First time

Yonce81

22 minutes ago, Yonce81 said:

Booked my first solo cruise, I have never cruised before and I’m extremely nervous! I dont know what to expect but im very excited!!!!!!!!!!

You'll have a great time. Cruising is a wonderful way to see different countries easily in one holiday. There are some solo cruisers on here who will be able to give you some good advice.  Be warned though, it's very addictive once you start. Just like Pringles😁 Which cruise have you chosen?

Welcome  to the forum

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Yonce81 said:

Booked my first solo cruise, I have never cruised before and I’m extremely nervous! I dont know what to expect but im very excited!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations... 

If it gets back to anything like how cruising was, you will have a great time and meet some lovely people. 

Don't be nervous, you will be made to feel comfortable and welcome. 

Andy 

• Like 2

You will have a great time, it is the ideal holiday for a person traveling alone.  There is usually a get together for single passengers.

As Andy said welcome to the forum and feel free to ask any questions someone will have the answer for you.

• Like 2

Honestly, its brilliant.  We love every minute.

My brother went on a solo one and enjoyed it so much he booked again before he left the ship.  He said he met a group of singles and there was always someone around if you wanted company but it wasn't pushed on you.  How he said it worked was sometimes he would go out with a small group, or meet one of them while going round the ship  and then go with them for a beer... he said it was very casual and friendly then over dinner a good laugh.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. I’ve done quite a few solo cruises and have found it very enjoyable. There are usually events for solo travellers organised on board and I’d recommend going along to one of those (initially it is usually tea or coffee) to meet other passengers in the same boat so to speak.
You will hopefully find a few people of the same age and interests and then you can arrange to go ashore together or meet up in the bar for drinkies.
If you think it’s not for you then you don’t need to go again...

Alternatively I find cruisers to be very friendly and chatty and I’ve no doubt there’ll be a few from this forum on your cruise. There may be a Roll Call set up so that is another way to get to know others before boarding.

Enjoy the looking forward to it. You’ll love it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yonce81 said:

Britannia 

Good choice in my opinion. Some dislike her because they think she is too big but there is plenty going on to suit most tastes, various alternative places to eat and several entertainment venues. Balconies are a bit narrow but adequate as a bit of private outdoor space.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. I am sure you will find you are addicted.

I haven't travelled on my own but I have sailed on Britannia several times, and others have said the balconies are a bit small, but provide you with a place of your own for a bit of peace and quiet if you want it.

• Like 1

Hi you will enjoy your cruise but you will become addicted 😀it’s a fantastic  and safe way to holiday for everyone and I’m sure you will meet some lovely people, I have sailed on the Britannia several times and my favourite cabins are at the very back as I love the views when sailing out of the ports.👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi you will enjoy your cruise but you will become addicted 😀it’s a fantastic  and safe way to holiday for everyone and I’m sure you will meet some lovely people, I have sailed on the Britannia several times and my favourite cabins are at the very back as I love the views when sailing out of the ports.👍

We also always book the aft facing cabins but any balcony cabin is a good place to be especially with a nice glass of wine in my hand as we sail out 🍷

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! I've been lucky enough to have been cruising for a number of years and have done several with P&O since my partner died. It is indeed an easy and relaxed way to travel solo.

Assuming things haven't changed since my last one, there will be a solos coffee meet every morning. On sea days it is usually hosted by a couple of the entertainment officers. On the ships I have sailed on it has always been in one of the bars but I haven't been on Britannia so don't know where they hold it. It is however put in the daily programme of events put in your cabin each night.

If you have booked Club (fixed) dining, you can always request (before you go) to be seated on a table with other solo travellers. I find that works for me but isn't to everyone's taste.

As others have said, ships are very friendly and if you are remotely confident or outgoing, you will meet lots of people to have a natter with.

• Like 1

We have had the pleasure of meeting dozens of solo passengers over the years, all of whom seem to be having thoroughly enjoyable cruises. If I was on my own I would have no hesitation in booking a cruise as a solo passenger. In fact I’m tempted now 😉 

• Like 2

Our last cruise was a five week adventure to the Caribbean and Central America.  We were on Freedom Dining, so met different people at dinner each night.  One lady we met early on was on her first cruise (five weeks! 2 TransAtlantic crossings!). She had grown bored with one destination holidays and coach holidays.  I think she told us her age but I don’t remember exactly.  She was at least late 70s
We met her again 3 or 4 times during the cruise.  She was having such a blast.  Smile from ear to ear

I envy you the First Cruise experience.  Savour it and love it.  There’s lots of help available here if you have questions or worries (don’t worry!). Only one warning - it’s habit-forming 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We have had the pleasure of meeting dozens of solo passengers over the years, all of whom seem to be having thoroughly enjoyable cruises. If I was on my own I would have no hesitation in booking a cruise as a solo passenger. In fact I’m tempted now 😉 

Don't let Mrs S read that! 

However,  I know what you mean. 

However,  I do think that solo cruisers would be better suited to smaller ships such as Arcadia, but I obviously have no first hand knowledge as Mrs W insists on accompanying me at all times!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Don't let Mrs S read that! 

However,  I know what you mean. 

However,  I do think that solo cruisers would be better suited to smaller ships such as Arcadia, but I obviously have no first hand knowledge as Mrs W insists on accompanying me at all times!

Having been on all the P&O ships, Lady Selbourne and I agree on our pecking order and Arcadia is our least favourite! We love Aurora but whenever we are on her we really miss the modern cabin facilities and select dining restaurants on Britannia. They all have their pros and cons but as a first time Solo passenger I think Britannia is a good choice as there are more things to see and do.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Having been on all the P&O ships, Lady Selbourne and I agree on our pecking order and Arcadia is our least favourite! We love Aurora but whenever we are on her we really miss the modern cabin facilities and select dining restaurants on Britannia. They all have their pros and cons but as a first time Solo passenger I think Britannia is a good choice as there are more things to see and do.

I don't have your experience of the various P&O ships, so obviously cannot argue with you.

I was just of the opinion that if  I was a solo traveller, I would prefer to be on a smaller ship, such as Arcadia, because it is easier to "bump" into other cruisers and make new friends, rather than on the larger ships. 

Hopefully neither of us will never need to find out if my theory is correct.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't have your experience of the various P&O ships, so obviously cannot argue with you.

I was just of the opinion that if  I was a solo traveller, I would prefer to be on a smaller ship, such as Arcadia, because it is easier to "bump" into other cruisers and make new friends, rather than on the larger ships. 

Hopefully neither of us will never need to find out if my theory is correct.  

As a solo traveller I would absolutely agree that the smaller ships are much better for “bumping” into people.

I have been on Aurora, Arcadia and Azura as a solo and I would say the first two were much better for making friends and seeing the same people around on deck and in the various venues - but that has just been my personal experience.

• Like 1