The Daily for Monday Nov 2, 2020

richwmn

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We have a small / miniature Meyer. It started out in a pot but we ended up planting it in one of the planters that line our lawn. That was some 35 years ago. It had a tremendous number of fruit last season and a ton of sets when we had it trimmed. It had a growth spurt last season and a few branches got to 6 feet. It’s now back to 4 foot, but the cost was a loss of much of this season’s fruit.

I feel your pain. This past year, my yard crew really wedged netting way down onto the branches of my tree to protect it from deer.

A team of neighbors helped me cut/rip/tear the netting off so we could harvest the lemons. A lot of leaves were ripped off in the process, so that is where the majority of my tree energy went this year.  But I probably have about 50 lemons that are just starting to turn yellow. And the tree looks very healthy!

I put my own netting on this year.😉

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good news from this neck of the woods: The Silverado fire is reported to be 93% contained and the Blue Ridge Fire is at 88% contained. There isn’t enough smoke now to see where either is burning.  Looking across the valley from our church on Saturday you could see definite burned areas (scorched black) following the ridges of the hills and coming close to people’s yards.

Oh that is excellent news.  What a relief.  It it too soon for a 

178F976E-CD85-4364-B608-E6EC6552F9AE.gif.385a74843067fba588769ccde66f0a0c.gif

I hope not.  What a relief ❤️ 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good news from this neck of the woods: The Silverado fire is reported to be 93% contained and the Blue Ridge Fire is at 88% contained. There isn’t enough smoke now to see where either is burning.  Looking across the valley from our church on Saturday you could see definite burned areas (scorched black) following the ridges of the hills and coming close to people’s yards.

Spectacular news!

@rafinmd  thanks Roy for thinking about my DH.  His broken tooth has turned into major dental work that will start on the 23rd.  Right now he is okay and you can take him off the care list.  It is a good thing that we don't have any cruises booked for a year from now$.  I did not post as I was working today, but I did take some to to read through some of the posts.   I am glad I got notice that you had commented, my final look before turning in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I spread the zest out as much as possible on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet, and then pop it into the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Then it is usually frozen enough to stay somewhat separated, when I put it into a ziploc bag.

I will confess that near the end, I only zested the perfect lemons. Boy did my hands ache after that marathon. But I am literally enjoying the fruits of my labors - pun intended.

I take the lazy, hand saver way out. I cut the fresh lemons in half and freeze them in a ziplock. When I need zest, I grate the cut side of the frozen lemon directly into what I’m making. It tastes just like fresh lemon!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gigianne said:

@rafinmd  thanks Roy for thinking about my DH.  His broken tooth has turned into major dental work that will start on the 23rd.  Right now he is okay and you can take him off the care list.  It is a good thing that we don't have any cruises booked for a year from now$.  I did not post as I was working today, but I did take some to to read through some of the posts.   I am glad I got notice that you had commented, my final look before turning in.  

Oh no, Georgina 😢 

Poor Gerry 😳 😭

Looks like 2020 is really not a good year, for sure 😱. I hope his dental work is not too tough on him and goes well 🙏🏻 🤞 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I take the lazy, hand saver way out. I cut the fresh lemons in half and freeze them in a ziplock. When I need zest, I grate the cut side of the frozen lemon directly into what I’m making. It tastes just like fresh lemon!

That is a great idea! I am going to share this idea with my neighbors, who do not like to take too many because they do not want them to go bad before they use them!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gigianne said:

Good grief! I am so sorry. I hope that everything goes smoothly!

16 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Good luck with your research! Who knows, they might have dwarf Meyer lemon trees that would be perfect for a pot. Regular lemon trees do not do well where I live, because we actually have a winter here. It usually only lasts 10 - 14 days, but.... 

I spread the zest out as much as possible on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet, and then pop it into the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Then it is usually frozen enough to stay somewhat separated, when I put it into a ziploc bag.

I will confess that near the end, I only zested the perfect lemons. Boy did my hands ache after that marathon. But I am literally enjoying the fruits of my labors - pun intended.

I like that idea of freezing the zest as separate as possible first.  I'll try it soon.  I have frozen whole lemons when I've had an abundance so might also try zesting off of those (never thought to try it that way before).  I also freeze whole tomatoes when I have too many.

• Like 1