The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

41 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

My friend (born in the Ukraine) told me that Kiev was the Russian name & Kyiv is the Ukrainian name - sorry (I always default to Mussorgsky's spelling from "great gate of Kiev" as that is where I first saw and continue to see the name ... on sheet music). Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

And when my grandparents came from there it was called Lemberg – by the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  That part of the world has always been the prize for the strongest neighbor.

Okay - since nobody has stepped up, I will post a photo with newly removed info.  This is a site that I have visited several times - it is a very popular optional tour offered on river cruises. This city is not actually on the river - rather, it is located a little over an hour from where we docked on our cruise.

Not a difficult photo to identify - especially if you are into classical music.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

1493558301_234-Copy.jpg.1bfbcd1c7ba12d3923bb8a7eaf3290bb.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And when my grandparents came from there it was called Lemberg – by the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  That part of the world has always been the prize for the strongest neighbor.

Just wondering if you might be confusing Lviv (Lemberg) with Kyiv (Kiev)? AFAIK, Kyiv was never ruled by the Austro-Hungarian Empire but I believe that Lviv was.

2 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Just wondering if you might be confusing Lviv (Lemberg) with Kyiv (Kiev)? AFAIK, Kyiv was never ruled by the Austro-Hungarian Empire but I believe that Lviv was.

Yes, you are right.  When my grandparents left it was Lemberg.  When I was growing up it was Lvov.  Now it's Lviv.  My kids don't know if they're Austrian, Polish or Ukrainian...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

You are correct, Lemberg is now Lviv. That is where Chris's parents were both from. They left when they were children, in the 1940s. Her Mom was born in Lviv proper; her Dad in the countryside nearby. They met in New York.

My Ukrainian ties go back much longer ago. My "relative" left Kyiv around 1050. 😉  I did a blog on our Ukraine trip which should be accessible from the link in my signature. The Home Page has more details about that.

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

You are correct, Lemberg is now Lviv. That is where Chris's parents were both from. They left when they were children, in the 1940s. Her Mom was born in Lviv proper; her Dad in the countryside nearby. They met in New York.

My Ukrainian ties go back much longer ago. My "relative" left Kyiv around 1050. 😉  I did a blog on our Ukraine trip which should be accessible from the link in my signature. The Home Page has more details about that.

We should get together for Kielbasa sometime!

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Salzburg Cathedral.

If you back up a bit, the crown floats over Mary's head.

Yep - I am so boring - always music.  Mozart was baptized in the cathedral, was the organist as a teen & wrote a great deal of church music here.

You're up again.

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

We should get together for Kielbasa sometime!

Meet us in Lviv. Chris is fluent and it's a gorgeous city with lots of cheap delicious food and fun stuff to do on your own. And there is a "wine bar" with 250 ml pours for just under a dollar, with the exchange rate...

Guess we could settle for the Ukrainian restaurant in NY though - have you been to Veselka?

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Meet us in Lviv. Chris is fluent and it's a gorgeous city with lots of cheap delicious food and fun stuff to do on your own. And there is a "wine bar" with 250 ml pours for just under a dollar, with the exchange rate...

Guess we could settle for the Ukrainian restaurant in NY though - have you been to Veselka?

No, but I had cousins who lived in that neighborhood.  My grandfather was a shoemaker and nobody in the immigrant communities could afford handmade shoes so he got out of there as fast as possible.  He ended up on Long Island near a Catholic church and not near any Orthodox churches, so the family story is that was when we stopped being Ukrainian and became Polish [because, you know, Ukrainians are Orthodox and Poles are Catholic].  My father spoke almost no Polish/Ukrainian and my generation was completely Americanized – so kielbasa is the only word I know!

• Haha 1

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

I doubt this one is any more difficult, but as your one and only hint, it's not in Europe!

DSC_4895.thumb.JPG.72fd6a367dce51975a8386d0dff61a09.JPG

28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Technically the Hooghly, a distributary of the Ganges. Yes! 

Oh, good. The empire! An interest in British history has really helped me here. :classic_biggrin:

Which makes it my turn. I need to leave you with this overnight.

Please name the river and where this view was taken from, town and or structure:

1949902481_25102005041.thumb.jpg.fd8f36d84975d6a138edfa5d7e7c4547.jpg

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
quote changed

Yes, exactly. I guess you have enjoyed the same view! I was going to give a hint "look at the orange structure sticking out of the forest". Which is Schloss Stolzenfels.

It was a classic tourist outing. I was up there as part of a group of people doing a river trip. We went past the Loreley rock listening to the German commentary. When the English commentary ran all the Japanese tourists rushed to one side of the ship to take photos.

It was a fun day, although a bit rainy.

Over to you.

notamermaid

21 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

BTW - I have been reading your blog & checking-out your incredible photos on SmugMug. You have really been around - South Africa looks interesting & I have long wanted to visit Easter Island. 

Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed them. We used to travel a lot... This pandemic has really put a damper on that, and we are having a tough time dealing with it. Work just isn't the same without nice vacations to look forward to. But at least we have a lot of older trips to reminisce about.

South Africa is great; went there once in 2011 and the 2016 trip was a revisit, to rest up after 2 weeks roughing it in Madagascar. I still have to complete the last 3 posts on that blog, though. I originally put that blog on an old site called TravelPod but the site closed down, and I'm on the (long, frequently interrupted) process of moving those blogs over to Blogger.

I'll guess the Mekong for your picture? But I really have no good idea.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:55 PM, QueenofEverything said:

We took a wonderful Danube Christmas Markets cruise and Passau was one of my favorite places.  The market was naturally smaller, but the people were so so friendly and welcoming.  They really shared the Christmas Joy!  Plus, you have the added delight of Simon's and their delicious gingerbread and chocolates! 

Kept meaning to ask you what Simon's is. But I have found it. The chocolate looks delicious and they have an online shop. My evening will be a good one! 😀 

https://www.simon-passau.de/

notamermaid

• Like 1

dogs4fun,

Bartok concert in Budapest, that is very fitting. My previous job had me "operating in the realm" of classical music, so I also had a work contact in Budapest. It was nice to see the area of their premises after many years. I could not quite acquire a taste for Bartok... I lean more towards the old stuff - the Germans/Austrians and Baroque.

As regards the photo: I thought of the Danube Delta, so no idea of a bridge name.

notamermaid

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Koh Pen Bridge in Cambodia? 

Ding Ding!! That's it! 😁 

We were told it is the longest bamboo bridge in the world (one km span). Has to be rebuilt each year. The island on the other side, Koh Pen, is very scenic but the poverty we witnessed in Kompong Cham was quite distressing to me. We saw some beautiful areas but it was not my favorite cruise, to be sure.

A short video clip can be found here:

https://twofortheroad.com/episode-extra-an-amazing-bamboo-bridge-across-the-mekong-river/

You're up.

Edited by dogs4fun