I am curious, for near term bookings - what will you do?

msears101

I am curious, what people will do that are booked on a Dec 2020, Jan 2021, and Feb 2021 cruise. What are you hoping for?  Will you cancel or are you really hoping it will sail. Are you hoping it will cancel so you can get a 125% FCC?  What will you do?

I am booked on one the now "first cruises", I am hoping it will sail and I will be on it. I am hoping it will still be a pleasurable experience.  If it does not sail, I would take my money back and try and book some other last minute option (even if it a is non-cruise)

I don’t have anything planned until February 2021, but I went ahead and canceled our original cruise for those dates on Princess and instead booked a shorter, inexpensive cruise to the Bahamas on MSC (back to back for 7 nights). I still want to cruise, but I’m going to play it a bit safer, stay close to home, and see how things go before I commit to a longer cruise. 

Edited by Tapi

My December 13 cruise was cancelled on Friday.   We had paid for it in full.  Hoping for 125% FCC, but it was not offered in the cancelation letter.  Hoping it will be when the take the listing on their website.

Same here!  No mention of FCC in the letter.  However, I'm assuming there will be one, since our 12-20 Holiday cruise was paid for with FCC from two other cancelled cruises along with some $$$.  Luckily they cancelled this prior to final pay being due.

I'm planning on rolling this newest FCC to a Norwegian coastal cruise in June 2021 out of Oslo.  Will be phoning O tomorrow, since their offices are closed on weekends.  Kudos for giving their employees weekends off!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

I'm planning on rolling this newest FCC to a Norwegian coastal cruise

I didn't know that was an option. Can you use any NCL line FCC for the others?

Oceania had canceled my 12/3 cruise aboard the Riviera.  Rolling over the funds to a Sirena cruise in Nov. 2021.  Right now, I'm looking at the Emerald Princess, San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale.  We had done the Panama Canal before, but it was through the old locks.  With the Emerald, it will be going through the new locks which is what we want to do.  Main advantage of this cruise is that I live in San Francisco so there be no flying to get to the ship.  I'm assuming that this cruise will be capacity controlled.  However, I doubt it will even hit 40% as Princess scheduled too many Panama Canal cruises for the next 6 months.  Maybe, we can even social distance in their small theater for their shows, LOL. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 11:37 AM, GICNJC said:

My December 13 cruise was cancelled on Friday.   We had paid for it in full.  Hoping for 125% FCC, but it was not offered in the cancelation letter.  Hoping it will be when the take the listing on their website.

Was this the 13 December Riviera sailing? I was also booked on that one, but haven't received any notification it was cancelled! 

36 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

Was this the 13 December Riviera sailing? I was also booked on that one, but haven't received any notification it was cancelled! 

From what I have read just tonight on the  Oceania thread titled “Our cruise officially cancelled,” an email stating that several mid-December Oceania cruises had been cancelled was released prematurely by Oceania and rescinded as being issued in error. I am not certain if that means your sailing indeed is cancelled, not yet cancelled so officially still scheduled as of now or what! Hopefully GICNJC has the latest information.

Edited by CintiPam

As an FYI.   A good number of the Oceania boats are Italy.  The Riveria had been anchored in La Spezia, but is now docked.  It costs money to be at a dock.  The only guess i have is they are gearing up to ge moved or go cruising.  It is still possible it will get cancelled, but their are increasing signs that cruising is about to begin for Oceania.  

It appears that the NCL Joy is at Manila to pick up crew members for NCL/Oceania.  The NCL Escape is also heading to Manila, I guess, to pick up crew members too.  Flying them, in this current situation, is probably too expensive and difficult to plan.  I would assume after picking up the crew, these two ships would head to Mediterranean to transfer the crew members to the other NCL/Oceania ships there.  So, the NCL/Oceania cruises during the 1st part of December could still be canceled if anything goes wrong.  In our case, Riviera 12/3 cruise could be at risk.  All the cruiselines know that they can't cut corners and end up like Hurtigruten.  Let's see how it plays out.  (This is all speculation, backed up by the movements of ships on cruisemapper.com.)

Edited by deadzone1003
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CintiPam said:

From what I have read just tonight on the  Oceania thread titled “Our cruise officially cancelled,” an email stating that several mid-December Oceania cruises had been cancelled was released prematurely by Oceania and rescinded as being issued in error. I am not certain if that means your sailing indeed is cancelled, not yet cancelled so officially still scheduled as of now or what! Hopefully GICNJC has the latest information.

