The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Well, I checked back in after dinner and found new photos already posted by Mitina. Again, very interesting subject - the second one is particularly nice (did you go inside - I think there is a mirror, no?).

I have seen this book sculpture but won't say where just now. As I recall, the tower reached all the way to the ceiling. Can't remember the name of the man who created it but it is a very unique sculpture - perfect for the library which houses it.

Time for a bottle of wine with friends, socially distanced & outdoors of course. 😉

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

The Idiom book tower by Matej Kren in the Prague Municipal Library.  I guess the river would be the Danube

If it is Prague, the "jumping off point" could be for the Danube or the Elbe...  Prague is actually, I believe, on the Vltava River. 

If it is in Prague, this would be something I would like to see... if I get back there again.

Fran

Prague is indeed on the Vltava river as regards the proper river. You are right Fran.

As regards the game: for the prize I would put the emphasis on the object. I would accept either Danube or Elbe.

If correct that it is Prague, although far away from either river, it is of course a valid quiz photo as Prague is so well known and the river is also sailed right into the city by CroisiEurope (and German companies).

Eager to find out if it is the library. I love books, libraries and that sculpture is great.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

It is the Municipal Library of Prague - Main building

A stop along the way during an excellent Prague food tour last year. Free admission right inside the entrance, it's a permanent display.  The second picture is what you see when you peer inside.  An optical illusion created through the use of mirrors. It was worth the 5 minute stop.  Here are more photos.

Ritabob guessed Prague and QueenofEverything got the building.  Franski is correct about the Vltava River that some cruise lines still navigate to Prague. Our cruise was Viking's  Elegant Elbe. It's great seeing multiple hints, guesses and questions.  Maybe give the prize to Ritabob for a change of pace?

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7520.JPG

Edited by Mitina

jpalbny, I was just about to call Ritabob in the same way. I am not sure where she lives, she might be still before breakfast time. If so, she will have a nice surprise over rolls or bacon and egg. :classic_smile:

That tower in Prague is really great. Thanks for the additional photos, Mitina.

notamermaid

No need to apologize. And this photo would have been worth waiting for for hours. :classic_biggrin:

Great job. This is somewhere in Europe or America. Ehhrr, I think. Still, this staircase looking suspended leads to a public space I think. There is a rubbish bin on the landing. And the mix of metal, concrete and glass looks early 2000's German. A wild guess: Folkwang Museum Essen on the Rhine.

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Not a clue. Is it a museum?

We have the same feeling about this place I see. Art museum - or private dental practice. But then, I have not heard of a dental practice designed by a famous architect.

notamermaid

Great picture! And super challenging. 

Glass staircase. Round windows emulating portholes. Steel railings. Vaguely Scandinavian vibe. Makes me think of a maritime museum built into an old warehouse on a wharf. But not on the Rhine.

Looks like something I'd find in Hamburg, but not really a river cruise destination. 

I remember some glass staircases in museums, etc but I can't quite place any on a river cruise. Except in Linz. Their Schlossmuseum had lots of glass and steel in its structure, and there were lots of other modern buildings there.