The Daily for Monday Sep 14, 2020

richwmn

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

333838_10150462574800729_1436881011_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=4_QLs7lTgxAAX_5NOjG&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=6f5d41520a991efaef81377ef6cdc763&oe=5F854DC7 

Volendam's captain for the rugby charter was Dutchman Pieter Visser, like yours truly, born in Amsterdam, and he was one of only two captains (Pieter Jan van Maurik was the other) in the then HAL fleet authorized to fly his “own” flag at Volendam’s stern. Captain Visser, now retired, is a 32-year veteran of the Royal Netherlands Navy. After retiring from active duty, he joined the Naval Reserve and, with permission from the Dutch Minister of Defense, was entitled to fly the official tricolor (Dutch red, white and blue national colors with a foul anchor under the royal crown in a white disk in the center) of that service.

We have sailed with Captain Visser, appreciated learning about his flag on the Volendam.

We boarded the Volendam in Sydney the day he retired from HAL, there was an guard of honour when he walked off the ship, lots of tooting.  Captain Visser was standing beside the Opera  House waving, when Volendam sailed out from Sydney, again lots of tooting from the ship horn.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you!  We love it but don’t think we will get in the pool again this season. The water temperature is about 80 and too cold for us. 🙂

I like 90 myself. 😉 But we don't heat and it is usually 84-86. Our pool was 75 last week, and I couldn't go in....even with the heat. That's why it's getting closed tomorrow. 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

I like 90 myself. 😉 But we don't heat and it is usually 84-86. Our pool was 75 last week, and I couldn't go in....even with the heat. That's why it's getting closed tomorrow. 😄

Yes, 88 is perfect, and 90 only happens for a few weeks. We don’t heat our pool either.  I usually wait to get in until it’s 85-86.  Fortunately we’ve had a long season this year with our extreme heat 🥵.  We have had visitors get in the early spring and late fall but not me. 

• Like 3

I like 86-88  for the pool too.  We are still at 84 here in mid Florida and still go in but it's chilly for me.  We are getting the pool re-done next month and installing a pool heater.  Will use it often this winter I'm sure.  Since we are not cruising we have the $$.  LOL

• Like 3

@Sharon in AZ, @Dismomx5 & @summer slope, I am an 84 - 88 person. I get a lot of sun, and rarely have to use my solar panels to heat the water.

My family and I laugh because I grew up in New England, where the ocean water was in the 40 degree range - and you could not keep me out of the water.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

I like 86-88  for the pool too.  We are still at 84 here in mid Florida and still go in but it's chilly for me.  We are getting the pool re-done next month and installing a pool heater.  Will use it often this winter I'm sure.  Since we are not cruising we have the $$.  LOL

Yes. 20-30 years ago, we had an electric heater on the pool. The kids would start in March, "When are we opening the pool?" The kids swam April until Thanksgiving (2nd week of October). The cost of the heater was huge and closing in October was soooo cold, so we haven't had a heater for years. I'd consider adding solar panels to heat the water, but I'm not sure how practical it is at this time.

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

@Sharon in AZ, @Dismomx5 & @summer slope, I am an 84 - 88 person. I get a lot of sun, and rarely have to use my solar panels to heat the water.

My family and I laugh because I grew up in New England, where the ocean water was in the 40 degree range - and you could not keep me out of the water.  

Same here in southwestern Ontario-but Lake Huron not the ocean (so probably 60º, not 40), swimming from Victoria weekend on. I have one sister who still loves to swim. Now, I'm an in and do lengths for 20 minutes, float for 10 and then out kind of person--unless there is company around.

• Like 3