The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I hadn't exactly settled on a country, just the river. Not sure, but I say a smallish town in Austria on the Danube.

notamermaid

Not so small, I would say

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

So the building with the eyebrow windows is another church, right?

notamermaid

I don’t think so, and Mr Google doesn’t name the building. ( But it could be). Only want the town and where photo taken. There are a few that know, but they are not saying anything - just lurking.

I think I have got it. You are looking over Prague on the Vltava river from the tower with the astronomical clock.

Couldn't let it go with that church (I know, I have too much time on my hands, but the architecture intrigues me). The building with the eyebrow dormers is the disused church Saint Michael of the Servite Order monastery. The address is Michalska 662/29. You are right, Google maps does not give anything at that address. German Wikipedia and a Czech "protected buildings" site had the answer.

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hope that works I’ve tried to update wiki several times on my archive speciality and it was changed back by someone, it’s one of the reasons I take wiki with a pinch of salt. I just dislike someone trying to change history when there is no reason to.

I’m glad  you’ve worked out where the roof is, I got as fas as most probably a church and couldn’t get any further. Well done CA

• Like 2

Oh, I had not thought of that! The Wikipedia page is interesting, someone has spent quite some time, listing all the buildings with their names in that street, like Zur gelben Rose - (at) the yellow rose: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michalská_(Prag)

It links to: https://pamatkovykatalog.cz/klaster-servitu-15123556

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@notamermaid  - usually, I poke around until I find information on a given site as my curiosity gets the better of me.  I also found that the site was formerly a church (looking down on the building, I thought I spotted an apse) but couldn't find the site's current use. I found that the site was used as a warehouse and also to host tourist performances in the former monastery's Baroque library (concerts were held here through 2019) - a photo shows the beautiful ceiling of the monastery's Baroque Library. Here is some of the info I found online:

https://english.radio.cz/cultural-institutions-launch-campaign-save-pragues-st-michaels-church-8081368

https://www.bellprague.cz/eng/concert/romantic-concert-by-candle-light-in-st-michael-monastery-the-best-of-classic-amp-opera-7541

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q28509207

I can't find anything on the building's current usage - it is possible that classical concerts will still be held here when the virus restrictions are listed. 

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I think I have got it. You are looking over Prague on the Vltava river from the tower with the astronomical clock.

Couldn't let it go with that church (I know, I have too much time on my hands, but the architecture intrigues me). The building with the eyebrow dormers is the disused church Saint Michael of the Servite Order monastery. The address is Michalska 662/29. You are right, Google maps does not give anything at that address. German Wikipedia and a Czech "protected buildings" site had the answer.

notamermaid

Yeah, I'm glad you finally found it. Good work on finding out what the building is/was.The view from the tower is good, other side looks over the square and down the street towards the river. I will attach a couple of extra photos from the tower. You can glimpse the Charles Bridge in one. As you can see we were there early December. Over to you.

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5721.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you. In December? That sounds lovely. I was in Prague in a Summer many years ago. I only vaguely remember the city, but was impressed by the statue of King Wenceslas.

Will be back with a photo later.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I can't find anything on the building's current usage - it is possible that classical concerts will still be held here when the virus restrictions are listed. 

Thanks for all the info. I could not find anything in German either. It seems that much of it has been restored, it was quite rundown, and yes there are classical concerts mentioned. I know this is your field of interest, have you bookmarked for a future trip?

notamermaid

Right, here is the photo. Name the river and town, it is right in a river docking town, not an excursion. Perhaps you can tell me what it is exactly, but that is not necessary:

1331154554_Urlaub013.thumb.JPG.f413a2634f224da59b67665eb72982ee.JPG

It has been a long day, so I say goodnight.

notamermaid

@Renmar, a natural monument indeed. What narrows it down is the fact that it is German language but not in Germany, which @AnhaltER1960 got right: Austria, the Danube.

A bit difficult for people who have not cruised the Danube probably. I will wait till our friends in North America wake up and then provide a clue.

By the way, it is not the botanical family of trees.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

That could be a very old grape vine; if so, is it somewhere in the Wachau?

Very good. Old grape vine, yes. Wachau Valley not sure if geographically perfectly accurate as regards the UNESCO world heritage site, but basically yes.

Edit: I think I do not need to give another clue just yet.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added sentence