Is Holland For Us???

many cruises

We are considering going on our first HAL Cruise on the Westerdam to the Caribbean in November 2006. We prefer a more refined cruise & really love the atmosphere on Celebrity & Princess. We enjoy the live music in the lounges, great food, and being pampered on a cruise. Our travel agent has been trying to get us to go on a HAL cruise for quite some time, but we are hesitating because we have read so much about the very elderly passenger base on HAL. We don't want to see the majority of passengers in walkers & wheelchairs. We are in our late 50's & early 60's, but like to have a good time & don't want activities to end on the ship at 9 PM. We enjoy eating at the late dinner seating & then going to the shows and bars for drinks & dancing. Will HAL be for us? :):)

Hi, Many Cruisers! As a Celebrity and HAL fan I believe you would be very happy on HAL. You say you're thinking of November and I would be interested in when...I wouldn't advise Thanksgiving week.

We were on the Oosterdam in early November 2004. There are definitely some older people on there just as you find on Celebrity, but it is by no means all old people.

We fit into your age group and pretty much enjoy just what you describe. You'll find people a lot younger, but you'll find many right in your age group. I have always been very up front about the fact that I personally believe the food and service in the dining room is better on Celebrity, but I understand things have improved on HAL since our last cruise.

I did prefer the food on the pool deck (tacos, hamburgers, etc.) to Celebrity and I believe the Lido is a cut above as well.

We've been on the Summit and Millennium and we do prefer the layout of those ships to HAL's Vista class. But HAL is a close second and I know many people who prefer HAL so it's all very subjective.

If you have any specific questions about the comparisons of the 2 lines, I hope you'll feel free to email me ... my address in in my signature:) .

The average passenger age on my most recent 10-day cruise on the Veendam was the oldest of the 4 HAL cruises I've taken. A variety of factors play into the age mix - time of year, length of cruise, departure port, destinations, etc.

Although the avg. age was 70+, the majority weren't in wheelchairs and didn't use walkers. In fact, I can think of 3 passengers in wheelchairs who I personally talked to who were in their 40s and 50s. One was injured and 2 were suffering from muscular diseases like MS. Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean they don't enjoy late night entertainment.

Roz

The "floating nursing home" reputation spread by some about Holland America is simply not true. Sure, their demographics are on the upside, but I've never seen more than a few weelchair-bound pax on any one cruise. And, as pointed out, these are not always older people. We have enjoyed meeting couples in their late 20s with small children onboard. And we've met 90+ pax who could run circles around many who were decades their junior.

Holland America offers a wonderful cruising experience, IMO. I'm confident you'll enjoy what they have to offer.

Once you have cruised on HAL, you won't want to cruise any other line.

I've read from an avid HAL fan that Celebrity is preferable in service, ships layout, onboard shopping, food and cabin appointments to HAL.

It also seems a tad more expensive, but you know what they say

you get what you pay for

Captain Crunch, I'm one of those loyal HAL fans who just happens to prefer Celebrity for all the reasons you mention. But running a close second to Celebrity is nothing to sneeze at!!!:D

In fact, we switched to a HAL cruise this November because the itinerary is better. So there's a lot to consider. I'm happy on either line ... just put me on one of them!!!

We have been long-time Princess cruisers who had taken one Celebrity cruise (which we did not like as well as Princess, despite the butler). Last year (December 2004) we decided to try HAL and LOVED it. We booked again for December of 2005 and the service was superb, even better than last year.

We are booked for two Princess cruises this spring. I'm hoping that they will live up to our HAL experience.

As for age of passengers - the age on our Dec. 2004 trip was not much older than Princess, but our Dec. 2005 trip had a lot more elderly people on it. The only difference I noted (since I am early to bed and early to rise) was that not as many left the ship when we were in port.

You'll never know until you try it.

Roberta

Roberta - haven't taken a Princess cruise since our first Celebrity cruise - but have taken two HAL cruises and found Oosterdam to be totally wonderful - we did miss the butler though - we've been so thoroughly spoiled by our X butlers - only once did we wish we didn't have one! (A little too obtrusive - but very good) - I heard that HAL would soon be returning to butlers but have yet to see anything confirming this.

Food is hard to compare - slightly different offerings which makes it nice as I'd hate to see ther same food on both lines - something has to make each distinctive.

I'll echo all Heather had to say - and certainly encourage anyone who has not been on HAL and who is comfortable with X to try HAL. I'm delighted to know we'll be back on board Oosterdam next month (and not one person has added to the Rollcall I started a couple of months ago! Sounds like we're traveling alone -)

OK - we're aged - mid 70s, but the highlight of a recent cruise was time spent with a couple in their 30s traveling with their 1 year old! We're not retired and have a lot in common with people of all ages who are interested in the same things we are - age doesn't come into it. At our table last year on O we had one couple where the husband was older than we are (the wife younger) - a couple who were probably in their late 40s and two gentlemen whom I would guess were either late 30s or early 40s - and we had one fantastic dinner hour (alright, we closed the dining room each night) - . We were on the dance floor every night (even though I was treading lightly on a recently repaired knee -)

Try HAL - you really have nothing to lose and probably will add a new love to your life.......

