The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

54 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I could not quite acquire a taste for Bartok... I lean more towards the old stuff - the Germans/Austrians and Baroque.

I understand - Bartok's later works were, usually, not as melodic as his earlier works. I love all classical music (classical used in its broader sense) - from medieval (love Gregorian Chants) to modern. But, like you, I tend to favor the Baroque, Classical and Romantic periods. Beethoven spanned both the Classical & Romantic periods and he is my absolute favorite.

My fondest dream ... to see Lang Lang in concert at the Liszt Academy, playing Liszt's La Campanella or Hungarian Rhapsody #2 (Liszt is so very difficult to play). I realize that this is most likely just a "pipe dream" - will probably never happen as Lang Lang usually performs only in large, sold-out venues.

I was privileged to attend a Lang Lang concert at Carnegie Hall last year and have twice attended his concerts in my home city.

If you are interested, below is a link to a youtube of Lang Lang playing Liszt's La Campanella - Lang Lang is, IMHO, an unrivaled pianist.

Edited by dogs4fun

6 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Playing with half a deck here as most of my pictures are home on the network hard drive. So from the limited selection I have on my laptop, here's another one. We didn't visit this city on a river cruise but many do.

DSC03098.thumb.JPG.9e9335474237aa167686d1d6a53642bb.JPG

8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Playing with half a deck here as most of my pictures are home on the network hard drive. So from the limited selection I have on my laptop, here's another one. We didn't visit this city on a river cruise but many do.

DSC03098.thumb.JPG.9e9335474237aa167686d1d6a53642bb.JPG

Oh, I know what it is & so will notamermaid. Not saying though - let someone else have a chance. I don't know if someone would visit from a river cruise though but could be wrong. I know that people visit during an ocean cruise. Great photo, btw.

Edited: I see Mitina answered while I was typing. Now - wondering what is the river cruise? I know that some are offered but would you actually embark in Berlin? Is the Spree deep enough?

Edited by dogs4fun

7 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Viking Elegant Elbe.  Starts in Berlin.  

Wow - you actually embark in Berlin? Thanks - learned something new.

Edited: I just checked the Viking website. The cruise portion of the Elegant Elbe actually begins in Wittenberg - now it makes sense. 🙂

I know that ocean cruises docking in Warnemunde/Rostock travel to Berlin for a day tour (long ride though & no time to really explore the city).

Edited by dogs4fun

17 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Berlin Reichstag on the Spree (Elbe cruise)?

Absolutely! 

And yes, you can visit from an Ocean cruise. But I was diligent and I checked the Viking site to make sure their Elbe cruises visit there as well, before posting. We did neither.

We took a train there from Prague, and spent three days there on our own. We still missed a lot and need to visit again.

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We took a train there from Prague, and spent three days there on our own. We still missed a lot and need to visit again.

Isn't Prague wonderful (so many beautiful Art Nouveau buildings and great music)? We want to return to Prague and Krakow - love both of those cities! Sure hope that travel is again allowed before I am too old & feeble to get around on my own. 🥺

I've visited Berlin a total of four times over the past ten years - never on a river cruise (obviously, as I didn't know squat). We spent nine days there (and surroundings) in 2016 - what a great city!  There is still much that we haven't seen but probably won't make it back there anytime soon.

Waiting for Mitina's addition ...

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Wow - you actually embark in Berlin? Thanks - learned something new.

Edited: I just checked the Viking website. The cruise portion of the Elegant Elbe actually begins in Wittenberg - now it makes sense. 🙂

There is actually one cruise - forget which line now - which cruises... yes CRUISES - between Prague and Berlin.  We did the Elbe with Viking - so had land portions before and after the cruise.  We ended in Berlin (disembarked in Wittenberg) - and made it to the Reischtag.  Would love to go back to Berlin - only had a few days there after the cruise - and there is so much more to see!!

Fran

• Like 1

Another iconic place - and a great photo jpalbny!

Would have guessed that, yes. But am busy and have not got photos ready, so am glad Mitina has guessed this one.

The Spree is deep enough for sailing, remember, all ships on the Elbe are shorter than standard and specially designed. Viking starts in Berlin but does not sail from Berlin anymore, embarkation is in Wittenberg. CroisiEurope actually sails from Berlin, a few other ships do as well. So, very much a valid photo for the game!

franski, we have crossed paths. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Kept meaning to ask you what Simon's is. But I have found it. The chocolate looks delicious and they have an online shop. My evening will be a good one! 😀 

Be sure to order some of their gingerbread.  So delicious.  They have several kinds and I don't remember the differences, but I do remember our favorite was the one in the green can! 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Kept meaning to ask you what Simon's is. But I have found it. The chocolate looks delicious and they have an online shop. My evening will be a good one! 😀 

Be sure to order some of their gingerbread.  So delicious.  They have several kinds and I don't remember the differences, but I do remember our favorite was the one in the green can! 😄

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Like Berlin, the cruise doesn't always start in this city.

IMG_1752.JPG

Do the red and white on the building represent the colors of a country's flag? Austria? Poland also has a red and white flag but fewer river cruises there.

As an aside, love the lion. Beautifully carved and love the polished parts reflect the light. We need a pair of them for our front entrance! 

Right, no real idea, but my thoughts are: crown and hint of a hat seem to suggest a combination of church and royalty. Not really a bishop's mitre, so no strong indication of archbishopric. Swirl points to Baroque, but could be a neo- of the 19th century. Whole arrangement points to palace. Cross points to church. Colours suggest Russian.

No, still no clue...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Found it!

Congratulations! I only have it narrowed down to the House of Habsburg (I think) - and they were all over Europe!! It looks like a colored version of the Imperial Crown of Austria.  I suspect that the structure dates from the late 1400's to the early 1600's but not sure.  I am not at all confident that I have actually seen the structure but can't be certain. It may turn-out to be a must see sight that everyone visits - no clue really. 

Edited by dogs4fun