Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

I’m excited to have you along with us again. 

Glad you have packed your snorkel. I’m sure you will have time to do a little snorkelling.

I have realised that you also do trip reports, so when I have a spare moment (maybe when this is finished!) I will manage to read some of yours, too! Thanking you in advance, I know I will enjoy them. 

Thank you Ellie! 

There was a thread on Cruise Critic not long ago that asked that people put up some links to their reviews and I did that.  I found another one in my archives, and since you had mentioned you wanted to go to Tahiti/ French Polynesia earlier in this thread, this one might be one you check out from 2015 after you finish this wonderful journey you are taking us on now.

Hoping the link still works: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2087146-ocean-princess-french-polynesia-review-jan-24-feb-6-2015/

• Like 1

Ellie- So excited to find your new thread! I packed well; have hopefully not forgotten anything. We booked a mid ship suite and look forward to visiting the Concierge Lounge. Having never been to Hawaii, this will be a new adventure.

I continue to be amazed at your incredible recall and that you can support your adventures with pictures. You must be incredibly organized! Looking forward to your posts with your excellent photos. It is also great to read the enthusiasm of other posters who look forward to this new adventure. So glad you decided to write this virtual!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

That’s great news, cr8tiv! I hope you will chip in on the way, like azbirdmom did. She was able to fill in a lot of gaps.

I don’t suppose you have a copy of the Log by any chance as I cannot find mine and I know I would have brought it home?

I've been "downsizing" and out went the patters.  I did keep the Captain's Log.  Which did you need?  

ELUA was with us up until Honolulu (or Hilo) before they left for the Golden. He had one Tiki Dave Show.  Hula lessons didn't continue, but the guitarist from the band did the ukulele lessons and Aloha show.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeaBag said:

No, it was built in Amsterdam in 1920 and named Johan de Witt.  Then later renamed Neptunia. Your picture is too nice.  It was a tub!  Later that year it hit a rock off the coast of Cobh  and was towed off to Europe for scrap.  I could give you lots of details but that, now, would qualify for boring people!!

Thanks for that, Teabag. It is fascinating to hear how you first came to Halifax. By the sound of it that was not a luxury cruise!

I think this may be Neptunia... as you say, she ran aground. Thank goodness you made it safely! 👍

1ECEF7AD-98B1-4485-838C-42BC255E499C.thumb.png.59c83750d6c4b62e9ee87895e96cc12c.png

9 hours ago, ROWSE said:

Thank you Ellie! 

There was a thread on Cruise Critic not long ago that asked that people put up some links to their reviews and I did that.  I found another one in my archives, and since you had mentioned you wanted to go to Tahiti/ French Polynesia earlier in this thread, this one might be one you check out from 2015 after you finish this wonderful journey you are taking us on now.

Hoping the link still works: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2087146-ocean-princess-french-polynesia-review-jan-24-feb-6-2015/

Thank you for that, I will certainly make time to read it. Yes, it is still my dream to visit those islands in the Pacific, so I will start by doing that virtually. Then, when/if we do actually make it I will be prepared. 

Thank you so much! 👍

7 hours ago, Loucat said:

Ellie- So excited to find your new thread! I packed well; have hopefully not forgotten anything. We booked a mid ship suite and look forward to visiting the Concierge Lounge. Having never been to Hawaii, this will be a new adventure.

I continue to be amazed at your incredible recall and that you can support your adventures with pictures. You must be incredibly organized! Looking forward to your posts with your excellent photos. It is also great to read the enthusiasm of other posters who look forward to this new adventure. So glad you decided to write this virtual!

Thank you Loucat. I’m so delighted to have you along with us again. 

That mid-ship suite sounds just the ticket. I might have to pop round and stand on your balcony now and again.....

I’m afraid we only managed an outside cabin on Ruby, so no sipping a cocktail on our balcony, or glorious sunset photos - our view is obscured by a lifeboat, but at least we can see the sea - well just about! 🤣

I don’t think I’m organised, I just take photos incessantly. I’m sure it must drive my poor DH to distraction as he will often look round to see where I am, and I am way behind, snapping away. 

Now, as I sometimes find it difficult to remember what I had for breakfast (maybe I should take a photo of that? 🤣), I need to take lots of photos to help me recall everything. 

