The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

5000! plus one

And 200 pages - plus one. While I am here...

((Silence while I try to keep composure and collect myself for the big announcement)) Yes, I think it is time. And I do not find it easy. One person is confirmed on the river Po and one other has booked and is presumably now happily in Paris either on land or on their ship on the Seine.

The person to find the answer where @Canal archive's place is, river and country, has the opportunity to receive the grand prize at the end: the last photo. I would like to make it a bit special. Please, if you can, post us a photo of a river from anywhere you want not just a river cruising river if you have not got that, anything that will fit a nice boat on it, something special like fireworks would be great. Or the grand view over that special place down the road. And to break the thread, tell us where it is. If I could without giving my location away I would try very hard to find the answer to the photo. But I will stand at the back, with a heavy heart but happy anticipation of better times than are now within our reach.

It has been a fantastic journey, thank you all for contributing. Words fail me. Oh dear. ((Deep breath)).

@Canal archive please get ready for the last handover ceremony and the finale...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 2

I think this is in France with horn players from the city of ------------- while on a cruise on the --------- river.

Because I don't have any suitable pictures I will not fill in the blanks but if I'm right my DW and I will celebrate the end of this tread with a glass of Champagne.

Theo

I too want to say thank you to @notamermaid for the game. I have been absent for a while now - haven't recognised any photos of late , and have been away "travelling here this year" as we have been advised. We went to "The Tip" of Cape York - saw a few mighty rivers, crocodiles and all. Not sure when we will be able to leave the country - sounds like sometime next year maybe. 

Hopefully, we will be able to do our Murray River cruise later this year.

Travel Safe, everyone.

Vada_9

• Like 1

Still no answer on the last picture posted. I was sure that @jpalbnywould have the right answer and then surprise us with a great last picture from their marvelous collection to close this off.

I understand that with the river situation in Europe (especially Germany & Belgium) most of us are more interested in that than solving a picture location so we just wait a bit longer.

It would be a shame if this tread would die without a last blast.

Theo

@vada_9 Thank you. Good to hear from you again. And there is still that last prize to grab. If you feel like taking a guess at Canal archive's photo... Would love to see a photo of the Murray River with description as an exotic end to our game.

@Renmar Thanks, Theo.

Other things are weighing heavily on my mind, but I am still waiting patiently in the background for the final answer. I really do not know where it is.

notamermaid

Maybe a little assistance there are several European countries, who have groups like these reprobates they are the vestiges of an activity that is no longer allowed in the U.K. Look at the horns they are not ‘French’ horns but are they in France? They were really loud.

OK. I had been convinced ever since I saw this picture, that these guys were dressed in equestrian outfits.

So they are FOX HUNTERS, right? The horns, I recognized were definitely not French Horns but now that I googled "Fox Hunting Horns" that looks like what they are holding.

Now to find out where they are.

OK. According to Google, fox hunting (nonlethal) is fairly popular in France but also occurs in Italy, Portugal, and Ireland to name a few. Apparently in France it's more of a social ride through the woods or countryside to watch animals, rather than a hunt. And they are more interested in other animals besides foxes.

Normandy seems like the type of rural area where this could be popular. But I'm thinking the Camargue would be an ideal place to do such an activity so I'll guess the Rhone. I know that you've posted from that region before and you've visited there in more depth.

Interesting. Fox hunting is still done in Germany, that means the tradition is there, the real fox for prey was abolished with a law in 1953. Since then it is an "artificial scent" that the dogs follow. Yes, I had to look up the details. Did not know that.

So this is a demonstration of that tradition, i.e. just the blowing of the horns like they do at the end as a ritual?

notamermaid

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

OK. According to Google, fox hunting (nonlethal) is fairly popular in France but also occurs in Italy, Portugal, and Ireland to name a few. Apparently in France it's more of a social ride through the woods or countryside to watch animals, rather than a hunt. And they are more interested in other animals besides foxes.

Normandy seems like the type of rural area where this could be popular. But I'm thinking the Camargue would be an ideal place to do such an activity so I'll guess the Rhone. I know that you've posted from that region before and you've visited there in more depth.

OK, let see who is closer. I think that your Normandy guess would be closer. I think it is way more north than Camargue or, as I kind of hinted, in the Champagne area. 

Theo

OK I will fill in the blanks of my earlier post but if I am correct I will call a wildcard.

I think this is in France with horn players from the city of Reims while on a River or Barge cruise on the Marne/Seine river.

Theo

Oh, exciting. I would certainly not have thought of such a connection. Could it be right?

We cannot really let a wild card stand so if this is correct as confirmed by Canal archive this would mean anyone can post a celebratory photo with explanation to take us from the finishing line to the buffet and drinks. 🥂 

notamermaid

30 minutes ago, Renmar said:

OK I will fill in the blanks of my earlier post but if I am correct I will call a wildcard.

I think this is in France with horn players from the city of Reims while on a River or Barge cruise on the Marne/Seine river.

Theo

It can’t be a barge cruise because the picture is on the sundeck of a river cruise ship. 

Agree, gnome12, which is why I didn't choose the Marne. And the Seine - well, that was my second guess after the Rhone but I got second thoughts about it from thinking about Renmar's clue that Normandy was only a bit closer than the Camargue. I do think that he is right, as I just Googled Reims Horn Players and found this photo:

627845497_ReimsHornPlayers.thumb.jpg.38ed717bcc5a5c836388b82b5fdbecae.jpg

Hang on, you never actually confirmed it is in France, did you? You just said where it not is. I mean, they could just have been invited onto the ship not be resident in the immediate area.

I am confused a bit.

notamermaid

Okay some of the suggestions where Normandy or the Camargue not there these groups are in various other countries like Belgium and Germany. I did ask the question are they in France? Well yes they are. They were invited onto the ship as part of the local culture which is usual with Scenic.

Well you had me fooled. The horn players sure looked liked the ones from Reims, France.

So my guess now is Portugal--Douro river mainly because of the clue about looking at a port not starboard. And the wine ofcourse.

Theo