First time

Yonce81

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't have your experience of the various P&O ships, so obviously cannot argue with you.

I was just of the opinion that if  I was a solo traveller, I would prefer to be on a smaller ship, such as Arcadia, because it is easier to "bump" into other cruisers and make new friends, rather than on the larger ships. 

Hopefully neither of us will never need to find out if my theory is correct.  

From the perspective of bumping into passengers that you have met previously, I would completely agree that it is easier / more likely on the smaller ships. On the larger ships it is often the case that you never meet the same passengers twice! My point related to variety and choice of restaurants, facilities etc. As I said, all the ships have pros and cons. The OP has booked Britannia and is seeking reassurance and I am sure that 2 weeks in the Med on her will be a fabulous introduction to solo cruising. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

From the perspective of bumping into passengers that you have met previously, I would completely agree that it is easier / more likely on the smaller ships. On the larger ships it is often the case that you never meet the same passengers twice! My point related to variety and choice of restaurants, facilities etc. As I said, all the ships have pros and cons. The OP has booked Britannia and is seeking reassurance and I am sure that 2 weeks in the Med on her will be a fabulous introduction to solo cruising. 

I think whichever ship you are on cruising is the best form of a holiday for a single traveller. The security, the friendships formed, the entertainment, the ports etc etc - and returning “home” after a lovely day ashore is unbeatable.

• Like 3

There are usually quite a lot of solo passengers on a cruise as it is a very 'safe' and social holiday.Of the single travellers we have met onboard, several have made friends by sitting with a 'solos' table in fixed dining,  others by going along to the coffee mornings arranged for solo travellers on the ship.Another way is to join the Roll Call for your particular cruise and arrange a 'meet up on board or go along to the team quizzes and join a team. 

• Like 3

Good luck on your first ever cruise, whether you meet up with fellow solo cruisers or couples, you will love the stories that they can tell. If it is their experiences or the places they have visited, they will always be interesting. On our second cruise we got talking to a lovely elderly couple and they told us that their first ever cruise was on a cargo ship that used to use the empty cabins for fare paying passengers. They did say that the food and accommodation were first class but as for walking around the deck, maybe not the best. Great memories though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That is certainly one reason I prefer the smaller ships - whether I am sailing solo or with a cruise buddy. I do however have a number of friends who cruise solo and absolutely love doing so on Britannia.

• Like 2

All the points others have made are true.  I was on Britannia in the Caribbean and had a lovely time.  There is a meeting most days for coffee (or maybe every day I can’t remember now) so you can have as much or as little contact with others as you wish.  I too have a 14 day Mediterranean booked on her.   If you choose fixed dining you will have the same company most nights.  Lovely to have something to look forward too!

• Like 1