Yes, it is wonderful to see the enthusiasm of so many Cruising Adventurers who are joining us on another escapade. They are a fantastic group of people, who have energised me and encouraged me in such an incredible way. I hope that my Hawaii trip won’t disappoint. 

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I've been "downsizing" and out went the patters.  I did keep the Captain's Log.  Which did you need?  

ELUA was with us up until Honolulu (or Hilo) before they left for the Golden. He had one Tiki Dave Show.  Hula lessons didn't continue, but the guitarist from the band did the ukulele lessons and Aloha show.  

I have all the Patters, thank you but I can’t find the Captain’s Log, and that is very helpful to remind me of distances covered etc. Is there any chance you could photograph the pages for me and load them on here so I can read them please?

My biggest regret is that I didn’t take part in the ukulele lessons. I was too nervous to try them out, but if we ever did this cruise again it would be on my list of ‘must do’ activities. He was a fantastic teacher, and we enjoyed his show immensely. Very talented and a great teacher. 

Camera Information

215B6808-E8B1-492F-8430-258EE212DC14.thumb.jpeg.3ccab4855db3a5f77eaef54c165d070e.jpeg

As you all know, I am a complete novice, who suffers from photographic diarrhoea. I see something I like and I take a photo, or lots of photos. At my age it’s a wonderful way of remembering exactly what I did.

Occasionally they are good, sometimes they are bad, with a lot in between. But, hey, I enjoy it, so please forgive my photos if they don't reach the dizzy heights of some of the wonderful photographers on CC, whose photos I can only drool over, and which I’ve so enjoyed looking at over the years.

My main ‘proper’ camera is a Nikon, with a separate and heavy lens, but this normally stays at home as it’s too weighty to transport on a ‘plane nowadays.

I also have a Sony Cybershot which is easy to use and which has an amazing built in zoom lens, but I find that on the automatic setting it varies enormously, and I’m often disappointed. I only wish I was young enough to learn how to use the proper settings.

I still take my Canon IXUS point and shoot which is very lightweight, and which takes surprisingly good photos, especially close ups of flowers or food - very necessary on a cruise! However, I use it less and less because I now use my phone camera a lot.

The main advantage of using my trusty I-phone 6S is that I always have it with me, and it takes a very acceptable photo - even close ups of flowers. It is so easy to use, and very quick, but it often runs out of power or space at a critical moment, so I now take a power bank with me wherever I go. Good tip!

Since the start of this pandemic I have treated myself to a newer I-phone, and I simply can’t wait to use it once we restart cruising, but that is probably a long time in the future. It also has a much bigger storage capacity which will be great.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

Some Vital Statistics - no not mine!! 😉

C44B5DD5-AECB-491A-B5F6-22ACF04584E0.thumb.jpeg.c47ca66157b6e0a51553a53a1b58a77d.jpeg

Ruby Princess is a Crown Class cruise ship, built by Fincantieri in Trieste, Italy in 2007. She is a sister ship of Crown Princess and Emerald Princess. Her design was a modified Grand Class, with the Night Club moved just aft of the funnel instead of being suspended over the stern.

She was completed in October 2008 and was christened on 6 November 2008 by Trista Sutter and Ryan Sutter. Trista was the runner up on Season 1 of the Bachelor. and was also in the Bachelorette. It was on this series that she met her future husband, who she chose as her spouse, and they were married in 2003. 

Double Occupancy: 3080 passengers

Crew: 1100

Tonnage: 113,561

Length: 951(290m)

Beam: 118ft (36m)

Drought: 26ft, (8m)

Decks: 19

Speed: 23 knots

Maiden Voyage: April 2017

Claim to fame - she was the source of over 10% of Australia’s early Covid-19 cases.

DE256BA8-3C84-4E9C-839B-A544ABCDB264.thumb.jpeg.925103333e3dfec2f27b18dd0fb3de7b.jpeg

My suitcases are all packed, passport in hand, so let’s roll!

🎶 Another suitcase in another hall...🎶

C9969B37-8EDA-4DFC-99FB-53E2750F6ADB.thumb.jpeg.3f12c339c74cc3bdc32f3e8c2520b743.jpeg

Now, before we start this adventure, I need to say that these are my own views, and what I describe is just a snapshot of our time on Ruby Princess. Others may hate what I loved or love what I hated, but everyone’s perceptions and expectations are different, but that does not make them any less valid.

