The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

8 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

We will have to wait for QueenofEverything (who I assume is still fast asleep). My guess remains the same ...

Emmeram Palace/Regensburg/Danube

Wish I had a better photo myself - then I would know for certain. 

Edited to add: just checked on Google Maps - found what looks like the crown:

1033859489_Googlescreenshot.jpg.56009a89b43fba052ceddd57c321e1db.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

34 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Haven't got round to looking at the academy yet.

There are many photos of the gorgeous Art Nouveau interior & exterior on TripAdvisor here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d276857-Reviews-Liszt_Academy_Liszt_Ferenc_Academy_of_Music-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7

Oh, my goodness, what a building! 1907. I thought it was a little later than the usual opera houses and did not fit the standard architecture for such buildings either. Well, it is an academy!

They do live streaming, the website says. And a virtual tour which I will post in the other thread.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Another tricky one ...

Is it Emmeram Palace/Regensburg/Danube? If I recall, there is also an abbey?

I find the use of the crown interesting - think I first saw an example of that years ago on Stockholm's Royal Palace.

Time to collect my little doggies & call it a day. Will check-in tomorrow.

Correct!  It is the site of my favorite Christmas Market!  On the grounds of the palace are booths covered in fresh greenery and there are fires all around.  It is a feast for the senses and some pretty good shopping too!  And yes, there is a beautiful abbey which we were able to see as well.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Well, it is an academy!

Yes, the "new" academy replaced the old academy (founded by Liszt himself in 1875) on Andrassy  (which one can still visit).

Both Bela Bartok & Georg Solti were students of the prestigious Liszt academy back in the day - it is my favorite place to visit in a city filled with an embarrassment of wonderful places to explore. Budapest has quite a few outstanding examples of the Art Nouveau period.

1 hour ago, QueenofEverything said:

It is the site of my favorite Christmas Market!  On the grounds of the palace are booths covered in fresh greenery and there are fires all around. 

I'll bet it is a beautiful sight when all decked out for Christmas. Do you have a favorite photo of the Emmeram Christmas market to share?

OK - here is my next submission. Visually stunning area and not too difficult to identify. 😎

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Chinese Gate_Luisenpark.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

42 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I'll bet it is a beautiful sight when all decked out for Christmas. Do you have a favorite photo of the Emmeram Christmas market to share?

Sure!  It is prettier at night with all the lights and it is huge.  It fills the courtyard and one side of the palace grounds.  

DSC04264.JPG

Edited by QueenofEverything

9 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

gluwein 

Ahhhh .... gluhwein .... now I am really missing travel! Note to self - must figure-out how to post using umlaut.

edited: aha ... success!

ü  ... glühwein

Edited by dogs4fun

3 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

People might want to consider renaming photos before posting if they have given them meaningful names. In Forums at least the file name shows up

Uh oh ... guess you know the name of my photo. 😏  Thanks for the tip.

2 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Ahhhh .... gluhwein .... now I am really missing travel! Note to self - must figure-out how to post using umlaut.

It is painful, isn't? All those love places we cannot see. For the Umlauts just type into Google ASCII Umlaut and u if you want the ü in glühwein. Should give you the options. My smartphone has all those strange letters in the keyboard. I just press the key longer and swipe over the options. Also works with the ß which is under s, for such yummy words like Klöße. 😃 Hah, got myself back on track of happy thoughts with that.

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well, the name of your photo was FLAM2 which sent me on a wild goose chase reliving my Norway cruise [despite the absence of navigable rivers...]

Norway - Flam, funny! Yeah, that one was Franz Liszt Academy of Music #2, so FLAM2. However, my latest photo is a dead giveaway. 😞

So ... c'mon folks. I'm waiting - lets get this over with.

Edited by dogs4fun

2 minutes ago, Daisi said:

dogs4Fun...Nekar River, Luisenpark.  Chinese Gate.

Sorry, I cheated, thanks to gnome, but everyone keeps jumping in, and I have one that may stump people.... 🙂

Right you are. Awaiting your stumper. I had imagined mine would be a stumper with all manner of Chinese guesses. DUH!!

Edited by dogs4fun

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Ok, hope this works.  This is something that is right up along the river, which we thought was funny when we saw it.

DSC02369.JPG

13 hours ago, franski said:

Before we hiked up there, we were told it would be a gentle 15 min walk - "a stroll" - up to the ruins...  Good think I had on my hiking shoes - and could stop along the way to catch my breath!!  Haven't really trusted a cruise director's time/activity level guidance since then.

Fran 

We took the "sidewalk" on the way up, and went the "rugged" route on the way down. Two totally different experiences!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Ok, hope this works.  This is something that is right up along the river, which we thought was funny when we saw it.

I have absolutely no idea - maybe an auto salvage yard or recycling center along the river? I will never guess this one as it is not something I would normally remember. Looks like things I see along the freeway. 🙂

Attempted to use the cheat method as pointed out by gnome12 but, alas, no luck - rats!  What are those men in the photo doing? 

Edited by dogs4fun

8 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Not a salvage or recycling centre.... 🙂

Well, the only clue that I see is the name of the German recycling company, Remondis. I will await others' guesses and/or more hints. 

Edited by dogs4fun