwm said:

A friend who has neuropathy asked me about bringing his THC cream on the ship.  Technically, I know it's illegal to bring across state lines as well as on the ship.  As a practical matter, I wasn't sure how strictly that was enforced. He has a medical marijuana card in PA, and I know it's legal in CA (where we're sailing from.)  But wasn't sure whether he should chance bringing it on the plane (maybe in his checked bag?) or maybe hitting a dispensary in CA.  Then not sure how they treat such things on the ship.  Given the demographics of many cruisers, I've got to think this comes up all the time but it was never anything I gave much thought to since I don't partake, let alone creams etc.

Has anyone had experience?

I would definitely NOT risk taking aboard any substance that is not allowed by the cruise line, or by any port/country the ship sails to (or even might!), or any airport one will (or even might) fly through.

However, there are different penalties for different substances, and they aren't always what one might expect from "how things work in your own home area", etc.

For example, in Japan, one can get permission to bring some controlled substances, and it isn't difficult to deal with... all by email.

OTOH, they absolutely forbid the original formulation Sudafed tablets.  Full stop.  (The newer OTC formulation is okay, for those for whom that type works.)

There are a couple of airports we won't even fly through, lest we end up needing to leave airside.  Indeed, given the very severe penalties in some locations, we won't even risk going through certain airports even if we plan to stay airside...

It can get tricky, but it's just not worth the risk.

However, we are not dealing with the incapacitating pain that some of you are dealing with.  But I think we'd stay home or avoid any risky destinations/stops, rather than risk taking certain substances with us when we travel, etc.

It's very unfortunate. 😞

I really do hope that you are able to find better relief somehow...

GC