River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Oh I have only given up on summer. My hopes are pinned on a short shopping trip to Kent before Christmas. But I will be sad about not seeing "the North" this year. Beyond Cambridge is where I feel happier than in the South. It has been a long time since I was in your neck of the woods. One of these days I will make it to Bath. I know, I know, just need to see the Baths and the Crescent once in my life, will not stay overnight there I think. I have turned into a small-town loving girl.

I think I am going to spend a day in Cambridge in November....! I want to spend more time there but I can only spare a day.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:40 PM, notamermaid said:

That's right, you all have a good laugh at my expense. :classic_biggrin: I have to deal with these words on a daily basis!

:classic_biggrin:

I just say one thing to you: Übergrößengeschäft. Try typing this on your English keyboards. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

It actually is pretty easy on Apple products. I work with foreign language faculty members and they do it all the time. 

One way to find weird wonderful and strange words - teaching Girl Guides how to map read (okay out of date now) they had to find place names they did not understand or thought were a bit ‘of the wall’ and work out the grid reference. Young teenage girls leave nothing to the imagination and trying to keep a straight face was painful. I enjoyed every minute working with them but my my did I extend my vocabulary.

Okay I agree  Notamermaid  as we don’t have those twiddly bits over letters, they lost me in language lessons and still do.

• 2 weeks later...

After finally getting my April-May river cruise reviews posted, I have now completely caught up by posting the review of my July-August Baltic cruise on Noble Caledonia's Hebridean Sky.  Two big similarities to river cruising:  the ship only holds 118 passengers and all shore excursions are included in the fare.

• Like 1

@Host Jazzbeau some logistic questions came to mind when I looked at the travel company website. I haven’t read your detailed posts yet.

Did you book directly with them or use a TA?

Their on-line published fares are in £, how was your booking handled?

I noticed that the published fare includes air. I assume that isn’t the case from the “colonies,” or is it.

Noble Caledonia only has a uk site, and a phone number to their London office.  All trips are quoted (and charged) in GBP.  Published fares include airfare from/to London – but if you want to fly direct you get a credit (not very much, because Noble gets good bulk fares from BA).  I don't think Noble does much business with TAs – I was able to book my first trip through one and get a 5% rebate, but after that you get a 5% discount by booking direct so that's what I have done.  I usually email them and have a reply first thing the next morning – but to pay I call their London office via Skype (costs pennies per call).  My Citi Costco Visa has no foreign transaction fees and gives me back 3% on travel, so with Noble's discount that's almost 8% off list.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

CPT silly question but are you on the US site or the U.K. site?

I went to the site linked from Mr.Google when I searched Nobel Caledonia. As I see from HJB’s reply this was the UK site.

@Host JazzbeauMany thanks. The exchange rate is quite favorable, so paying with Costco is a good deal. Now to read your review/blog . . .

Yeh silly me. There was a TV piece about this cruise, well not so recently but it must be floating (ha ha ) around the ether somewhere DH and I where really impressed. Note must look into adding it to our yearly excursion to Bonny Scotland, not this year as we leave in less than two weeks for our highland sojourn.

My first thought was “Budweiser? I thought they were allowing beer.” Then I remembered that Bud was a sponsor and the only beer allowed in the venues. Seems they leveraged that to the only beer in the nation. 
There will be a lot of disgruntled fans, especially those from 🇧🇪 and 🇩🇪

Well we are off to Bonny Scotland tomorrow all four off us all narrow-boaters and no-where near a navigable river, the Dee is far to shallow for any boat but very picturesque it will be interesting to see how shallow it is, will report on our return. We’re just up the road from our lovely fingers crossed she’s fine. If any one needs info on Scotch whisky we’re more than happy to oblige!

On 9/8/2022 at 12:24 PM, Canal archive said:

Well we are off to Bonny Scotland tomorrow

I had never realized that the Dee in Aberdeen refers to the river. So you will be quite a way up in Scotland. Never been that far North.

Have a great time.

notamermaid

Packing now, our lovely Queen has approved our new Prime Minister at Balmoral which is just up the road from our home from home so we expect more security than usual although it’s so very laid back in the highlands you wold not believe. I’ve tried to upload a photo but for some reason it’s a no go.  Never mind I will try during our week here.

We will be a few miles from Balmoral with fingers well and truly crossed. Due to leave home at 9.00pm tomorrow overnight at Hamilton and arrive on Saturday. Looks like once again the news crews will be in full flow. Our thoughts are with the royal family the law of our nation could very well be in hiatus for some time. Will try and keep you all up to date with anything we hear locally. Our Scottish friends/ locals always know far more than the so called news crews. The TV pictures are of the front gate of Balmoral.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

since the meeting yesterday with the new PM.

If I was the new PM that would make me feel awkward. All the best to the most splendid old lady.

Day before yesterday my neighbour fell down the stairs. The paramedics that picked her up did no sound too concerned but she is over 90. Hopefully I will hear good news from the hospital (through her family) in the next few days.

notamermaid

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

A wonderful woman has died servant to her country the commonwealth and the world so very very sad what a loss.

She will be missed.

She was a wonderful symbol of Britain, and helped the country remain united through some trying times.  As an American, I believe she showed how a monarchy can be an asset to a country.  I hope that will continue.

• Like 5

My, what a week, first I read about my boss's impending retirement, then I find my neighbour in pain on the staircase, then I go shopping and return to find the Western World changed.

My condolences to the UK and the Commonwealth and the family in particular. A great grandmother that will be missed. As my adopted Royal family in this German republic that I live in I will raise my glass to a true servant over dinner. What an achievement.

notamermaid

• Like 4