The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

39 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Nice photo! Is it the Stiegl Brewery in Salzburg? Danube?

It is! Here is another pic, which would have given it away. We bought the Salzburg Pass and this was included. Along with three free beer samples😁 We ended up having dinner there, and it was fabulous.

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

That brown ball is a dumpling? Yep - I am definitely not a foodie. 🙄 But I love, love, love sweets. Hunting around for a photo - will post shortly.

I am not sure, but it would be a standard accompaniment to meat.

Thank you for the photo. No idea where that is, but the scales I am sure are significant and helpful for identifying it.

notamermaid

19 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I am surprised that @notamermaid has no idea where this is. That statue (and others at the same place) has a very interesting story. Some of that story is pretty "cheeky"☺️.

Theo

Okay, now I am intrigued. Let's see. It looks modern in the stone, but looks to be depicting old clothes and a trade. Not Justitia, of course. I wonder if it is a merchant. And is about money, as there seems to be a purse. The vice greed?

The stone around it is old. A cathedral? The colour could mean Cologne (cleaned up) but not sure. Could be French as well.

notamermaid

30 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It looks modern in the stone, but looks to be depicting old clothes and a trade. Not Justitia, of course. I wonder if it is a merchant. And is about money, as there seems to be a purse.

Yes, it is a merchant & the purse definitely denotes money/finance.

30 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The stone around it is old. A cathedral? The colour could mean Cologne (cleaned up) but not sure. Could be French as well.

Your observational skills constantly amaze me.

This is an historic building but parts were damaged in WWII and restored - hence, the old & the new. And, you are spot on - it is located in Cologne but it is not the cathedral.

I know that you are familiar with the building. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

Cologne. Hmm, it sounds as if it is a secular building. Then it is not a merchant representing a vice normally. Sounds like a real merchant person.

Despite me having been to Cologne about 15 times in my life I have not done a guided tour through town, just the main museums mainly at school (art and all that). I am not sure that I am that familiar with the building.

notamermaid

39 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Cologne. Hmm, it sounds as if it is a secular building. Then it is not a merchant representing a vice normally. Sounds like a real merchant person.

Despite me having been to Cologne about 15 times in my life I have not done a guided tour through town, just the main museums mainly at school (art and all that). I am not sure that I am that familiar with the building.

I suspect that you are familiar with this building but I could be wrong. Located in Cologne's historic Old Town, the building is famous for its Renaissance loggia.

I honestly think it would be hard to miss! 😉

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

It looks like we have almost come to the end of this game because "The-while-we-wait-for-river-cruises" will be over soon when river cruises start opening up (even for us on this side of the Atlantic).

I came in a bit late in the game, just by accident.

After many ocean going cruises my DW suggested we try a river cruise. Never having done a river cruise I started looking for what would be available. We thought we found a suitable river cruise but then that nasty pandemic hit. Not a big deal for now I thought because I can at least start planning for a river cruise for 2021 or 2022. That's when I thought I ask the river cruise expert on CC how to go about it. First tread that showed up was this one and the rest is history.

I had a blast with it, trying to figure out all the places and at the same time learned a lot about those places. I thank all of you for giving me such a nice pastime and I hope that we will meet some day on a river cruise.

I will keep following this tread and maybe ones in a while have the answer but I wont be posting any pictures (no more pictures from places even close to a river).

Theo

Only 10 more posts to go to make the 5000, Wow.

Edited by Renmar
  • Like 3

Technically, since 21 posts have been removed your post was already 5011 [as shown on my Host screen] – but I hate people who are just pedantic PITAs, so I added this post which gets your magic number down to 9!

12 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I suspect that you are familiar with this building but I could be wrong. Located in Cologne's historic Old Town, the building is famous for its Renaissance loggia.

I honestly think it would be hard to miss! 😉

Oh, it is the Altes Rathaus! I thought it might be but I could not see fitting sculptures on the loggia. Confused myself. It is on the tower. But what a shock, that statue next to it... X-rated.

So, statue of Herr Gerhard Unmaze, distinguished merchant, on the tower of the old town hall in Cologne on the Rhine. I have walked past the building as I have been to the Wallraff-Richartz-Museum nearby. This is Herr Unmaze, in German: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Unmaze

Canal archive is back and eager to have the next photo guessed. @dogs4fun may I collect the prize? I shall swiftly hand it over and we shall continue - for just a little bit longer. Yes, I like proper ceremonies. 

notamermaid

@Renmar

Thank you for your lovely post, Theo. And all the contributions to the game. Good to read you had so much fun.

And I have learned so much about the Netherlands from you. When I finally get to Maastricht I will think of you and back to this fun game.

Thanks again.

notamermaid

Hang on, this is actually on a ship deck isn't it? Silly me, I should enlarge my smartphone screen. Hence the chessboard. But river?

First I thought of the Thames but the ship is too large.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Well, it's been a few hours and nobody has grabbed #5000. So I will.

I recognized that this was on the top deck of a river ship right away but I have no clue where. 

So instead I will add on to Renmar's post, to say that I too have enjoyed this game immensely. It was a real challenge and a humbling experience. We thought that we had been to a lot of places but the details that all of you pick out and post, from all of your widespread travels, has been outstanding, and makes me realize that we have a lot of work to do to catch up! If it was not for dogs4fun's clues I'd not have gotten half of them. I had no clue on so many of the photos.

Also it's been fun "connecting" with all of you on this thread - some old friends and some new, but I enjoyed trying to keep up with all of your posts, hints, and pictures. Loved the camaraderie and how we'd all give clues to each other to help out. 

If all goes well we will be back on a cruise ship, in a bit more than 8 weeks! It's not a river ship but it will still be fun to travel again. Thanks everyone for keeping the spirit of travel alive and well!

• Like 4