The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Wrong river.

Behind you can see part of a very large building.  It dates back to the 1930"s, but the company is much older than that.  The cornerstone was laid by the company founder, who isn't from the country where this is.

Not the Moselle.

The roots for the company go all the way back to 1903, and is a world wide company.  There is a good clue in the actual picture, but if I said what it was, it would be giving it away.

Edited by Daisi

Yes, the Ford plant in Colonge.  We thought it was funny seeing what looked like new Ford's in the dumpster!  We belong to an antique & classic car club, and there is a running joke that Ford is the only vehicle you can walk into a flea market looking for parts and come out with a whole car!  Of course, there is the old joke about what Ford stands for as well.  Here is the full size photo, before I zoomed in on the truck. 

You're up dogs4fun!

DSC02370.JPG

Well done, dogs4fun. So I was right about the harbour in Germany. Ford is in Köln Niehl, an industrial site and harbour area North of Cologne. That is also the district where the river cruise ships are in winter. A heritage site has an entry on the Ford works as they are considered industrial heritage. For the real industry fans :classic_smile: the page in German: https://www.kuladig.de/Objektansicht/KLD-281109

The address is Henry-Ford-Strasse 1 and yes it is a building from around 1929. I thought it looked more 1950 to me, but there have been some alterations. A pity the "kuladig" is not available in English, they have some amazingly detailed descriptions of Rhineland heritage.

Great choice of photo, Daisi, I find, a factory after all those castles, etc.

notamermaid

Time for a really difficult one. Prior to our cruise, we spent a week in Bavaria and visited this castle. I am sure no one will be able to identify it. 😉

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

123.thumb.jpg.593b6ca82219998348a8b75ae6ddfd94.jpg

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Are you over the Pöllat River perchance?

Indeed, how did you guess? 😂

On our most recent visit, Mary's bridge was under renovation so decent photos were not an option (regardless - my photographic skills are less than stellar). 

BTW - I have been reading your blog & checking-out your incredible photos on SmugMug. You have really been around - South Africa looks interesting & I have long wanted to visit Easter Island. 

So - you're "on" - share one of your "secret" photos.

25 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Lol..saw that on a program the other night!  It's Neuschwanstein Castle. Near Füssen.

I first saw Neuschwanstein on a travel poster when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I was quite upset that my mom wouldn't take me there, pronto, to meet the prince & Cinderella. It's an iconic German image & I've actually met a few people who weren't aware that the castle actually exists (too baked on Disney, I suppose). 🤥

• Like 1

The Pöllat river isn't actually navigable, I think? Never mind, that was a nice change from all that brain work, easy guessing. :classic_smile:No problem. Enjoyed Neuschwanstein and the area, quite a few years ago.

Edit: yes, dogs4fun, where would Disney be without Cinderella and Neuschwanstein? Oddly, now every time I see Neuschwanstein I think of jigsaw puzzle Sunday afternoons with my family. It is so iconic, also did Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna.

Let us see: I think we have not officially left Europe yet with the photos... But, again, any river or canal navigable with a river cruise ship counts. From the Kiel Canal to the Mekong...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The Pöllat river isn't actually navigable, I think?

Correct - there is no navigable river. Neuschwanstein castle tours are often offered as an option on Viking Danube cruises so I am within the game's rules, I think.  If not allowed, let me know & I will mend my ways. 😁 Don't want the game to go "off the rails".

5 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Let us see: I think we have not officially left Europe yet with the photos... But, again, any river or canal navigable with a river cruise ship counts. From the Kiel Canal to the Mekong...

I will have to dig out my photos of Egypt, Vietnam, Cambodia, & China. Actually, the history, culture, architecture (and, of course, music) of western civilization is the most interesting to me (especially classical Roman/Greek). Thus, most of my visits and photos are of Europe (or areas that the Romans once ruled, which covers a lot of territory) - I just keep going back because there is always more to see and do.

I think we can leave places in that are iconic and typical excursions. I have just realized we had Brühl and the palace which technically is not on the Rhine, but is a typical excursion close to the river. It is not always so easy to remember how close something is to the river you have visited. Perhaps not "stray" too much, i.e. Neuschwanstein would be the furthest, Munich would be too remote, so would be Lucerne.

Looking forward to seeing what the great explorers JP and Chris challenge us with.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar

56 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I first saw Neuschwanstein on a travel poster when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I was quite upset that my mom wouldn't take me there, pronto, to meet the prince & Cinderella. It's an iconic German image & I've actually met a few people who weren't aware that the castle actually exists (too baked on Disney, I suppose). 🤥

IIRC, it was a program about "Mad King Ludwig" that we saw it.  I have been to Disney World, but as an adult (what else do you do when you go to Florida for the first time), but we went to Epcot, so didn't really see much of of the rest of it. 

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

OK. I'll go easy on you all.

This gorgeous building is set on a hill, overlooking a river where week-long river cruises are offered. Not too esoteric IMO.

CCpic.thumb.jpg.85797578ea30888f48e805502d307bcd.jpg

The hill is named after an Apostle, who legend has it, erected a cross upon it back in the day.

Edited by jpalbny

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

OK. I'll go easy on you all.

This gorgeous building is set on a hill, overlooking a river where week-long river cruises are offered. Not too esoteric IMO.

The hill is named after an Apostle, who legend has it, erected a cross upon it back in the day.

Oh, now you are speaking to me!! You are in Kiev - St. Andrew's Church/Dnieper. I find the architecture of the Russian Orthodox churches simply stunning (and, bonus, many are blue - my favorite color).

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Yes! What a gorgeous place. Too bad it was being renovated when we were there last year and we couldn't go inside. Have you been inside? 

Except I have to take 1/4 point off because we have to spell it Kyiv. Chris will get upset if I don't point that out...

Edited by jpalbny

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Have you been inside? 

Yes, but to be honest, I have visited so many Russian churches (I visit Russia almost every year) that I can't recall the interior other than the iconostasis (which was very ornate).

My SIL and I visited a beautiful wooden Russian church in a small village about 45 minutes from St. Petersburg. We were not aware that women had to wear long skirts in this particular church - luckily, we were allowed to borrow a few from the deaconess (who didn't speak a lick of English - fortunately for us, our looks of utter confusion and crude attempts at sign language sufficed).

Is Chris of Ukrainian descent? My friend (born in the Ukraine) told me that Kiev was the Russian name & Kyiv is the Ukrainian name - sorry (I always default to Mussorgsky's spelling from "great gate of Kiev" as that is where I first saw and continue to see the name ... on sheet music). Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Well, I am out of photos at the moment - I will happily cede my turn to someone who has a photo that fits the rules for river cruises. Anyone????

Edited by dogs4fun