The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I think we have had neither photo, so let us do photo #1. It looks like some place I have been to in Alsace but it is not that one. There is a reflection so the thing in the middle of the photo contains water. I think this is an old wash house, but I have no idea where.

notamermaid

The first picture of the wash house was not that difficult to find @dogs4fun & @notamermaid figured it out more or less. Now we are just waiting for the complete answer.

The second picture however has me stomped. It almost looks like it is in somebodies barn with the stuff that is showing in the background. It is also not an ancient sculpture because of the year 1957 in Roman numerical.

Theo

58 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

The second picture is in a German city. It’s to do with the completion of a restoration. The first is on the Garonne and I think you know exactly where. The water is as clear as a bell.

Could you please stick to one picture at a time. This is getting very confusing.

• Like 1

Thank you as I seem to have caused some confusion the picture at the top is a wash house in Grands Hommes Bordeaux on the Garonne.

The picture below is an homage to the stonemasons who completed the restoration work on Cologne Cathedral. 
Also although I do have many more photographs I feel this should be my last contribution I’ve enjoyed joining in but all good things come to an end.

9 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Grands Hommes Bordeaux on the Garonne.

Oh, pity. I was still looking and got close, slowed down by a computer update. It looks really nice. Wish I could go to Bordeaux some time.

I had no clue about the second photo.

10 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Also although I do have many more photographs I feel this should be my last contribution I’ve enjoyed joining in but all good things come to an end.

Perhaps a good night's sleep and we will find a new photo from you. Or perhaps a wild card.

Bedtime for me soon, oh my, already after midnight. 🌃

notamermaid

Since @Canal archivegave the answer to the last picture and assuming that it was the last picture posted by CA I like to take the freedom to post a picture just to keep things going. Also. it looks like that this tread will come to an end within the next few weeks because river cruises will start again.

I think we should at least keep this tread going until it reaches 200 pages or 5000 posts ☺️.

Here is the picture--where was this taken and which river is close to it.

Theo

375646085_Recovered_JPEGDigitalCamera_4310(2).thumb.jpg.4a775bd21d8ee1ca08e3e9e981287313.jpg

14 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you, Theo. 🙂

I like small alleyways, especially with stairs. Quick guess during breakfast before I am off to work: quite a way East of Germany?

notamermaid

I did crop the original picture just a little otherwise Mr. Google would give it away. No, it is not East of Germany rather more south.

Theo

17 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Hmm, South. Any helpers? I guess that unpleasant word on the wall to the right of the photo is the language of the country you are visiting in this photo?

notamermaid

I did not even notice until you pointed it out. I found the translation for the first word but could not find the second one. So, now that we figured out it is Italian that will narrow it down.

Theo

21 hours ago, Renmar said:

I did not even notice until you pointed it out. I found the translation for the first word but could not find the second one. So, now that we figured out it is Italian that will narrow it down.

Theo

Looks like Venice and the Po. Is the person approaching a bridge over a canal?

Robin

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

Looks like Venice and the Po. Is the person approaching a bridge over a canal?

Robin

Yes, it is one of the many back allies in Venice. We were there a few years back when there was heavy rain and very high water, it St. Marco square was under water but that apparently happens a lot. I can not remember if the steps were the approach to bridge.

Your turn to post.

Theo