If you decide to follow along then please do ask anything you like, and I will do my best to answer your questions. Your comments will keep me going, and I love hearing from you.

So, if you are prepared for the long haul then pack your bags, grab your passports, and jump aboard. I’d love to have you along.

But I suggest you bring a brolly (umbrella!) 💭

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

23 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

My family and I once visited the ‘France,’ owned by the French Line, when she was docked in Southampton - something you could write to the cruise line and request. We were allowed to board in the evening as passengers were embarking, and we were given a free run of the ship until they finally departed. Imagine that these days! She was a beautiful Art Deco ship, with little bell boys in smart uniforms operating the elevators, the epitome of luxury and attentive service. 

Princess had a program (stopped about 2 or 3 years ago) called Bon Voyage Experience (BVE).

Pay $39 (applied to any future cruise that you booked within 90 days), board first (right after any wedding party and before Elites, etc), lunch in the MDR with a glass of wine included. Wander the ship and do whatever (even swim in a pool) until 1 or 2 hours before sailway. Grab a hot dog or a pizza slice.

It was a great program, but only available at US ports. So sorry to see it ended.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Princess had a program (stopped about 2 or 3 years ago) called Bon Voyage Experience (BVE).

Pay $39 (applied to any future cruise that you booked within 90 days), board first (right after any wedding party and before Elites, etc), lunch in the MDR with a glass of wine included. Wander the ship and do whatever (even swim in a pool) until 1 or 2 hours before sailway. Grab a hot dog or a pizza slice.

It was a great program, but only available at US ports. So sorry to see it ended.

That sounds really cool. What a great way to see what a Cruise ship is like. It must have helped people to decide to book a future cruise. 

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Yes, Ellie, that is the Neptunia picture we have.  I thought about posting it but decided it wasn't relevant to your blog.

Thank you for sharing that, TeaBag. It was really interesting. I loved the story of the person who locked everyone into their cabins! i hope you didn’t mind me posting that photo of Neptunia. I am fascinated by ships, old or new. 

Bet you are glad cruising has moved on a bit! 

Thank goodness Ruby has ensuite facilities! 🤣

Edited by ellie1145

Wednesday, April 3rd 2019

When the lights went out.....

C7E14FA0-98B5-4028-A5BA-C121A63EC281.thumb.jpeg.a020b769b7fc1537dc21f058ae3c026a.jpeg

Last night I finally finished my huge list of ‘Things to Do Before We Leave’ and so we were able to spend the night at a local hostelry. It proves to be an eventful evening! With everything ready for the morning, we make our way to the hotel, and all is well to start with, but after a shower and hair wash I plug in my hairdryer at the same time my husband turns the kettle on for a cup of tea, and there is a bang and a flash and all the lights go out. 🤭

Now, there is me, in a bath towel, with the room in pitch darkness, and it takes a moment before I realise I can turn on the torch on my iphone, so that we can see to move. We hope that maybe the lights will come back on, but they don’t, so DH makes his way out of the room and back to reception, where he notifies the lady on the desk about our little electrical ‘problem.’

By this time another couple are peering anxiously out of their doorway from their dark room. Unfortunately, their room must be on the same circuit as us, so they are in pitch darkness too. I have to admit that we did not tell them about our little ‘accident.’ 🤫

The young lady on the desk seems utterly perplexed, and when DH suggests that maybe she should look for the fuse box she has no idea where (or what) that is.

Finally giving up, she offers us a change of rooms, but the only one available is at the other end of the corridor, so DH has to move all our stuff while I get dressed again.

We finally settle into our new room before falling exhaustedly into bed. The next morning we are up early as I need to do online check in at home, which is at 07.25, so we return to the house, where I manage to print off our boarding passes. 

Check in completed, we pack the suitcases into our car, check round the house, and turn off all the switches etc. Now we can get on our way to London Heathrow and our overnight hotel.

This is a small and very well run Travelodge, close to where we live. We usually book a night there before we travel up to London, Heathrow.

D1C7358A-F215-4BF6-81F1-03F18D0D03B8.thumb.jpeg.9fc4aba4ab43b3a6b0bb3fe9b0f8d85f.jpeg

C202B2DE-CCAD-4280-BA65-1EB0526F2076.thumb.jpeg.05b8f16425c38652f35d580e4db76309.jpeg

Edited by ellie1145

🎶 All my bags are packed, I’m ready to go....🎶

(anyone recognise that song?)

