Typical Dress code on Grandiosa in Europe

sooner33

Hi Everyone , i tried searching , but with no luck

We will be on the Grandiosa out of Rome in August 2021 ( we hope ) , We only have done Caribbean cruises before

We will be in the Yacht Club ( only way to cruise in our opinion )

What is the dress like at dinner. Formal nights we men always wear a suit and woman nice dresses

But on every other night it would be more Golf shirt a nice shorts ( again being in the Caribbean )

How will it be different on this cruise or will it ?

My wife wanted to know because on other nights she might wear nice jeans and a nice blouse with heels or something similiar

I know we will see a mix of everything probably but wanted some feedback from you guys if possible

So what usually do men and woman wear at dinner on a European cruise

Thanks in advance

8 hours ago, sooner33 said:

Hi Everyone , i tried searching , but with no luck

We will be on the Grandiosa out of Rome in August 2021 ( we hope ) , We only have done Caribbean cruises before

We will be in the Yacht Club ( only way to cruise in our opinion )

What is the dress like at dinner. Formal nights we men always wear a suit and woman nice dresses

But on every other night it would be more Golf shirt a nice shorts ( again being in the Caribbean )

How will it be different on this cruise or will it ?

My wife wanted to know because on other nights she might wear nice jeans and a nice blouse with heels or something similiar

I know we will see a mix of everything probably but wanted some feedback from you guys if possible

So what usually do men and woman wear at dinner on a European cruise

Thanks in advance

As far as we know MSC doesn't allow shorts in the dining rooms for dinner.

• Like 1

We have done 5/6 YC cruises and the poster above is correct No shorts in the dining room at dinner , OK for breakfast and lunch .

Gents tend to wear long pants and a long / short sleeved shirt or polo , the ladies tend to wear a dress or pants / capris and a blouse. Formal nights being Europe and they are not affected by luggage restrictions you will see a lot of glamorous attire throughout the ship. So you may then want to wear a jacket with your pants if you aren't taking a suit and your good lady may want to swap the capris for nicer trousers and a glittery top or a nice dress. On formal nights the Captain and some officers come to YC and usually circulate among the guests -this was pre Covid 19.

Hope that helps

Liz

• Like 2

My experience with MSC is in the Caribbean, where we found that even on non-formal nights, the European guests tended to kick it up a notch, particularly the ladies.  This was with 40-50% of the passengers being from areas other than the Americas.  You could tell as they walked by who was not American.  EM

• Like 2

My wife and I love MSC and found that most people dressed up at night. As in, REALLY dressed up, with ladies often sporting floor-length gowns and men in suits, tuxedos or, at a minimum, a coat and tie. One warning/caution I would give to Americans who are used to "whatever you want" dressing etiquette: Europeans don't do this on cruises, at least not on any of the 4 cruises we've done collectively with MSC and Costa. And they WILL look askance if you show up looking like you just left the pool or the beach. And, I've seen it where a boisterous American man in shorts and a tank-top gets into it with the maitre-d' who's disallowing him from entering the dining room in inappropriate attire. Better to be safe than sorry!

• Like 3

Dress standards are certainly different on European cruises than in the Caribbean, although we don't dress down in the Caribbean personally. DH would typically wear short sleeve shirt and long trousers and a smart/cocktail dress myself. Elegant night would be suit for DH and an evening dress for myself. You see the occasional couple not dressed up for elegant night but it's the exception.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone , Yes we have been on 7 or so cruises

One on MSC in yacht club but it was a Caribbean cruise

We always wear suites ( men ) on formal nights regardless

I was more  concerned with non formal nights. In Caribbean I would wear nice jeans and polo to dinner with dress shoes etc

I will just take some more docker type pants with me for non formal nights

Appreciate all the comments !!!

Happy Sailing everyone

• Like 1

Having most of my 8 cruises (7 MSC, 1 RCI) been done here in Europe there is quite a paradox relating how both us Europeans and Americans approach cruise evening dressing, and that goes across the board on the industry.

While at regular nights Europeans tend to be dressier than the more relaxed Americans; on the elegant or gala nights the ambiance tends to become very glamorous on MSC... And it was even more glamorous with the Americans on RCI... at a point that, while certainly very well dressed for a regular MSC sailing, I was quite "nude" for that Allure sailing!...

Regardless; considering what is the usual for Europe, consider dressing like what you'd dress when you'd go for such a relatively special dinner at your nice local restaurant for all your cruise days and dress like when you're invited to a wedding on elegant nights. Good news (at least for me...): elegant nights are being reduced to just one in several sailings recently. And even if not, 2nd elegant night tends to be less glamorous than 1st one.

Have a nice day!

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, tony s said:

On formal night definitely no jeans and polo. Having been on Grandiosa at minimum a long-sleeve shirt and sports coat

On 11/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, Tiggertastic said:

Is it ok on non formal nights for a man to wear jeans and a polo or jeans and a short sleeved shirt? Thanks

That non formal night attire would be okay.

Over the years even formal night is not so strictly adhered to and some folks dress down on those evenings also.