The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Sorry, doubleposting. Please delete my post #3126.

To the actual pic. There was a hint " a river that joins two others " given, thus Passau is a valid bet. But I cannot place that castle into Passau. After all, we see a rainbow, so we look northward, maybe northeast or east (northwest, I the pic was taken early in the day). I am still in searching mode.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

on the mighty Danube, if it is correct. I was wondering if it is, but I really do not recognize the angle in the first photo. Is it a bridge over the Ilz? Would like to know which vantage point that photo was taken from.

notamermaid

I only guessed it from the 3 rivers comment. I remember when we were in Passau that was mentioned. (It was also pouring rain, so I really wasn't looking at anything. I was supposed to go for an organized bike ride, but that was scuttled by the rain.)

I was just looking for the port where we were docked, so gnome12 has it. We were indeed hiking up from Passau along the River Ilz but I don't know the name of the castle. The photo is of the little celebration at the end of the hike, which was the afternoon of Christmas Eve. DH was having fun with his sparkler and delicious gluhwein was helping warm us up.

So gnome12, it's yours. 

thumbnail-2.jpeg

24 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

So it is the Ilz in the first photo.

A lovely way to spend Christmas Eve. You spent Christmas in Passau on the ship? I am sure it was a great experience.

notamermaid

25 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

So it is the Ilz in the first photo.

A lovely way to spend Christmas Eve. You spent Christmas in Passau on the ship? I am sure it was a great experience.

notamermaid

It was wonderful. We spent Christmas Day in Salzburg and Oberndorf and New Years Eve in Budapest.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

To the actual pic. There was a hint " a river that joins two others " given, thus Passau is a valid bet. But I cannot place that castle into Passau. After all, we see a rainbow, so we look northward, maybe northeast or east (northwest, I the pic was taken early in the day). I am still in searching mode.

The tiny town is called Hals and the "castle" is Burgruine Hals. We did this hike in 2016. The town is less than 2km upstream from the confluence.

The vantage point is from near the Filialkirche St. Achatius. The bridge is (I think) Landdichterstraße. I don't have the exact same view in my pics but close enough to recognize where it was taken. That was a nice hike.

Another angle and close-up of the ruins. 

325297188_Danube2016_04-396.thumb.jpg.3cd62d36171c9d5ea612c946f327a140.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jklc123 said:

I was just looking for the port where we were docked, so gnome12 has it. We were indeed hiking up from Passau along the River Ilz but I don't know the name of the castle. The photo is of the little celebration at the end of the hike, which was the afternoon of Christmas Eve. DH was having fun with his sparkler and delicious gluhwein was helping warm us up.

So gnome12, it's yours. 

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Are sparklers common for Christmas Eve?

If the wild card is still open then I have a picture I took a few years back.

Just name the river(s) and what is the significance of this stretch of waterways. Small hint, looking for 5 names😁.

Theo

Untitled.jpg.1257ad1b43ce1262909c7e96f1379ad5.jpg

I think I included the Caledonian Canal, if not, that is an oversight as it is a body of water that works and there are official cruises on it, one ship is bigger than barges and the barge size ships have itineraries like on other canals, also being marketed as river cruises. It works - like the Kiel Canal if that was used as a main route on an itinerary.

So, good idea - I wonder if it is correct.

That five names comment intrigues me though, no idea what that could be.

notamermaid

Is it a major confluence? CA

Oh thanks about the Caledonian Canal we hired a cruiser on it a few years ago, had the best time ever, my friend cooking breakfast down in the bowls shouting to her husband (and mine) to stop hitting every wave, that’s Loch Ness when the weathers against you, or is it Nessie.

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Is it a major confluence?

Or even perhaps a delta?

4 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Think bodies of water.

Theo

Like a river and connecting canals?

Feel a bit lost in the world with this. It looks close to the sea, but which sea I have no idea. I try to narrow it down geographically. Europe?

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Like a river and connecting canals?

Yes, like river becomes canal-becomes river- becomes different rivers & canal. All within a stretch of about 25 KM.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

? Delta Works! CA

No, not Delta works. 

Theo

24 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Yes, like river becomes canal-becomes river- becomes different rivers & canal. All within a stretch of about 25 KM.

Fascinating, have never heard of this. Sounds like Meuse-Scheldt-somethingorother, or something Dutch. No idea otherwise.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Fascinating, have never heard of this. Sounds like Meuse-Scheldt-somethingorother, or something Dutch. No idea otherwise.

notamermaid

Yes, definitely something Dutch. I know it is somewhat of a stretch but I am running out of pictures of rivers 😉. One more hint; River flows by your home town.

Theo

13 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I’ll have to see if I can find my map of Dutch waterways I picked up on my tulip-time cruise 11 years ago. 

That should work. I think it is something to do with the Rhine and the Waal and some canals. Too tired to figure out the details tonight. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That should work. I think it is something to do with the Rhine and the Waal and some canals. Too tired to figure out the details tonight. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

You're getting close. I think we can wait until tomorrow, unless someone on this side of the pond chimes in with the correct answer.

Theo