We will be leaving on our 10th HAL cruise in a couple of weeks. We did our first one when I was 47 and my wife was 44. We didn't find the crowd too "old" then, and we still don't. Of course, 15 years have gone by since our 1st HAL cruise, so we find the passenger group looks younger every year!

I am a 30-something who has cruised HAL both solo and with a companion in her 60's. I never felt out of place, and I saw people from 20s to 70's and up, and a decent enough mix that everyone seemed comfortable.

Celebrity is my second-favorite line, and like other posters haver said, while they each have different strangths they are roughly similar in overal quality/amenities.

Cheers,

Friday

I have to agree with my fellow HAL lovers. The view is that HAL is a nursing home cruise. When I booked my first cruise on HAL, quite a few people ask me why??

On both my cruises with HAL,there was a good mix of ages. On my last trip (Westerdam 2004), I met people from their early 20's to mid 70's. My best image was in the disco on the first night, you had a grandmother dancing with her grandkids (she was 60ish and the grandkids 20ish) and they were having a blast!!

On any cruiseline if you take a cruise longer than 10 days, the majority of these guest are older.

Take a chance with HAL, you will love it!!

Oosterdam 2004

Westerdam 2005

I think it comes down to what you want out of a vacation. We just got back from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii, and the average age was over 80. I asked some of the staff if that was common, and they stated that they had a younger group on the shorter cruises; the longer ones seemed to attract the elderly. I would have to say that a large majority of them could barely make it up and down the aisles, or were in wheelchairs. When we had to take the tender to the islands, it was a nightmare getting them transported.

It seemed the activities were all geared to that age group as well. "Name that tune of the 20's, 30's and 40's" is one example. 50's and 60's sock hop was another. I enjoy reading, but went through five books I was so bored. We are in our early 50's, traveling with parents, and they were younger than the majority of people. To top it off, the hot tub closed at 10, so if you had late dinner, it was shut down when you were finished dining; the spa closed at 8; steam room at 8, pool was closed.... Even the ping pong tables were shut down early. --so your choices after dining were extremely limited. I can read and play cards at home. All six of my travelling companions were very disappointed in what there was to choose from. If we do this again, we will choose a line with a larger variety of things to do on board, or one that spends more time with shore stops, and less sailing. One good thing about it was no one kept you up late at night partying!

...the average age was over 80....It seemed the activities were all geared to that age group as well. "Name that tune of the 20's, 30's and 40's" is one example.

Oh, I would have done fine with that! And I'm still looking at 50 (with a rear-view mirror, but still...).

I think it's nice that people of that age are still out living---not at home waiting to die. Hope I can be just like them someday.

I think it comes down to what you want out of a vacation. We just got back from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii, and the average age was over 80. I asked some of the staff if that was common, and they stated that they had a younger group on the shorter cruises; the longer ones seemed to attract the elderly. I would have to say that a large majority of them could barely make it up and down the aisles, or were in wheelchairs. When we had to take the tender to the islands, it was a nightmare getting them transported.

It seemed the activities were all geared to that age group as well. "Name that tune of the 20's, 30's and 40's" is one example. 50's and 60's sock hop was another. I enjoy reading, but went through five books I was so bored. We are in our early 50's, traveling with parents, and they were younger than the majority of people. To top it off, the hot tub closed at 10, so if you had late dinner, it was shut down when you were finished dining; the spa closed at 8; steam room at 8, pool was closed.... Even the ping pong tables were shut down early. --so your choices after dining were extremely limited. I can read and play cards at home. All six of my travelling companions were very disappointed in what there was to choose from. If we do this again, we will choose a line with a larger variety of things to do on board, or one that spends more time with shore stops, and less sailing. One good thing about it was no one kept you up late at night partying!

Oh, c'mon!!! Be serious. Majority over 80? I really doubt it, but if so I say good for them and more power to them!!!!:) I sure hope they enjoy tons more cruises before they're planted.

There are lots of reasons to close the hot tubs at 10 and it has nothing to do with the age of the passengers.

Nothing like a rowsing game of ping pong after dinner. I know I never miss it.

If you didn't want sailing time, you shouldn't have chosen a cruise to Hawaii leaving from CA. Big mistake.

Personally, it's darned hard to have a "name that tune" for any music much beyond the 70's, maybe 80's. There are no tunes after that.

