The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

That’s a statue of Romulus and Remus, the brothers who (supposedly) founded Rome, and the she wolf that suckled them.  I did have to look up why there was a statue in Siena and discovered that Siena was founded, according to legend, by Remus’ son.  Romulus had killed Remus and Remus’ sons fled Rome.

• Like 1

Interesting how changing the animal but not the idea of suckling milk completely transforms the meaning of the nurturing highly beneficial into something with not so nice intend.

Now, after all the talking and comparing we have not had the answer. Should be easy now, the town is in Germany.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I'll give it a go just to get things moving.

The photo depicts the Judensau on the facade of Pfarrkirche St. Marien (famous church where Martin Luther preached) in Wittenberg, Elbe River.

If correct, I declare a wild card.

Absolutely, yes, that is correct.

Later I will write a bit more about that object.

58 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Is the person in the booth having a wee?

Or changing into tights and a cape?  Or getting ready to fly to a different planet and century?  [Anything but use a pay phone - what are those???]

ljandgb well done Porto and Douro correct. Until we were there we didn’t realise that the Portuguese had a liking for U.K. telephone boxes and letter boxes. I didn’t notice the guy but if you enlarge the photo it’s a man striding by not having a wee, pity could have been interesting. Here any village town or group can now buy a telephone box fro £1, I’ve seen museums, library’s and various other things. Bath (the city) has quite a few scattered around the shopping area full of plants and flowers very pretty. CA

I have kind of a funny story about the dairy Ann Frank wrote. We were on an ocean cruise talking to a lady from the USA who was explaining that she was a member of a book club and she told us about the diary and wanted to know if we had read it so we told her that we did read it in Dutch. She was very surprised that it was translated into Dutch as well.

Theo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I have kind of a funny story about the dairy Ann Frank wrote. We were on an ocean cruise talking to a lady from the USA who was explaining that she was a member of a book club and she told us about the diary and wanted to know if we had read it so we told her that we did read it in Dutch. She was very surprised that it was translated into Dutch as well.

Theo

You sort of have to wonder.....  Honestly - I am surprised it was part of an adult book club. For as long as I remember - this book has been practically mandatory reading for all middle schoolers. 

My nine year old grandson newly back at school, which he enjoys immensely is learning about the Shackleton exbidition, was face timing with his grandad and asked him if he took part and was it exciting. Grandad didn’t know if he should be proud that grandson thought he could do something so brave or concerned as what age he thought he was. Once in Durnstein I was asked if Richard the Lionheart was brother or cousin to Our Queen. How many times removed would that have been? CA 

9 hours ago, Coral said:

You sort of have to wonder.....  Honestly - I am surprised it was part of an adult book club. For as long as I remember - this book has been practically mandatory reading for all middle schoolers. 

Indeed. Here it is still widely read, more or less at the age that Anne Frank was when she wrote it. I think I was 13 when we read it at school.

Richard of Lionheart - oh my, very removed. 😉  The Medieval Royals became distant cousins when the succession moved to the House of Hanover I would say, if not before by professional standards. I know there are people who look into these family lines professionally so somebody may have a genealogy software that can provide such details.

notamermaid

Yes, the Ann Frank house in Amsterdam.  We did the tour with the lecture first, which I'm really glad we did.  The docent spoke about the political climate, who helped them, and yes, some about the architecture being important.  Initially, authorities did not realize there was a second building behind the first, which was actually a common architectural practice in Amsterdam's narrow lots.

Renmar, you're up.

14 hours ago, Coral said:

We were living in Belgium in the mid-90s and our kids attended an international school run by English nuns.  One of the joys of going to school in Europe was the wonderful field trips and sports competitions that our kids experienced.  In middle school not only did our daughter read Anne Frank, the class did a couple of days field trip to Amsterdam where they met with Miep Geis (who was in her mid-80s at the time) who hid Ann Frank and saved her diaries.  She had met with the middle school class for years due to some relationship (which I've forgotten) with the order of nuns.

Edited by capriccio

Good morning to you.

8 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Have to call a WILDCARD, too many errants to run today.

Theo

Thank you.

Here we are, another wildcard. And a happy shout out from me to readers of this thread who may have recently joined or just never thought to contribute. Where have you been on holiday? Show us your photo and have us guess where it is. Not on a river suitable for cruising? This is part of the rules of this game, but you may be surprised what fits. We still have not had a photo from the Loire, the Meuse as far as I can remember, not the Guadalquivir and the Po has been underrepresented as well. Not the Oder either. And Hamburg may be a cruise port but works for being on the Elbe (we have had a photo from Hamburg). Perhaps your cruise port works. Get those atlases out, people. :classic_biggrin:

For the detailed rules: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2762562-the-while-we-wait-for-river-cruises-photo-quiz/page/109/

notamermaid

• Like 1