Thank you! I saw that after I posted here. Craziness. Sadly, I'm canceling as I'd rather not make final payment on a cruise that is highly likely to cancel. 😕

7 hours ago, GICNJC said:

It was Riveria.  Hoping to hear from my TA on Wednesday.   Have requested correction letter if it has not been canceled. 

Thanks for the response! I'm canceling today - no sense in making final payment when it will likely be canceled anyway.

6 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Thanks for the response! I'm canceling today - no sense in making final payment when it will likely be canceled anyway.

Do you not believe what deadzine said?  It costs lots of money to do what they doing. They are actually staffing up boats and you think it will be cancelled.  I am very curious to your thought process.

1 minute ago, msears101 said:

Do you not believe what deadzine said?  It costs lots of money to do what they doing. They are actually staffing up boats and you think it will be cancelled.  I am very curious to your thought process.

I do think it will be cancelled, and I don't make a habit of believing random internet people (although I'm sure Deadzone is a perfectly lovely person). He/she specifically said he/she is assuming and speculating, so why would I put faith in that? Florida (where I live) just basically reopened everything recently - so I expect COVID infections to go up even more here, especially with the holidays coming up. Additionally, there have been changes for the worse with some family members' health recently, and it's just better that I don't take that risk just now. I'm just playing it safe and getting my deposit back instead of giving a sizeable loan to Oceania. Easy enough to just rebook for next year at the same time when things are (hopefully) settled down. I hope that answers your question. 

• Like 1

samiam0403, if you are worried about covid 19, you made the right decision for yourself.  If you worry too much, you will have a lousy time on a cruise.  My wife and I are not as worried about covid 19 as many others.  We don't socialize very much with other passengers.  We tend to just relax on our cruises.  As long as Oceania don't follow Gov. Newsom's rule of wearing your mask between bites, we will be fine.  

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

samiam0403, if you are worried about covid 19, you made the right decision for yourself.  If you worry too much, you will have a lousy time on a cruise.  My wife and I are not as worried about covid 19 as many others.  We don't socialize very much with other passengers.  We tend to just relax on our cruises.  As long as Oceania don't follow Gov. Newsom's rule of wearing your mask between bites, we will be fine.  

Please don't think I'm worrying myself silly about covid 19 - I've had a great time on all of my cruises, including the last one in March just before every cruiseline started cancelling. I'm retired - I also relax on cruises just fine. I explained my reasons above when msears asked why I was cancelling - not sure how that turned into me being an uptight worrywart who is unable to relax. 😆  I'm itching to get back to cruising; but I am a realist and am just tired of getting my hopes up and then having another cruise cancel. Trust me, as soon as the ships start sailing, I'll be on one shortly thereafter! 

22 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

I am very sorry.  I thought you were cancelling because of the previous comment and did not understand how they related.  I believe everyone should make their own decision based on their own reasons. I started this thread to see the how people that are booked on the upcoming cruises were feeling about the cruise what they will do.  I was just curious what your reasons were.

I will be cruising (hopefully), and be assured I will go and report back, and help you make future decisions.

5 hours ago, msears101 said:

I am very sorry.  I thought you were cancelling because of the previous comment and did not understand how they related.  I believe everyone should make their own decision based on their own reasons. I started this thread to see the how people that are booked on the upcoming cruises were feeling about the cruise what they will do.  I was just curious what your reasons were.

I will be cruising (hopefully), and be assured I will go and report back, and help you make future decisions.

No worries. I do hope you are back to cruising soon! I'm looking forward to seeing how things go, and reading trip reports from initial cruisers. I'll likely give it a month or so once cruising re-starts, and then hop on a last-minute cruise - that's one of the best perks of living in Florida! 

• Like 1

Well, I just made my final yesterday for our 12-20 Riviera cruise just in case she sails.  If not, I'll get my FCC rolled over and take a Norway coastal cruise on 6-25.  We paid for the 12-20 cruise with our FCC from the cancelled Sirena in April of this year except for a small balance due yesterday.  Would probably have cancelled if we had a whole bunch of $$$$ to fork over; as it was it was only $650 pp.

Donna