Does MSC USA want new customers???

mpdog42

Have a Question....Been trying to call MSC USA for two weeks, so I can book a MSC cruise out of Europe for next fall....However when I call, I get a 2.5 min speech about Covid, then told to press 1 for new bookings...After about 30 seconds it hangs up on me??   What Gives??

I could just do it thru the website, but it will not allow a military discount to be applied that way!

Edited by mpdog42

A lot of people report issues when calling MSC directly. The times when I've had to call, I've done so in the morning when they first open, and the call usually goes through without any issues. That I've been fortunate enough doesn't minimize the fact that a lot of people do have problems when calling them, and it's something that they should address.

With that said, I try to do as much as I can on their website and if I still need assistance, then I make the call. I booked back to back cruises for 2021 a few weeks ago and I did it without having to contact a live person. If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to do that requires a live person? 

The TA we use (online company) automatically gives us the military discount, or whatever appropriate discount would give us the best deal.

I've never tried calling MSC for anything, so no experience of that.  However, when I booked through our agent, he kept me on the line while he called his MSC contact, made a tentative booking, confirmed with me, and finalized everything within a few minutes.  It was painless.

• Like 2

Never had a problem getting through to MSC by phone, always call in the morning. But we typically use a travel agent so I've only had to call a total of 3 times since 2017 and that was to ask specific questions I didn't want to bother our TA with.

Last year this was a frequent complaint but during the pandemic I found it has been much easier to get through on the phone lines, even with their vastly reduced staffing.   I think the current difficulty could be due to that they offered this Healthcare discount that requires calling in to get applied.  I''m sure it is a time consuming process that they most likely now don't have enough staff to adequately handle.  I've found calling early often helped, also you can press any number key and skip the recorded COVID speech.

5 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I could just do it thru the website, but it will not allow a military discount to be applied that way!

Why not use a travel agent and let the agent be frustrated rather than you?

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The TA we use (online company) automatically gives us the military discount, or whatever appropriate discount would give us the best deal.

I've never tried calling MSC for anything, so no experience of that.  However, when I booked through our agent, he kept me on the line while he called his MSC contact, made a tentative booking, confirmed with me, and finalized everything within a few minutes.  It was painless.

Often, one will receive some additional benefits and/or better pricing than one will receive booking directly with the cruise line.  

I have come to the conclusion that some believe that travel agents are going to charge them a fee for their service.  For a cruise?  No.  If one just makes an airline reservation?  Yes.  

23 hours ago, Tapi said:

A lot of people report issues when calling MSC directly. The times when I've had to call, I've done so in the morning when they first open, and the call usually goes through without any issues. That I've been fortunate enough doesn't minimize the fact that a lot of people do have problems when calling them, and it's something that they should address.

With that said, I try to do as much as I can on their website and if I still need assistance, then I make the call. I booked back to back cruises for 2021 a few weeks ago and I did it without having to contact a live person. If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to do that requires a live person? 

Military discount

23 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Have a Question....Been trying to call MSC USA for two weeks, so I can book a MSC cruise out of Europe for next fall....However when I call, I get a 2.5 min speech about Covid, then told to press 1 for new bookings...After about 30 seconds it hangs up on me??   What Gives??

Couple of options:

1.  Use a Travel Agency.  They will apply that for you, or call MSC on your behalf.

2.  Since you trip is not until 2021, book online.  Then email them with your booking number and ask them to apply the discount.

MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com

BTW - if you have status on another cruise line or hotel, MSC will match the status.  Then you get another 5% off.

44 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Military discount

Book online and then call just to apply the military discount. Or use a 3rd party travel site that handles military discounts to book. When I'm taking advantage of my airline discount, I normally book through an interline agency because its most times easier than booking directly with the cruise line. 

Thanks Guys .....Got through today but there was confusion as the price for my cruise on the agents end was more that booking through the computer...so he told me to book through the website and call back later to apply the military discount.....I also looked at Carnival Legend out of Rome and the Royal Odyssey of the seas but I am not sure that Carnival will move a ship to Europe next year...and the Odyssey is not even finished....So I though a European line might be a good choise  instead a wait and see if Royal and Carnival make a move....Any thoughts?

MSC required me to email proof of my civil service and the same is being required for the healthcare worker discount.  The fare will not be discounted until they have it in hand and approved.  The terms also state you must bring that same proof at boarding but I have never been asked for it at embarkation.