The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

37 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

OK, I know what this relief depicts and where it is located - I have been waiting patiently for someone to identify it but it appears everyone is away for the weekend.

So ... Nicholas-I.thumb.jpg.95cd288052985b28dc34a561586c24dd.jpg

This relief can be found in St. Petersburg, St. Isaac Square. It is a monument to Tsar Nicholas I where Nicholas I is depicted quelling a cholera riot.

1264578586_NicholasIdetail.thumb.jpg.9412b131b47078a7682bc883b7b8c9d4.jpg

You are absolutely correct. We went to St. Petersburg on an ocean cruise. 

This monument has several different reliefs like the one in this picture.

157652410_X(29).thumb.JPG.b47da9bd59b59d8802c823e21b96738f.JPG

I probably wasn't listening to the guide when he explained what all those reliefs meant. Next time I should pay more attention instead of walking around and taking (too many) pictures.

@dogs4fun you're up for the next one. 

Theo

Edited by Renmar
Oh no, I forgot to sign my name.

48 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Hopefully I will get to Russia before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Oh yes, I do hope you go - I think you will find it very interesting. It seems that all of European royalty can be traced back to Victoria & Albert. 🙂 Tsar Nicholas II & King George V were 1st cousins (as I'm sure you know). In side-by-side photos of Nicholas II and George V, I can't tell who is who if they are not in military garb - they almost look like twins. Furthermore, as you are 'into' boats & ships, it was Peter the Great who was interested in ships & learned to build them himself (he actually lived in Zaandam whilst studying Dutch shipbuilding methods).

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/czar-peter-house

Okay, enough with the useless trivia.

How about posting that photo from awhile ago CA? We never had an opportunity to identify it. So - I turn it over to you.

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

OK, I know what this relief depicts and where it is located - I have been waiting patiently for someone to identify it but it appears everyone is away for the weekend.

So ... Nicholas-I.thumb.jpg.95cd288052985b28dc34a561586c24dd.jpg

This relief can be found in St. Petersburg, St. Isaac Square. It is a monument to Tsar Nicholas I where Nicholas I is depicted quelling a cholera riot.

1264578586_NicholasIdetail.thumb.jpg.9412b131b47078a7682bc883b7b8c9d4.jpg

I am late to the party here but would not have gotten this one (with out onion domes).

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Okay here you go but I’m sure it’s quite well known.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b0d1fd318e963ff1247d4cd32884a8e.jpeg

If you watch it at night it looks different but it might give you a better idea of where this is located 😉.

Theo

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Now, from food to changing tires.

Lol. I wonder if Napoleon would have driven Renault or Citroen? I have no idea where Renmar might have taken this photo. It looks a bit like it is the return from Russia, but really no idea. The church in the background looks Romanesque, but it may be a Neo-classical thing anywhere in Europe.

notamermaid

image.png.0d95a96cd11baa2581e20a77b5715243.png

Nothing less for the Little Corporal. The question is which type/model.

12 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Correct Gnome12 it’s in the Buiterveldert area of Amsterdam a favourite area of his to sketch It’s very close to a windmill. 

Not trying to be a wise guy but I like to give a more exact location; 

It is in the "Amstelpark" in "Buitenveldert Oost (East). This park is located along the Amstel river after which Amsterdam is named, a dam in the Amstel .

I like to take the wildcard but I am running out of options.

Theo

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

The hint of the Night Watch lends to believe that it is in the Netherlands. I think that it is a statue of Rembrandt in Amsterdam.

Well done. I really did not get the hint with the painting.

Thank you for the wild card. I am contemplating taking it myself. Perhaps some more food :classic_biggrin:. But I would be happy to be beaten to it by someone else's photo.

For those reading in the background: remember you can join anytime with a photo of a river (cruise) location from a river cruise or land trip.

Edit: thanks Theo. I am also struggling a bit with photos. People, do not let this be the end, we are still not back on the waters. Who will help us (I have quite seriously only three photos left in my repertoire)?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
see edit

19 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Well done. I really did not get the hint with the painting.

Thank you for the wild card. I am contemplating taking it myself. Perhaps some more food :classic_biggrin:. But I would be happy to be beaten to it by someone else's photo.

For those reading in the background: remember you can join anytime with a photo of a river (cruise) location from a river cruise or land trip.

Edit: thanks Theo. I am also struggling a bit with photos. People, do not let this be the end, we are still not back on the waters. Who will help us (I have quite seriously only three photos left in my repertoire)?

notamermaid

It is not that I have not enough pictures. My DW asked me a while back if I really needed to save all 35000- + pictures on my laptop 🙄, of course I do ☺️. The problem is that most of them do not comply with the rules but I'll keep on searching.

Theo

3 minutes ago, Renmar said:

It is not that I have not enough pictures. My DW asked me a while back if I really needed to save all 35000- + pictures on my laptop 🙄, of course I do ☺️. The problem is that most of them do not comply with the rules but I'll keep on searching.

Theo

Ah yes, that is the tricky bit. I never knew that 35,000 photos can fit on a laptop! Seriously, I am baffled by how much storage capacity is on these things these days. I do not own one.

notamermaid

Ok, maybe an easy one, but just to keep this going.  Maybe this will help those lurking in the background to comment. 

Name the town & river.  First up gets to post the next pic.  Hope this comes out ok, it is a panorama shot.

DSC02871.JPG

Just a guess ... the boat in the photo looks like one of the Batorama tour boats in Strasbourg. Although I don't recognize any building in particular, they also fit with the general Strasbourg architecture.

Edited by dogs4fun

@dogs4fun, yes, it is Strasbourg.  I was hoping someone lurking would guess.  You are up.

@Canal archive, no fisheye, just shot in panorama mode.  I did like the way the boat seems to be bending to fit around the corner though.  If I recall correctly, I took it after our canal cruise, it could have been the boat we were on.

15 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I was hoping someone lurking would guess.

I wonder if there is anyone out there that is actually lurking. It would be nice to get some new blood but after many wild cards, we still seem to have no takers. Cruise Critic traffic seems to be quite low.  In addition to newbies, I would be quite pleased if someone who has not posted on this thread in a long while would again post. 

Wild Card

Edited by dogs4fun