BVI open for visitors 12/1

jimbo5544

Fingers crossed that this is the start of more good things, vs a stutter-start false hope resume shutdown all hopes dashed on the rocks thing.

Does Carnival (CCL) ever cruise there?  I know they go to The USVI (St Thomas).

EDIT: ah, yes they do, "Tortola".  For some reason I do not associate that name with BVI, some sort of mental block.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Fingers crossed that this is the start of more good things, vs a stutter-start false hope resume shutdown all hopes dashed on the rocks thing.

Does Carnival (CCL) ever cruise there?  I know they go to The USVI (St Thomas).

EDIT: ah, yes they do, "Tortola".  For some reason I do not associate that name with BVI, some sort of mental block.

One of my fav ports, so rich with history, soggy dollar bar, Dead Mans chest.  

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Hmph, I just did a search for cruises to Tortola (using the destination browser -> show A-Z -> Tortola -> Search for cruises) and it comes back empty.

So although theoretically a destination, perhaps not one in the current plans.  Or the search engine is broken?

Tortola was mostly on the Fascination and Magic’s itineraries, sooo since neither are sailing soon, maybe they don’t have any current plans to dock there. 
We went there on our Leap Day cruise on the Magic. We were also suppose to dock there on our now cancelled Fascination cruise for Jan. 2021. 

Edited by MeganGC1983

3 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Tortola was mostly on the Fascination and Magic’s itineraries, sooo since neither are sailing soon, maybe they don’t have any current plans to dock there. 
We went there on our Leap Day cruise on the Magic. We were also suppose to dock there on our now cancelled Fascination cruise for Jan. 2021. 

Yeah, that would make sense.  Maybe the next dancing of the ships, after we get back to (new?) normal, will have it added back to the cruise itineraries.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We cruise in January, and I’m now starting to make back up plans for islands that will be open. Am I the only one?

Our itinerary is the ABCs, but who knows. 

Nope you're not the only one.

We cruise every April and December.

April was a bust so we are doing an AI in Cancun in December.

Mexico has never really been closed though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, coevan said:

BVI did not say cruise ships are welcome. They have stringent testing procedures and in some cases quarantine. I doubt they will let 3,000 people into the BVI all at once.

Did they exclude cruise ships?

21 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I also have to rain on this parade. The article doesn't mention which visitors will be welcome. We all know Americans are getting the side eye by all of Europe right now due to our 200,000 dead (more than Korea, Vietnam and all Gulf wars to present) and inability to agree on a national stance for combating this disease. We're seen as Covid carriers.

BVI will be leaving the EU come January, so that will be a bit different for them over there.

I wonder who will be allowed from Europe? Their covid is going out of control in several countries.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I wonder who will be allowed from Europe? Their covid is going out of control in several countries.

Exactly.  The US isn't the only place in the world that has issues with covid deaths.  I think when the islands open up, it will be with strict testing procedures whether before passengers are boarded on a plane heading there or before they board a cruise ship.  Cases are back up in places around the world because this is a virus.  It's time to learn to live with it and minimize the spread while proceeding to move on with life.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Hmph, I just did a search for cruises to Tortola (using the destination browser -> show A-Z -> Tortola -> Search for cruises) and it comes back empty. So although theoretically a destination, perhaps not one in the current plans.  Or the search engine is broken?

2 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Tortola was mostly on the Fascination and Magic’s itineraries, sooo since neither are sailing soon, maybe they don’t have any current plans to dock there. We went there on our Leap Day cruise on the Magic. We were also suppose to dock there on our now cancelled Fascination cruise for Jan. 2021. 

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yeah, that would make sense.  Maybe the next dancing of the ships, after we get back to (new?) normal, will have it added back to the cruise itineraries.

I'm fairly certain that Tortola was a stop on those 5-6 port-intensive itineraries out of San Juan, most recently on the Fascination.  With the Fascination now gone and Carnival leaving San Juan, it might be a while before Tortola shows up on any future Carnival itineraries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sarmat1 said:

I'm fairly certain that Tortola was a stop on those 5-6 port-intensive itineraries out of San Juan, most recently on the Fascination.  With the Fascination now gone and Carnival leaving San Juan, it might be a while before Tortola shows up on any future Carnival itineraries.

I’m thinking, IF it’s open to cruisers, it could be a substitute port when places like Grand Turk won’t open to the cruisers at first. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Maybe?