Sea Dream Yacht Club Passenger Tests Positive for COVID

cruisead

On 11/13/2020 at 9:47 AM, Belfastman said:

Even the vaccine may not be the answer. No-one knows how long protection given by a vaccine will last. If it is only six months everyone will need to have the vaccine again and again ..... As it is going to take a very long time even to get the first time vaccination for everyone how long will repeated doses take?

Vaccine the only answer long term.  We are told to take a flu shot every year to keep protected so what would be different about this? 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 4:58 PM, Tranquility Base said:

There is a thread on the Royal Caribbean forum which mentions about 2 U.S. Politicians writing to the CDC asking them to reinstate the No Sail Order. 

Not surprising given over 180,000 new cases plus the failure of the recent restart.

19 hours ago, RJB said:

Vaccine the only answer long term.  We are told to take a flu shot every year to keep protected so what would be different about this? 

Flu shot is given for a winter illness covid would be year round and would also be given to everyone ideally whereas flu shot is given to a small percentage of the world population.

Don't know of anyone who is required to have a flu shot prior to cruising whereas I guess that the covid shot will be required.

16 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Flu shot is given for a winter illness covid would be year round and would also be given to everyone ideally whereas flu shot is given to a small percentage of the world population.

Don't know of anyone who is required to have a flu shot prior to cruising whereas I guess that the covid shot will be required.

Any company or business can set whatever rules they want if you want to work for them or do business with them. If Oceania wants to make having received a covid vaccine a requisite for boarding one of their ships they can. Many many companies are going to be making being vaccinated for covid a requirement of employment. If you don't like it or don't want to get vaccinated you can work somewhere else or go on another cruise line. You won't be able to yell discrimination because this is not a discriminatory policy.

No one has a right to cruise or to work for a specific company.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Any company or business can set whatever rules they want if you want to work for them or do business with them. If Oceania wants to make having received a covid vaccine a requisite for boarding one of their ships they can. Many many companies are going to be making being vaccinated for covid a requirement of employment. If you don't like it or don't want to get vaccinated you can work somewhere else or go on another cruise line. You won't be able to yell discrimination because this is not a discriminatory policy.

No one has a right to cruise or to work for a specific company.

+1

As I wrote on a different thread, my Cardiologist is telling we patients to be vaccinated by 1/22 or find a new Cardiologist. Haven’t been to my Urologist yet, but heard he’s saying the same thing. 

The world will get very small for those refusing to be vaccinated. Many employers will , in fact, require it. 

• Like 1

Even if you require people to submit a negative test no earlier than 72 hours before boarding, you can have people show up who were exposed to Covid while flying to a destination (or sightseeing before going to the ship) and/or have been exposed but had not yet tested positive.  From what I've read, where I live anyway, it takes at least one or two days to get results back for the test, and then obviously more time to fly to where the ship departs.  And Covid doesn't usually infect a person enough to activate a test for at least a few days.  So the timing is really tricky.  Even if you use deserted beaches for excursions, use and enforce great onboard protocols and tests, I would think it would be extremely difficult to keep everyone virus-free for a week because of the timing.  Even strict quarantining pre-cruise may not work. 

I'm signed up for a cruise in August.  Hopefully by then there will be an effective vaccine available for every person who wants it, at least in cruise-hungry areas like the U.S. and Europe, and enough people will get it to lessen the risk quite a bit.   And by then hopefully every country on my (limited) itinerary will welcome cruisers, too. But for now, I certainly won't be cruising. There are just too many things that could go wrong, with some carrying the possibility of death or permanent complications.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

On 11/13/2020 at 4:58 PM, Tranquility Base said:

There is a thread on the Royal Caribbean forum which mentions about 2 U.S. Politicians writing to the CDC asking them to reinstate the No Sail Order. 

2 members of Congress.  The Hill had a story; probably can google it. .

On 11/13/2020 at 1:58 PM, Tranquility Base said:

Considering the enormous surge and the restrictions that some states are putting in place I'll be shocked if CDC doesn't. Here's what Washington State just announced:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/gov-inslee-orders-sweeping-restrictions-on-indoor-gatherings-restaurants-bars-gyms-as-covid-19-cases-surge-in-washington-state/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BNA_111520185959+BREAKING+New+restrictions+on+indoor+gatherings%2c+restaurants%2c+bars%2c+gyms_11_15_2020&utm_term=Active subscriber

Oregon has something similar which includes no more than six people from no more than two households for indoor or outdoor gatherings. With fines and I can't remember if arrest is a possibility. Getting serious indeed.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Considering the enormous surge and the restrictions that some states are putting in place I'll be shocked if CDC doesn't. Here's what Washington State just announced:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/gov-inslee-orders-sweeping-restrictions-on-indoor-gatherings-restaurants-bars-gyms-as-covid-19-cases-surge-in-washington-state/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BNA_111520185959+BREAKING+New+restrictions+on+indoor+gatherings%2c+restaurants%2c+bars%2c+gyms_11_15_2020&utm_term=Active subscriber

Oregon has something similar which includes no more than six people from no more than two households for indoor or outdoor gatherings. With fines and I can't remember if arrest is a possibility. Getting serious indeed.

But of course, there are states like Florida that refuse to do anything.  And the whole issue has been so politicized......and lots of people in government are being fired, so government is no longer bipartisan.  Sad.  How many deaths does it take til we know that too many people have died?  The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.  But I'll get off Cruise Critic now before I annoy anyone or get banned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

But of course, there are states like Florida that refuse to do anything.  And the whole issue has been so politicized......and lots of people in government are being fired, so government is no longer bipartisan.  Sad.  How many deaths does it take til we know that too many people have died?  The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.  But I'll get off Cruise Critic now before I annoy anyone or get banned.

I hesitate to post this but I think I was just factual not judgmental.

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Stay where you are.  We need every ones opinions even if we do not agree all the time.  That is what makes this country great.  We do not always have to be alike. 

I suggest you go to YouTube and view "Cruise with Ben&David". They were on the the Sea Dream and make a living cruising. There were a total of 7 pax and 1 crew infected. You will see how testing is a failure and why they do not recommend cruising without vaccinations.  Draw your own conclusions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, azdrydock said:

I suggest you go to YouTube and view "Cruise with Ben&David". They were on the the Sea Dream and make a living cruising. There were a total of 7 pax and 1 crew infected. You will see how testing is a failure and why they do not recommend cruising without vaccinations.  Draw your own conclusions.

Agree with you.  I like your conclusions.

• Like 1