I could go on for awhile, but why bother? Posts like this always get me all twisted up and then I remember why it's done and I tell myself to calm down.:)

I have to agree with Heather here. I took a 15 day Hawaii cruise sailing out of San Diego and there is no way that most of the passengers were over the age of 80. I am in my 50's and my husband is in his 60's. We always book late seating and enjoy late shows and lounges after our dinner. We also enjoy a leisurely dinner, 2-2 1/2 hours.

We have found that HAL privides an elegant, upscale, traditional cruise experience. We really enjoyed our Hawaiian cruise with 10 sea days and 5 port intensive days in Hawaii. The ship did not shut down at night. The days were filled with lots of activities for those who wanted to participate in them.

HAL has upgraded their spa,has a state of the art media center and instituted a Culinary Arts Center. I do not see any reason that people of any age would have a problem enjoying themselves on a HAL ship. they have a teen center and children's program.

We book suites and enjoy extensive concierge services and a suite lounge.

There is no way that this is a floating nursing home!

Linda

Personally, it's darned hard to have a "name that tune" for any music much beyond the 70's, maybe 80's. There are no tunes after that.

Heather. Dear, dear Heather. You know that I agree with you about so many things, but---they stopped writing music sometime around 1950.

LOL, Ruth!!!:) Believe it or not I was trying to show I have an open mind;)

And besides, I really did love my Beegees, not to mention Neil Diamond who is a product of the 70's. So I had to include the 70's. I only mentioned 80's to make it look like I wasn't discriminatory.

So we're basically on the same page as usual.:D

In two HAL cruises (Prinzendam in Med, Ryndam to Baja) we've found the demographic to be 20's to 80's, but few children (but we cruise when the children are supposed to be in school). In our late 50's, we are in the middle, we meet people our childrens' age, people our parents' age. No more 10-20 passengers, of 800 to 1200, at a stage where they need help to get around (but that small number is noticable).

There seems to be a preference among the older passengers for early seatings, so they can see a show, be in bed by 10-11 PM. This leaves more room in the lounges for the 1/3 to 1/2 of passengers who will be partying for a couple more hours.

The HAL travelers we've met so far have mostly been "active with leisure time." Some retired and semi-retired professionals and businessmen, retired salaried workers, ministers and educators on sabbatical, and a few successful younger people who are taking extended breaks from their business or some time off between projects. Most seem to be more interested in the destinations than in extracting the most from life aboard ship. The ship is where they take care of us, on the way to the next place.

We met few people who are on a two-week vacation from a busy working life, trying to pack in as much fun as they can before going back to the grind. The pace is more "be relaxed about how we relax," rather than frantic hard partying.

We have been on two HAL Cruises. We are early 60s. First 2 years ago in August was to Alaska. Ages were very mixed. Everyone at our table of 8 was younger than us. There were quite a few children. Last year we did Venice to Venice in October and we were definitely at the younger end of the age scale. Both cruises had dancing in the Crow's Nest every night and some nights in the Ocean Bar. Not sure about other activites. We did attend some shows, but usually relaxed in the Explorer's Lounge to the live string, light classical music.

As someone else said - no wild parties to keep us awake, but quite amazed at the use of the Internet by us old codgers!

We are considering going on our first HAL Cruise on the Westerdam to the Caribbean in November 2006. We prefer a more refined cruise & really love the atmosphere on Celebrity & Princess. We enjoy the live music in the lounges, great food, and being pampered on a cruise. Our travel agent has been trying to get us to go on a HAL cruise for quite some time, but we are hesitating because we have read so much about the very elderly passenger base on HAL. We don't want to see the majority of passengers in walkers & wheelchairs. We are in our late 50's & early 60's, but like to have a good time & don't want activities to end on the ship at 9 PM. We enjoy eating at the late dinner seating & then going to the shows and bars for drinks & dancing. Will HAL be for us? :):)

I'm curious why your TA has been urging a HAL cruise if you enjoy Celebrity? The Westerdam is a very nice ship and if you've been to the Caribbean a couple of times then it really doesn;t matter what the ports are, the ship's the thing, to paraphrase W.S. Ther majority of pax will not be in wheel chairs and walkers.

Check out the reviews of HAL by the professional critics on this site as well as a few others to find a more objective report.

We're in our late 40s, early 50s, we like music from the 1940s right on through 2006. We were just on the Oosterdam last week. The atmosphere was refined, the ship beautiful, food delicious, service professional and friendly. The majority of passengers were not in wheelchairs/walkers. The youngsters and oldsters we met were all nice friendly folks. Everyone seemed to be having a good time - us included.

I've read from an avid HAL fan that Celebrity is preferable in service, ships layout, onboard shopping, food and cabin appointments to HAL.

It also seems a tad more expensive, but you know what they say

you get what you pay for

i`ll second that

Archived