Australia Pause

VK3DQ

Princess Pause Extension

Due to the continued progression of COVID-19 and related decisions of governments, health authorities, and airlines regarding travel restrictions, we are extending our pause in cruise operations in Australia through December 12, including various cruises throughout Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific. More details can be found here

Regards

John

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

Why could they not cancel right through Summer 2020/21?   I cannot see any cruising before the end of the southern summer.

Thank you for saying this. We have a cruise planned on the Regal for Early March and I really don't see it happening, but will wait to see if and when Princess cancels. Just can't see us having a vaccine by the end of the year, and now they are saying you may need 2 doses for it to work and who knows if or when it will be available, but maybe 2022 is looking like a lot better bet. Since you are in New Zealand please keep posting and letting us know how travel for US folks is looking over there. Would love to see your country, but want to see your country when we will not be a burden to the folks in your country if there is any chance of us bringing over the bug to you all.

@Shaver John

I don't know how much information you get in the USA, I presume you are in the USA as you haven't added a domicile to your profile.

NSW & Victoria are in serious trouble with a continued outbreak; Victoria is even talking of continuing their "State of Emergency" for 12 months.

New Zealand is in a better situation, about 10 cases a day most of which are in a single cluster in Auckland; the others are being caught at the border and are returning Kiwis.

We have an election in 6 weeks and so I cannot see any changes till we have a "new" government.   The one in power is holding to "no border opening till there is a vaccine" while the other is leaning towards an opening before that but they have announced no definite policy.

Both countries have 14 day managed isolation, some Australian states already with "user pays" and others and NZ looking at that.

We are in level 2 and we expect Auckland, which is in level 3, to join us tonight.   In level 2 life is almost "normal"; the only real thing missing is overseas travel.

HTH

Mike

21 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Shaver John

I don't know how much information you get in the USA, I presume you are in the USA as you haven't added a domicile to your profile.

NSW & Victoria are in serious trouble with a continued outbreak; Victoria is even talking of continuing their "State of Emergency" for 12 months.

New Zealand is in a better situation, about 10 cases a day most of which are in a single cluster in Auckland; the others are being caught at the border and are returning Kiwis.

We have an election in 6 weeks and so I cannot see any changes till we have a "new" government.   The one in power is holding to "no border opening till there is a vaccine" while the other is leaning towards an opening before that but they have announced no definite policy.

Both countries have 14 day managed isolation, some Australian states already with "user pays" and others and NZ looking at that.

We are in level 2 and we expect Auckland, which is in level 3, to join us tonight.   In level 2 life is almost "normal"; the only real thing missing is overseas travel.

HTH

Mike

Yes, we are from the USA. Sorry I did  not mention that. We are still not normal in California, but they are opening Salons on Monday so I guess a hair cut is in order. Thanks again for any info. Really like your posts.....

11 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

Yes, we are from the USA. Sorry I did  not mention that. We are still not normal in California, but they are opening Salons on Monday so I guess a hair cut is in order. Thanks again for any info. Really like your posts.....

We also live in California but I don't think anything in this state is ever what others would call "normal" even without the current health issues. 😜

1 hour ago, Shaver John said:

Thank you for saying this. We have a cruise planned on the Regal for Early March and I really don't see it happening, but will wait to see if and when Princess cancels. Just can't see us having a vaccine by the end of the year, and now they are saying you may need 2 doses for it to work and who knows if or when it will be available, but maybe 2022 is looking like a lot better bet. Since you are in New Zealand please keep posting and letting us know how travel for US folks is looking over there. Would love to see your country, but want to see your country when we will not be a burden to the folks in your country if there is any chance of us bringing over the bug to you all.

Presumably your Regal Princess cruise in early March 2021 is from an Australian port. I do not think there is any chance that you will be able to go on this cruise. Sorry to be blunt. 🙂 Thank you for your comment about not wanting to bring the bug with you. This is why the Australian government has restrictions on who can come into the country. Currently a very limited number are allowed and nearly all are Aussies trying to get home. They have to go into 14 days quarantine at their own expense. Because the major outbreak in Victoria started with people in quarantine, this restriction is not going to be lifted any time soon.

The Australian government may not allow cruise ships to come back into Australian waters by March next year, and if they do, probably only Australian and New Zealand passengers will be able to take the cruises. Our Prime Minister has stated that our international borders will remain closed until June 2021. It does not appear that NZ is any more inclined to open its borders.

I suggest you plan your cruise for early 2022. I hope and pray the pandemic will be tamed by then.

Honestly Cruising in Australia really will not start until 2012-2020 season....

(fingers crossed)

It would be nice if it was sooner....

but with all that is happening and some states talking about leaving interstate borders closed for a year .....

cruising is on the far back burner.

Cheers Don

5 hours ago, Shaver John said:

We are in California too, and our salons are not opening yet!  I have been patiently waiting for that to happen. My hair is in desperate need. 

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Presumably your Regal Princess cruise in early March 2021 is from an Australian port. I do not think there is any chance that you will be able to go on this cruise. Sorry to be blunt.

The Australian government may not allow cruise ships to come back into Australian waters by March next year, and if they do, probably only Australian and New Zealand passengers will be able to take the cruises. Our Prime Minister has stated that our international borders will remain closed until June 2021. It does not appear that NZ is any more inclined to open its borders.

Princess, and other cruise lines, walk a fine line between cancelling cruises unnecessarily vs. waiting too long to cancel them. If a cruise is still on the schedule, Princess believes there is a chance, however small, it may still happen.

But in this situation, there are several possibilities:

a) Sooner or later the cruise gets cancelled.

b) The cruise occurs, but only with local (in this case Australia/New Zealand) residents allowed to take it.

c) The cruise goes as scheduled with no restrictions.

All three options depend on knowing what the future holds in Covid-19 control, national policies on entry/exit for people from other countries to/from the embarkation/disembarkation port(s), and willingness of ports on an itinerary to allow cruise ships to go there as well as any touring restrictions that ports or the cruise line impose.

We are booked from Sydney on May 1st. I would love a miracle cure and for this to happen but realistically I know there is 0 chance. I don't think I would even be able to get to Australia for a land based holiday.  I am now assuming my Australia holiday will be in 2022. I hope by then we can all travel again and enjoy the pleasure of being at sea.