The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

In between the Seine and the South of France there's another estuary formed by several rivers.  Are we looking at the Gironde estuary, formed by the Dordonne and Garonne rivers?

That might be more likely than the Thames estuary because of the sailboat with FRA in the sail. There is always the possibility that it is not even in Europe but somewhere else in the world.

By the way, probably a typo but it is Dordogne river.

Theo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wild card!

OK I will take the wildcard with an easy one for some of you. Please name the town and the 3 rivers this town can be reached from within the 2 hour time limit. As a bonus you can name the river you see in the picture as well.

Theo

0247.jpg.2bb0f6337cc604ccda8b6dbeb7f048ad.jpg

From the architecture and the landscape I would place this into the "Rheinisches Schiefergebirge" (Rhenish Shist Upland). So you can surely reach the Rhine and the Moselle. A possible third river depends on where exactly you are. But reading "Hotel Stern" helps, though there are hundreds of hotels with that name in Germany. But only one with their private bridge crossing the river ***. So we are in (name will be released at 1600 German time, if not answered before) in the beautiful ***** hills.

Oh, yes, this happily shouts "I am in the Rhenish Slate Mountains". And an almost iconic classic shot. It is perhaps an unusual place as regards the rules of this game, but I will not complain as this may be a stop for the English to the river cruise or an excursion for the Dutch from a river cruise even. I just may not know. It could well be and deserves to be. It may have escaped the attention of our US friends, so here is a bit of help. From the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle at Koblenz, direct your gaze on the map West-northwest.

All will be revealed this afternoon. ☺️ 

notamermaid

38 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Wild guess as I’ve only heard of it, is it Montreal? Don’t know the river. CA

just looked up River Elz.

I reckon Renmar is still asleep, so I take the liberty to answer for him. You are in the right direction, but it is not Monreal (small typo) on the Elz. I understand you suggesting that, it looks very similar. By the way, Monreal is one of my favourite villages that I can get to within a four hour drive, really endearing little place. If you could find another town further away from the Moselle in a West-Northwest direction...

Renmar is still within the 2 hour one way limit as regards the rules with this one, journey from the Rhine and Moselle are 80 to 100 minutes one way, depending on port, the third river is closer, 60 minutes one way.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, Renmar said:

Please name the town and the 3 rivers this town can be reached from within the 2 hour time limit.

If Monschau is correct, then we need the three rivers and wait for Renmar to have had breakfast. :classic_smile:

Two rivers have been named by AnhaltER1960.

notamermaid

Yes, just woke up and had breakfast. 

@AnhaltER1960is correct, it is Monschau on the Rur river and the rivers are Rhine-Moselle & Maas (Meuse). Never thought about the Saar which is also within limits.

I knew it was going to be an easy one especially for the people living in Germany.

Your turn.

Theo

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

Interesting - I thought that there was a campaign afoot to have the Judensau removed. Is it going to remain on the church?

It is staying. By court ruling. Hope the bots of google do not pick up the word... It's probably fine, a history word anyway, got to use it in learned discussions.

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Interesting - I thought that there was a campaign afoot to have the Judensau removed. Is it going to remain on the church?

So far that campaign did not get trough and lost the first two levels of jurisdiction. Two more to come.

As I recall, there was also one in Colmar - I think St. Martin's Church? Seen others as well but can't recall exactly where. We were told that they were quite popular back in the middle ages.

There was a fairly recent article in The Smithsonian Magazine regarding the one pictured above & efforts to have it removed.

Edited by dogs4fun

19 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

So far that campaign did not get trough and lost the first two levels of jurisdiction. Two more to come.

Oh, sorry, I read the courts had ruled in favour of it staying. Did not know it was going further up the level of jurisdiction still.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, Renmar said:

it is Monschau on the Rur river and the rivers are Rhine-Moselle & Maas (Meuse). Never thought about the Saar which is also within limits.

This would be a nice one for an excursion from the Meuse. Especially as the mouth of the Rur is at Roermond where it joins the Meuse (hence the name Roer Mond). The landscape is certainly great.

A little far from the Rhine to warrant the drive, still nice from the Moselle, but there is so much see along the river I doubt a cruise line would include it.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Here is an article from the Times of Israel about this sculpture and the issue generally.  It seems that a consensus has developed to keep these in place as that is the only way to explain the historical context:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/bavaria-to-leave-medieval-anti-semitic-jew-pig-sculptures-on-churches/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here is an article from the Times of Israel about this sculpture and the issue generally.  It seems that a consensus has developed to keep these in place as that is the only way to explain the historical context:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/bavaria-to-leave-medieval-anti-semitic-jew-pig-sculptures-on-churches/

Indeed, looks like a great majority. No consensus though, as the article ends " He has taken the case to a federal court." That is the next level on the agenda. European court would be level 4.