Soon after 10.00 am we are on our way to London, en-route to our son’s apartment, as he is going to be home all day. We have lunch with him, and later I accompany him into central London where he has an appointment.

Meanwhile, DH drives to the Crowne Plaza and checks in.

3862DC08-0AE2-4097-9704-520320B42C66.thumb.jpeg.5cf808f76e7f4e3c11dc5bc5d84d0c59.jpeg

6E3DD9E3-160C-4934-87FE-EA4DD89D57D3.thumb.jpeg.0c4c154cf58f1188c9fac08186301129.jpeg

1E4EEA12-C24B-44EB-A842-AEE3BAB90302.thumb.jpeg.592940ad7e07f3a909884107d1018dc3.jpeg

C2DD43AD-A648-458C-8130-5CBB98867811.thumb.jpeg.c98b2e092b28cdf85f87286c1fad47b5.jpeg

F70A1AC8-3B96-404B-8669-2DFFC51090B6.thumb.jpeg.3f9a538348a106abddd0613e2c473f72.jpeg

My son and I eat dinner together at a restaurant in Victoria Station, and then we make our way back to his flat where DH is waiting to pick me up.   

DFBCA93F-4C41-446A-A607-96E2A300AFEA.thumb.jpeg.33f5b5dd909c11440aef44300be0ddd6.jpeg

We drive back to the hotel and I start sorting things out for the morning.  Poor DH has to drive round and round in the dark trying to find a parking space, as by that time the car park is pretty full.

He is gone so long that I begin to wonder if he’s been kidnapped by aliens, but thankfully he eventually arrives back, having had to park at the front of the hotel, rather than the long stay car parks to the rear.

I cannot believe how long it takes me to sort everything out, and it is nearly 11.00 pm before I finish. DH takes our overnight things out to the car to save doing it in the morning, as we have a very early start.

I am too tired to wash my hair again, so just make do with a quick bath, and we literally fall into bed just before midnight.

48BDFE11-8D5F-4804-A99C-103BABC7DDA1.thumb.jpeg.4014078cc818d9b2762ff2a4de888b96.jpeg

We set our alarm for 3.45, although it hardly seems worth going to sleep. 

But I’m really excited and can’t wait to be at the airport. We have a new adventure ahead of us and it can’t come soon enough. 

• Like 1

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" was written and sung by John Denver.  Made famous by Peter, Paul, and Mary.  Personal connection to this songwriter, but that would be deviating from this thread.  I will get to the Captain's Log in a day or two then post it here.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" was written and sung by John Denver.  Made famous by Peter, Paul, and Mary.  Personal connection to this songwriter, but that would be deviating from this thread.  I will get to the Captain's Log in a day or two then post it here.

You are absolutely right, cr8tiv! Well done! 👏

Thank you for looking out for the Captain’s Log. That will be most useful. 

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Personal connection to this songwriter, but that would be deviating from this thread.

Oh no, you can’t tempt us with that bit of information and then leave us hanging!

I’m sure nobody would mind a bit of a deviation. As you know, I’m prone to a bit of deviation myself.....and let’s face it, we aren’t going anywhere anytime soon! 🤔

8 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Hooray, azbirdmom, you have joined us! 

How is your little bird doing? 

By the way, have you been to Hawaii before? 

I just joined!  Sorry for the delay.  Our little one is doing just fine.  And yes we have been to Hawaii multiple times.  I was first there as port stops on a cruise on the Fair Princess from Papeete Tahiti to Los Angeles in 1989.  And when we got married in 1994 we honeymooned in Hawaii and then spent every anniversary in Maui until my husband and I started cruising together in 2008.  Since then I think we have only been back there 3 times and I have to say I miss it so seeing your pictures will be wonderful, especially since I miss cruising a lot too!

I've enjoyed seeing your pictures of your early days of cruising.  I was on the Norway sometime in the early 80's.  Boy have things changed a lot since then.

Looking forward to this wonderful virtual cruise!

• Like 1

John Denver was the son of my college parents' very dear family friends.  My parents had a very colorful relationship with my college parents (oh the stories my mom would tell me).  He was a draftsman and lived/worked with them when he was just getting his career started in Los Angeles.  Our visits overlapped the time John Denver was living with them.  I would not ever claim to have been in his inner circle, but 2 degrees of separation.  

• Like 1