Alaska Cruise Boarding Seattle

ScottC4746

I have read some posts where the boarding process for Alaska Cruises out of Vancouver is a nightmare and not very fast.  How is it out of Seattle?  Thinking of upgrading from Verandah to Neptune just to get priority boarding and other perks that go with Neptune.

Suggestions?  My first Seattle and first Alaska cruise.  It is the Oosterdam on 6 June 2021

Go with the Neptune Suite if you can.  The security line in the cruise terminal can be challenging, especially with the arrival of the buses but once through that you will be well cared for and receive expedited boarding.

Also, you will receive an upscale room service menu for NS breakfast, no charge for room service but you may want to have your tip ready when they arrive,   You can order anything on the dining room menu to be delivered to your room.   Neptune Lounge is available for snacks and drinks during the day.

My experience of the Seattle boarding was very smooth when we went in May of 2019. We were in a verandah cabin with no special boarding privileges. Arrived at the dock shortly after 10, dropped off the luggage, went through the check in process and waited in the big room. Boarding started shortly after 11 and  by 11:20 we had dropped off our bags in the cabin and were on the pool deck with our first cocktail. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gknep said:

My experience of the Seattle boarding was very smooth when we went in May of 2019. We were in a verandah cabin with no special boarding privileges. Arrived at the dock shortly after 10, dropped off the luggage, went through the check in process and waited in the big room. Boarding started shortly after 11 and  by 11:20 we had dropped off our bags in the cabin and were on the pool deck with our first cocktail. 

I think arrival time is a big difference.  When we did the Eurodam a couple years ago to Mexico from San Diego our hotel was right across from the pier and as soon as I saw people coming off we packed up and headed over.  I think by 10 AM we were on board.

In my experience, Vancouver has one of the best boarding process.  Seattle is OK.  As an earlier post noted, arrival time can make a big difference.  Also, on these 're-start' cruises, I would expect lighter passenger loads, so loading may go faster (or not, depending on additional health checks.)

6 minutes ago, Tom_Cruise said:

In my experience, Vancouver has one of the best boarding process.  Seattle is OK.  As an earlier post noted, arrival time can make a big difference.  Also, on these 're-start' cruises, I would expect lighter passenger loads, so loading may go faster (or not, depending on additional health checks.)

Especially this summer, who knows how light the crowd will be from Covid fears.

In my experience, Seattle is far easier than Vancouver because Vancouver also requires a Customs check prior to the normal cruise line check-in.  Vancouver was one of the worst check-ins I've ever experienced.  

I cruised out of Seattle last year and it was a breeze.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

I have read some posts where the boarding process for Alaska Cruises out of Vancouver is a nightmare and not very fast.  How is it out of Seattle?  Thinking of upgrading from Verandah to Neptune just to get priority boarding and other perks that go with Neptune.

Suggestions?  My first Seattle and first Alaska cruise.  It is the Oosterdam on 6 June 2021

You can get priority boarding by purchasing the Club Orange package:

"Move to the head of the line with priority check-in and disembarkation;"

Just now, DaveOKC said:

You can get priority boarding by purchasing the Club Orange package:

"Move to the head of the line with priority check-in and disembarkation;"

I thought about that too but Club Orange specific threads I am getting mixed messages if it is worth it or not.

I must admit that when compared to many other ports around the world we do not like the process at Vancouver or Seattle.  In the case of Seattle the facilities used by HAL are just not up to snuff.  The last time we embarked from Seattle, HAL decided to impose a timed check-in process since they were having lots of congestion problems at the port.  We were told not to come to the port until after 1:30 and we decided to respect HAL and follow the advice.  It was a hot humid day and when we arrived at the Port there was a very long queue outside the terminal (many were in the sun) which moved at a snails pace.  The problem was they had too few security screeners and this caused a huge bottleneck.  It took us over an hour to get inside the building.  We later learned (from other passengers) that if we had not listened to HAL and simply arrived at the port a bit early there was no line.  

By the way, Priority boarding (we are 5 Star Mariners) was useless because there is not priority until after you clear the security/bag check folks.

Hank

3 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I just google earthed Pier 91 in Seattle and it is in a pretty industrial area.  The hotel we are staying at Pier 66 is across the street and looks like Norwegian was parked there. 

Yes, Pier 66 is right by the Marriott as I recall.  However, there are no hotels new Pier 91 (which HAL uses), so a taxi or shuttle is required.

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Yes, Pier 66 is right by the Marriott as I recall.  However, there are no hotels new Pier 91 (which HAL uses), so a taxi or shuttle is required.

Marriott Waterfront is where we are staying.  I may look at a nice Sixt shuttle car to take us to the terminal.  Celebrating my 55th birthday a year late since it was canceled this year.

2 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Marriott Waterfront is where we are staying.  I may look at a nice Sixt shuttle car to take us to the terminal.  Celebrating my 55th birthday a year late since it was canceled this year.

Nice hotel (rooms a bit small though).  At the back entrance there is an elevator outside that you can use to avoid climbing the hill to Pikes Market and the rest of downtown.

• Like 1

We used Uber to get from the Sheraton downtown to Pier 91 when we cruised on the Amsterdam last summer.  I think it was about $10-15.  We left the hotel around noon - actually checked out around 10, stored bags with bellman, walked around, got some breakfast, poked our heads in the market then went back to hotel to get bags and request an Uber.  Arrived at pier around 12:15 and ZERO queue for bag drop, security or check-in.  It was the fastest and easiest I have ever encountered as we were aboard the ship with carry-ons dropped in cabin by 12:30.  I talked to some who arrived around 10:30 and they took about 50-60 minutes to get through the process and onboard.  Arriving early does not always result in the best boarding experience.

Going forward through at least the end of 2021 I expect we will see mandatory assigned arrival/boarding times for all guests so that Covid testing/screening can be done and proper physical distancing can be maintained.  You most likely will be assigned your boarding time at check-in.  The European lines are doing this and anyone who arrives early/late must leave the terminal area and come back at either their assigned time, or be rescheduled to arrive at x:xx pm if they arrive late, no exceptions.  Things WILL be different for at least the next 15-18 months at a minimum.

If the Pan Pacific in Vancouver is open, then staying there makes boarding almost seamless.

You call the bellman and your checked bags are taken to your onboard suite, all you need is your carry on and a ride down the elevator and a walk inside or out to the boarding area.

There are a few other hotels in Vancouver that offer the same luggage service but he Pan Pacific is the only one that is part of the cruise dock

You do have to clear US customs when you board.

A

Edited by AlanF65

We took a HAL cruise on Memorial Day weekend 2019 from Seattle, so who knows how this will change in 2021.  We took an Uber to Port 91 (less than 10 minutes from our hotel) and arrived around noon.  This was primarily because we wanted to do the tourist thing and walked around Pike Place and the Seattle waterfront for most of the morning.  :D   The port was super busy when we got there, there was also a Princess ship boarding at the same time.  We stood in line for probably 45 mins to an hour to do security/check in.  Everyone we encountered, from the Seattle porters to the HAL folks were super nice though.