The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So not Nike holding laurel wreaths with wires to keep the pigeons out...

No, Nike took her golden sandals off and put on sports shoes... If it is Euterpe she must have done some work outs as well, with those muscles. Not sure about the lyre either. Sure looks like pigeon wire, you are right. But perhaps it is just an allegory, after all this looks like just one half of the big front portal - wonder what the figure is on the other side. Looking forward to seeing this edifice in full glory. Still no clue other than musical venue.

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

No, Nike took her golden sandals off and put on sports shoes... If it is Euterpe she must have done some work outs as well, with those muscles. Not sure about the lyre either. Sure looks like pigeon wire, you are right. But perhaps it is just an allegory, after all this looks like just one half of the big front portal - wonder what the figure is on the other side. Looking forward to seeing this edifice in full glory. Still no clue other than musical venue.

notamermaid

This must have been the Euterpe who inspired John Philip Sousa, not Mozart...

Hmm, yeah, seems Terpsichore prefers the lyre. But she tends to dance with it. The figure looks rather stiff to me. Definitely more like representing victory with laurel wreath, but no wings. This figure is having me really confused. And the decoration looks French opera house 1890 style, the lady a little younger. Nope, cannot even place it in a country.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

But perhaps it is just an allegory, after all this looks like just one half of the big front portal - wonder what the figure is on the other side. 

It is one half of the front portal - the figure on the other side is exactly the same.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

And the decoration looks French opera house 1890 style, the lady a little younger.

notamermaid

1890 - now you are getting hot. What architectural/decorative style flourished in the 1890’s? This edifice, both inside and outside, is a magnificent example of this style

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This must have been the Euterpe who inspired John Philip Sousa, not Mozart...

Not Sousa or Mozart but another composer with whom I know you are familiar.

Edited by dogs4fun

So none of the hints have helped me (except to while away the afternoon down a series of rabbit holes...) so in the spirit of sharing I will say what I got from the hints:  Art Deco and associated with Liszt, which probably means Hungary.

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So none of the hints have helped me (except to while away the afternoon down a series of rabbit holes...) so in the spirit of sharing I will say what I got from the hints:  Art Deco and associated with Liszt, which probably means Hungary.

Aha - see? You are spot on with Liszt & Hungary. The style is Art Nouveau.

So, with that in mind, what is the venue? I am sure that you know!!

9 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Danube, the Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest

Bingo! Your turn.

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Arrgh!  I just found it – 4 minutes too late...

I attended a. Bartok concert here last year. You can actually tour the academy - the interior is stunning.

Edited by dogs4fun

29 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Danube, the Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest

Nicely done!

@dogs4fun, that was a devilishly hard photo. It's a super close-up of the upper story of the facade! I was looking all over Budapest but could not find it (and I had a hard time finding it even after the correct ID was posted).

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Nicely done!

@dogs4fun, that was a devilishly hard photo. It's a super close-up of the upper story of the facade! I was looking all over Budapest but could not find it (and I had a hard time finding it even after the correct ID was posted).

Yes,  but I give good hints.🙂 Jazzbeau had just posted about Liszt prior to my posting the photo & I knew she’d figure it out.

I wanted a photo that didn't have a million copies floating around online. Most of my interior shots would’ve been far too easy for the experts on this thread.

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes,  but I give good hints.🙂 Jazzbeau had just posted about Liszt prior to my posting the photo & I knew she’d figure it out.

I wanted a photo that didn't have a million copies floating around online. Most of my interior shots would’ve been far too easy for the experts on this thread.

Absolutely! My comments were meant as a compliment, just in case that wasn't clear.

7 hours ago, acwmom said:

You got it! One of two King Richard-associated castles I have hiked.

Robin

Before we hiked up there, we were told it would be a gentle 15 min walk - "a stroll" - up to the ruins...  Good think I had on my hiking shoes - and could stop along the way to catch my breath!!  Haven't really trusted a cruise director's time/activity level guidance since then.

Fran 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Jazzbeau = He.  She (DW) = Jazzbelle.

I was in Budapest in 1967 on my Junior Year (6 months) Abroad.  Do not remember seeing this.  Definitely did not attend a concert there.  But I spent all my time this afternoon on Google, instead of dragging out my ancient color slides to see if anything is still visible to the human eye ['which is what I'm equipped with' – Beyond the Fringe]

@QueenofEverything I haven't turned in [was clearing half the basement for a new water heater tomorrow am], but I am glad you took your turn as I don't have another one in mind at this time.

Another tricky one ...

Is it Emmeram Palace/Regensburg/Danube? If I recall, there is also an abbey?

I find the use of the crown interesting - think I first saw an example of that years ago on Stockholm's Royal Palace.

Time to collect my little doggies & call it a day. Will check-in tomorrow.

6 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

Well, I think Jazzbeau may have turned in, so I'll post.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

DSC04261.JPG

Is it the Danube, Melk Abbey in Melk?

It looks a little younger in style but I am giving it a shot.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info